[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I stop disliking people? I always make these snap impressions/judgements
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: 1423612954264.jpg (50 KB, 400x462) Image search: [Google]
1423612954264.jpg
50 KB, 400x462
How do I stop disliking people? I always make these snap impressions/judgements of people I meet and 90% of the time I dislike them right off the bat. Its really hampering my efforts to be more friendly with my gf's friends.

I'm not that antisocial, nor do I have issues making friends; I'm generally well-liked enough and most people think I'm chill at best, standoffish at worst.

Its just that for some reason, 80% of the people my gf introduces me to, I end up having a bad feeling about them. Just by their quirks or manner of speaking or demeanor. She knows I'm judgy as fuck and keeps asking me to try to be friendlier since those are her only friends, but I really don't like to be around them, and avoid interaction whenever possible. They just rub me the wrong way in every way possible.

What do?
I'd like to be more supportive of my gf, especially since she doesn't have many friends, but I simply do not like the people she's hanging out with.
>>
Try being more optimistic.
>>
This is part of your personality and not something that you're going to change overnight. The first step is acknowledgement: realize that you are unfairly judgmental. If you don't get along with 90% of the people then the issue is yours and you are judging on very shallow and/or trivial grounds. Also realize that you miss out on a lot of cool people this way. Hell, even if they aren't all around nice, you can still learn a lot from interaction with people outside of your comfort zone/who are not exactly on your wavelength. That you don't physically walk away means little, if you decide right off the bat that someone's not worth your time it's hard to change that mindset, and you'll perceive them from that starting point which is a shame for you more than anyone else.

Secondly, for this particular situation, a few things. If you really hate these girls and your girlfriends thinks they are amazing people... where does that difference in opinion come from? Does she have sides that you are oblivious of because you like her, that will form a problem down the road? Or are you taking the time to look beyond the shallow first impression with her (because she sparked something in you) but not her ultimately equally alright friends?
And, obviously, not being able to look beyond this first judgment will harm your relationship down the road. You are waiting for hostility and resentment from your girlfriend if you obviously look down on people not just important to her, but making up her entire social support network.
You are absolutely not being supportive by avoiding her friends whenever you can. Solely the fact that they matter to her should be an incentive to appreciate them one way or another.

Other than that food for thought I have little concrete advice but to push through your initial impression and keep trying. Even if it renders little result, at least she sees that you are really trying for her. (And not alienating her from her social circle, abuser 101 style.)
>>
>>17360364
How though? I keep telling myself that they're just people, they're the way they are, and I shouldn't be a judgy fuck, but its ingrained in me to be that way.
And then when they say something, I cringe internally.
>>
>>17360378
I do realize I'm judging on very shallow grounds; literally things like "the sound of her voice" or "the way she smiles" or "what she finds funny." I'm annoyed at this aspect of myself, to judge on literally fucking nothing.

The reason, to me, is that these people were really open to my gf when she started working (they're coworkers.) One of them is really bubbly and kinda pushy, and my gf had been feeling lonely, in the sense that she doesn't have good friends. So she latched onto this coworker. They're also both weeaboos, which is another thing that ticks me: my gf is more reserved about it, while the other fucking "~nyaaas" and "~uguus" un-ironically. The difference is mainly obnoxiousness.

I know I'm not being supportive, but I want to be. She's often tried to include me in their gatherings, but I decline, because I know that my presence will ultimately be detrimental, because I'll be aloof. I encourage her to hang out and form bonds with them, but I don't want to be involved.
>>
>>17360414
You are contradicting yourself. You are saying that you are annoyed with this aspect of yourself, yet you indulge it nonetheless. That's not how you change. If you really feel like you're in the wrong to be this way then it shouldn't be too much to ask to change your behavior, even if you can't change your underlying feelings right away.

There's also the point that you are not going to learn to look past first impressions when you allow yourself to just avoid people who failed you on the first impression. Now I am not saying that I would be thrilled to hang around people who nyaaa (I hope that this is in the sixteen-eighteen age range), but ultimately her having an annoying habit that she's going to grow out of and cringe at herself in some time, is not comparable to you writing someone off based on them having the wrong voice or using annoying phrases. Does her being a weeaboo really outweigh that she went out of her way to engage your girlfriend when she was all alone? What says more about her character here?

Again, you say that you want to be supportive, yet you don't want to do the most logical thing in order to show support. If you go there and be aloof, that's easier to play off (tired, bit of a headache) than you never being there. What's your girl supposed to tell her friends? "Sorry, my boyfriend feels above enduring your presence"? It is normal for her to be excited about introducing people she likes to each other, and it is normal in a relationship to occasionally sit through things that bore or annoy you senseless. Do you really think that in ten years, you're going to look back on this and be happy that you didn't indulge her spontaneous desire to have both her boyfriend and her friends gathered around her because of a girl going "nyaa"? Or will you think that your priorities were fucked?
>>
>>17360443
I more meant that I know I do it, more as a reflex. And recognizing that it's going to cause more issues later on down the road, I want to figure out what the best mindset is going to be to stop.

