[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Therapy/Counseling
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1
I need to start therapy for my own sake. It's something I've been putting off for quite some time and suffering because of it. It's very easy for me to sweep this under the rug day after day when I get caught up in other things that need my attention; it's been a challenge to prioritize my own needs.

I'm not really sure how to go about finding a therapist in the first place. I have a list of different ones through my insurance provider that are nearby, but do I really just pick any of them and go down the list until I find someone right for me? Are there any better ways of tackling this? Do you know if it's a good match after the first session or should you give it a few weeks before deciding?
>>
>>17355415
if you have a GP/family doctor, you can ask if they recommend anybody specific. sometimes medical folks and mental health folks move in similar circles, they probably hear who's good and who's not. only do this if you trust your doc to recommend someone good, and not just someone who's their personal friend. (though if the person is their friend and is also good, that's fine too)

otherwise yeah, basically go down the list. google them up and see if there are any reviews. if you want to get detailed about it, look them up on the map and see where they're located. if the office is in a skeevy part of town, they may not be very good and you may not want to go there. also call around and ask to schedule an appointment. most good places will be booked a few weeks or even a couple months out. call them all and ask when their first available is. if there are 5 clinics in town and 4 of them are booked up for the next month, but the 5th has a suspiciously empty schedule, take that as a sign. the sooner appointment isn't always better.

but you also have to weigh that with how badly you feel you need to see someone. sometimes even a crummy therapist is better than no therapist, if you're just going for a few sessions to get some of your issues out in the open while you wait for one of the better clinics to call you back.

and yes: some people do have to go to a few different therapists before they find one they like. if you get a bad feeling from the therapist right off the bat, go elsewhere. otherwise give it at least a month or two.
>>
>>17355519
thanks! I really appreciate it.

I don't even have a GP right now- that's also on my to-do list. But I'll just do my research.
>>
>>17355536
no problem OP, good luck! hope you get things sorted
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.