[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Exit here
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2
Alright... I am 28 years old, male, fit, attractive, intelligent, normal dude. I have travelled a lot throughout my entire life, seen a lot, experienced a lot. Nothing about the way we live here in modern society feels right to me. I hate it. It makes no sense to me that we are supposed to spend our lives toiling away for pieces of paper, working. Life is meant to be lived free, and this, to me, is not a free society. Yes, we are allowed more privileges, but we are not truly free. Am I the only one who feels this way? I want to disconnect from the institutions of society altogether. I know I am not alone. So what do I do? What do we do? Life can't be about this, just because we are conditioned to believe it so.
>>
>>17363615
ever read henry david thoreau?

you're not alone in feeling the way you do. unfortunately modern society doesn't provide many means of escaping from it.

if you're willing to live ascetically for a few years and save money, you might be able to buy land somewhere remote and live off the grid. not many people do it, and I doubt they all succeed. it means basically never having anything "nice" again unless you make it yourself or become an expert dumpster diver.

start learning how to make everything from scratch: food, furniture, tools, anything you think you might need to live. learn how to farm. also learn some handy trades that will let you earn money doing odd jobs, because even if you make and grow everything yourself, you will still need to pay property taxes and have a bit of money for emergencies.

I have been thinking of doing this for years, but I have always been too chicken to try it. and now that I am disabled and married to another disabled person, idk if it would ever work. I hope you have the courage to at least try while you can.
>>
Walden is always funny to me; if Thoreau hadn't had help from his mom and some of his friends (including Emerson, who owned the land he built the cabin on) that dumb fuck would have starved to death. OP, if you don't want to work to support yourself as part of the "system," your choices are to become independently wealthy and live the way you want, find some poor girl or family member to sponge off of until they get tired of your shit, or live the exciting life of a hobo until you inevitably freeze to death under an overpass or get TB. Good luck!
>>
Also, OP, modern society? What? Even back in the time of the neanderthal, if you didn't bust ass to catch that antelope or mammoth, you starved to death and that was that. There was no magic utopia time where all humans could live free and do whatever they wanted with no consequences. Working for money today is just the modern equivalent of chasing the mammoth.
>>
File: 1462473254004.jpg (42 KB, 500x442) Image search: [Google]
1462473254004.jpg
42 KB, 500x442
>>17363615
>OP
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.