[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A few months ago I had a small disagreement with one of my instructors
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1
File: teacher-4.jpg (207 KB, 1280x854) Image search: [Google]
teacher-4.jpg
207 KB, 1280x854
A few months ago I had a small disagreement with one of my instructors (sort of like a TA, just not called that) in a college class. It was truly an incredibly minor visual judgement. I don't recall exactly what I said, but I don't think it was out of line, I simply stated my opinion and completed the task based on my own judgement. I don't think I said anything rude.

On the day that it happened, the main teacher of the class came in and asked how everyone was doing / how the assignment was going. The instructor replied with a joke, saying "Anon is actually teaching ME about how to do X, Y, and Z, Ha Ha". At the time I didn't really think anything of it, I just laughed along. However, in light of other interactions and comments by said instructor, I can't help but look back on it and find that statement incredibly contemptuous and hostile.

In the time since, this person has called me "defensive" in a formal evaluation, and has continually made sarcastic comments about me being a know it all. I honestly don't understand what this person's fucking problem is. I don't typically talk much in classes; it's not like I'm one of those people who draws attention to themselves to show off.

Is there any good way to deal with this? It's not like I can make a formal complaint. I only have to interact with this person for a few more months, so I suppose the easiest thing to do would be nothing.
>>
>>17354866
Some people are just jerks. Given time, even they may show you their good sides.
>>
>>17354866

Consider having sex with them
>>
>>17354866
Most people in positions of authority don't like being challenged. The less secure that authority, the less they're capable of coping with it well.

To take his insecurity as "contemptuous and hostile", well, whatever. I wasn't there, I don't know if your judgment is fucked up though I think it probably is.

Does it matter what his evaluation of you is from an attitude standpoint? Like does this mean anything aside from this class, and is it even part of your grade? Because if it's meaningless, it's worth considering whether or not it's a reasonable perception of you but ultimately isn't worth much more than that.

If it's something that's actually meaningful, like it's going to affect what other classes you can get into or if it can affect your grade and you think this guy is trying to sandbag you, I'd probably ask for a meeting with him and the actual professor in charge of the class to discuss the evaluation. I'm also pretty confrontational so I'd probably ask "Hey, when you say I'm 'defensive', do you mean like how you freaked out when I pointed out whatever in the lesson a few months ago? Because I'm trying to figure out if this is a good-faith evaluation you've given me and what behavior specifically is responsible for you saying this, or if you're just still butthurt about me pointing out that you're were wrong."
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.