[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is getting help from an online forum considered plagiarism?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: laptop-student-getty.jpg (18 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
laptop-student-getty.jpg
18 KB, 250x250
Is getting help from an online forum considered plagiarism?
>>
Collaborative writing, co-writing of any kind is plagiarism. Discussion to refine your ideas is not. Don't be like the chinese losers that copy paste their whole essay.
>>
>>16506092
Basically I was caught in a snag for an assignment for programming, did some research in some forums, found a solution that uses concepts the prof. has already taught us, and went on my merry way
>>
>>16506086
Professor here.

If talking about your ideas with others helps you refine them, that's OK.

If somebody gives you an idea you didn't have on your own, and you then develop it more fully and put it in your own words, that's OK with a slight tinge of grey area.

If you use someone else's idea without making it your own in any way, that's plagiarism just as if you took the idea from a book and just changed the wording.

If you use someone else's words that's plagiarism just as if you copied them from a book.
>>
>>16506104
>Professors actually use 4chan

goddamn
>>
>>16506098
Isn't programming one of those things where collaboration is kind of encouraged?

My buddy went through for the same thing and his professor told them "if you ever get stuck coding, remember you probably aren't the first coder to have this problem. On some forum somewhere there's probably a solution. However, always try to figure it out for yourself first."
>>
Programmer, here.

The only way you're ever going to get busted for plagiarism is if you literally hand in someone elses program as your own.

Going online to figure out how to do a few lines isn't going to get you in shit. It's called doing research.
>>
>>16506110
it doesn't take that long to become one you know
doctors are on 4chan too
what
you believe that 30 year old virgins can be here, but a 28 year old doctor or professor is suddenly weird
>>
>>16506234
What boards do you frequent?

I think my shock comes from the fact I browse /v/, /mu/ and /co/ and those boards tend to scream angry social reject (/co/ slightly less than the others, but whatever)
>>
>>16506110

The guy who claims to be a professor has been caught in lies multiple times, he is probably a TA at most.

I'm sure all kinds of people come here. Probably hard to believe if you're like 16 that the uncool go to the same forums that you do, but when you get older you'll realize that just because you get older you don't just magically stop liking the things you liked as a kid as some people would have you believe.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.