I don't think she's a bad person. Like I said, she's definitely more outgoing and more friendly than I am by a long shot, and made my gf feel welcome at work, taking initiative in making the gf feel like a part of the team. I realize all these traits, but in the end, have a near-instinctual aversion to hanging out with that person. (also, she's 22, same as gf, I'm 21.)
Another part of the reason I don't want to hang out with them is that I definitely do feel like the odd one out in a group of 3-4 girls, as the only boy, much less boyfriend. I feel like its more of a "girls night out" I mean, if I hang out with my group of guy friends, even if their girlfriends hang out too, my gf will decline because she thinks "they're your friends, I'm just a girl."

I know these sound like bad excuses, and that's probably me trying to rationalize my prejudices. Do you have some sort of internal monologue I can try to practice?
>>
>>17360342
Freud-style: what you dislike in people is tendencies you really hate in yourself. You just witness someone being annoying and go like "omfg how dare she nyaaaa's while I would love to just go around spouting meme's but I don't". So your superego which doesn't tolerate things in you, doesn't tolerate things in other people.

Scrapping the freudian bullshit, the important stuff to realize is that (a) you are a different person than others and what doesn't work for you does work for others, good for them, don't get your jimmies rustled over other people's behaviour and (b) you don't have to like them.
You can dislike someone and keep the reason to yourself, like "we just don't get along" or "for some unknown reason she gets on my nerves" even if you know the reason.

Let your gf hang out with who she wants, and drag her along to your friends as well since she's a bit solitary.
>>
You're the kind of person that's good at understanding body language, personality and patterns

For example
>if someone does action A it means they're personality type B

You need to understand what kind of people you SHOULD tolerate instead of hate, but know to stay away from the bad ones you recognize are "too much".

It can only be a problem when you choose friends for your GF. That's abusive. Other than that you're an adult who can stay away from anyone you'd like.
>>
>>17360470
>she's 22
That's a shame, that definitely makes it more irksome.

But either way, rationally realizing that this is the case isn't the same as experiencing it for yourself. For example, if you went there and this weeaboo girl really tried to make you feel involved and welcome, I am sure that it would be harder to feel as annoyed towards her than it is now, only knowing theoretically that she's friendly and not having felt it directed towards you. I don't see how you can really tackle these thoughts other than engaging in the reality of it and forcing yourself to get to know people a bit better. As I already pointed out, right now you are very much giving in to the way you feel, which is never going to make you change.

Whether you are the odd one out has much more to do with their attitude towards you than your sex. Sure, if she's the only one with a boyfriend, I am certain that her friends don't appreciate you being dragged along every time so they can never talk as girls among each other. But showing up once in a while just shows that you are open towards the people your girlfriend likes, and they will appreciate getting to know you a bit better.

Having said that, your girlfriend doesn't really have a leg to stand on if she doesn't come along to meet your friends. Not that this means you shouldn't try either... how do you feel about her not coming along?

Try to frame it in your head as a challenge, like your initial assumption is that it will suck and you are going to sit the night out and leave the best impression you can. You might have less difficulties finding people bothersome if you don't try to like them right away. Focus on your own behavior. If they start being annoying, come in between and ask an interested question to get a real conversation going again. If you start thinking something like a girl's laugh being annoying, firmly tell yourself to stop and become more involved in the group to distract yourself from your thoughts.
>>
>>17360342
I have this same problem, I think a lot of people have this actually. Some are better at hiding it than others.
>>
>>17360483
The superego part makes sense to me, and I can see that a a reason why I feel annoyed.

I do let her hang out, and encourage her to go to all of the invites. She just wants me to be more involved, and I don't really want to be, because of my prejudices. Like, if we run into one of her friends out and about, they'll stop and talk, and I'll hang back and keep an eye out. That, or if they're on bus and talk to each other, I'll leave them to it. My gf later tells me (nicely, mind you) that she would like it if I was friendlier and got involved in conversation with them too.
>>
>>17360499
Just make polite conversation then.
School/work, weather, holidays/weekend activities. You should survive a bus ride. Just don't go with them for a restaurant dinner or such.
>>
>>17360504
Noted: I'll just try to pretend as if I'm making small talk with a hairdresser or something like that. I just don't really want to get personal, you know?
>>
>>17360520
Yep. You can censor a lot of stuff about you and have them talk about themselves.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.