[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any poetry writers in here? Tips for a beginner? How can I learn
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: 1466279174203.jpg (50 KB, 960x719) Image search: [Google]
1466279174203.jpg
50 KB, 960x719
Any poetry writers in here? Tips for a beginner? How can I learn more words besides the traditional reading ?
>>
>>17357611
When writing, it's the insides that are fighting.
Learn to let go, letting your mind flow.
>>
I'm more of a prose writer, but I have written poetry and know some poets/am familiar with the scene.

For a beginner, I'd say the very first step is to read a lot of poetry and especially different poets. It is an extremely freestyle kind of medium that different people give very different interpretations of. One of the bigger issues people tend to have with poetry is that they have this fixed idea of what poetry is like, which disables them from really writing personally and finding their own voice and style.

An easy and fun assignment you can try is to pick random texts, like a newspaper article, and create something poetic just from words in there. It forces you to think creatively and by association, and while it will never/hardly ever result in quality work it does give you a glimpse at what it's like to work with an unorthodox association.

As for my own experience, I find that it comes easiest to me to write poems just based on language. Perhaps also because I am just an amateur, not sure about that. What I mean is that for me there's no such thing as seeing something beautiful and writing a poem about it, that always becomes trite. My better pieces were inspired by realizing that certain words look alike and evoke similar images, or something funny in the language that you use. Or perhaps an entirely random observation. There's no use for me in forcibly chasing a poem "out there" because I want to write it, I have to work with the inspiration that hits me and roll with whatever direction that goes into.

Good luck! It's lots of fun.
>>
just general writing advice:

-Write everyday at a set time, treat it like work. Inspiration is a bullshit myth, writing takes time and persistence.

-Read everyday, read closely. If you encounter words you don't know write them down and practice using them.

-Keep your early writing simple and straightforward

-Your early writing will be derivative, read poets that you like and try to emulate their style. You're just trying different things out, eventually you need to move past that.
>>
>>17357618
Totally not vague and poetry will never turn cheesy or corny this way
>>
Do you guys find Rap helpful.
>>
Write about wild horses breaking free and lighthouses in a storm. Maybe throw in a purple lake.

Make sure everything rhymes
>>
>>17357753
Can someone try this ?
>>
Get a rhyming dictionary, a thesaurus is awesome as well.
>>
>>17357831
Didn't know they made rhyming Dictionary
>>
>>17357842
Language is a wonderful thing, in this horrid world it keeps me breathing
>>
>>17358310
Teach me how to keep breathing anon
>>
>>17357611

Learn the foundations and styles of poetry. Too many wannabe poets try to get straight into what they think is free verse and is really just mental diarrhea prose with random line breaks and grammar apathy.

Learn the rules and how to apply them before you start bending or breaking them.
>>
>>17357831

Rhymezone.com is a decent source. Dont use it to build poems, use it to enhance them.
>>
Plagiarize shit all day every day. Obviously don't publish it or anything. But keep a journal and just write down poems that you like, think about why you like them, and what you could add to them. Write something of you own in somebody else's style. Imagine how they developed their poetry.
>>
I would say to read poetry and have more life experiences. Books will raise your vocabulary, but I assume poetry is more about harnessing the vocabulary you do know. Maybe read about some specific things you want to write poetry about. If you wanted to write a poem about war, you would read books about personal accounts of being in war. Ya dig?
>>
Any anon willing to drop some poetry they've written?
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.