[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Redpill me on haggling, I just got a job at a resale store where
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: Relaxing.gif (879 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
Relaxing.gif
879 KB, 500x400
Redpill me on haggling, I just got a job at a resale store where a lot of merchandise isn't priced so I have to set prices when costumers ask "How much is this?" and I'm kind of bad at looking at something and pricing it on the spot. Most of the items we get is like used hardware, or donated appliances and furnishings.

It's hard for me to like look at a doorknob, sink, lamp, bag of screws/tiles and just be able to come up with a price. I'm afraid if I say too high of a number they costumer won't buy it, if I say too low of a number I'll lose the store money. I've never worked in a job where I had to set prices on the spot and like haggle with the costumers, it's all kind of new to me.
>>
>>17351683

Cool you get to act like Pawn Stars.

But it's resale, so pretty low stakes. Half of being confident is sticking to your rules, whether they make sense or not. So have a general outline: Open with a low-normal, and accept down to 65-75% of that in a counter. Stick to this script with confidence. If the customer won't take it, don't just end on stony silence, lead them to something else. Practice having interesting banter.

But if you're trying to come up with your opener for the first time when a customer asks, you're doing it wrong. When the customer asks "how much," it's a bad look to furrow your brow in confusion/contemplation, mull it over, and spit out a number. Makes it look like you're just making it up, and it has no rhyme or reason to it. You should come in early (or stay late), inventory what you have and get an idea of opener well in advance.

Of course you'll still be making it up, but it will *appear* as though there is some logical rationale behind it, and the appearance of legitimacy will sell the customer on you.

It's a lot of fun. I had no idea I was a charismatic person until I took a similar job.
>>
>>17352111
Good advice, but we get a lot of Mexicans in the store who can't speak English, or it's broken English so it can be hard to communicate with them. Also what should I do if a costumer says something like "Oh wow, that's way more than I thought it would be." Should I let them make a counter offer? Like can I say "Well what price did you have in mind?" See I don't want to do this because they might say a super low number to get it for the cheapest they can, I guess I can hear their counter offer and say something like "Well that's a bit low, but I can meet you in the middle. Or can you come up a bit?"

Of course I feel like you have some costumers that will justify their low price like "Oh it's rusted, or used and you can see it's damaged slightly, etc." I don't know if I can really justify the price I tell them, like if they say "Well can you tell me why you're asking so much for it?" I guess I can say that it's similar to this product and that's how much we charge for a similar product, either way I'm just not good at randomly appraising or pulling a price out of my ass.

I know you said I should have a number already in my head when they ask how much something is, I'm just so afraid it'll be either too high or too low, as you said I guess the only way to fix this is to look around the store and see how much things are priced for. But half the stuff in the store isn't even priced, so I don't have anything to look at for comparison on prices. If a costumer asks me "How much is this?" and holds up something that I have no idea how much to charge for it I kind of get anxious or nervous, I could just give a quick-fire answer like "Oh it's $3.00" and see how they respond. Some might say "Oh, alright thanks." or they might be surprised or upset saying "Really? $3.00 for this?"

I've only just started working there and I know practice makes perfect, I'll get better at it over time but it's a new experience for me. I'm so use to merchandise already being priced
>>
Just become the jew anon
>>
>>17352111
I like having a support notebook.
Even if it's not written there, fumbling with it gives you a bit of time to come up with a price, and an air of legitimacy (how much for that? let me check...)
>>17352187
It depends on how the sales are going.
If something is just taking up space, you can accept a lowball. If something's hot... tell'em NO.
Often people will counteroffer and haggle just to get a discount, but would buy at your price anyway.
>>
>>17352187
take time and experience to get it right. I would always say err on the higher side it gives you more leverage.

If they ask something like why so much, say "I sold a few similar pieces last week at that price, What were you looking to spend?" Expect a lowball offer, and at that point negotiate. "Well I can't let i go for $X but I could go down to (some price inbetween)"

If they point out some flaws you have some choices on what to say, you can agree and say "Oh I didn't notice that, how about if I knock X amount off the price?" Or you can say, "well that's already figured into my pricing" or you can say 'well you have to expect some wear on an item like this" You could also say something like it adds to the charm.

Definitely have a price in mind, do you have colleagues? Can you pick their brains and just kind of ask how they categorize and price?

Mexicans and in my experience Arabs (since I live in an area with a lot of recent middle eastern immigrants) are the worst to negotiate with. They haggle, haggle, haggle with no shame whatsoever. Don't let them push you down to a price you aren't comfortable with, you need to have an absolute bottom dollar and stick with it. "Sorry, but $X is the lowest I can go", don't let them goad you into a price you don't like.
>>
>>17351683
Take a little time to look through the stock that is priced, to get a sense of the range. If most of the plumbing bits are a dollar or two, give that as the price for an untagged bit. If you don't see any toasters under $10, assume an unmarked electric mixer is about the same price.

You'll get it wrong once in a while, and someone will walk away with a big bargain. But it's not the end of the world.
>>
>>17352187

Of course you're going to get some customers are going to either act surprised the price is so high, or point out dents, or lowball, or whatever. They're trying to get a good deal. But you'll find out that most will not be very good at this, and can either be talked back into range or directed to something else.

Having go-to justifications is important. >>17352352 has some good examples of what you can say in response. Take 5 minutes, sit down and plan out a few that will work for you. 3 options you can say if they point out condition. 3 options if lowball. Good-natured humor is good. Doesn't take long! And having a plan makes you much more confident starting out.

If you're anxious, remember that many people you'll be haggling with will be too. No one likes being thought of as unfair, or a cheat. Most people don't like conflict, and will look for reasons to avoid it, including accepting your legitimacy. You just have to give them enough reason to do so.

If they walk out without buying anything, but feel good, happy, all that stuff you feel when you had a good conversation with someone, theyll be back and buy something next time, and tell their friends about the place. And remember, it's a used toaster, not a family heirloom. If they just don't want it at any remotely fair price, move on and keep it positive.
>>
>>17351683
This is shit you should be asking your boss.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.