[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Life Advice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: DEPRESSION.jpg (125 KB, 2000x1000) Image search: [Google]
DEPRESSION.jpg
125 KB, 2000x1000
Hi /b/

I need some anonymous life advice.

>be me
>be 22 years old, working as a network engineer with lots of potential
>have competitive gaming as a much loved hobby
>have gf that I love more than anything in the world.

For the last 2 years of my professional career I have had no motivation to do anything other than the bare minimum. This cancerous behaviour has started to take me back to depression I experienced in my youth. These days I have no motivation to do anything apart from see my girlfriend and play counterstrike with a moderately good team in a region of the world were it wont be possible to make a living anywhere near my current salary for at least the coming 10 years.

It has become so bad that I never tidy my room or even make an effort to shower every day... it feels like I havent accomplished anything dispite have a good ammount of success in my 3 or so years in the cisco networking business. It feels like I just cant get out of a rut that has consumed nearly every aspect of my life. I masturbate nearly 3 times a day for some reason. It feels like im addicted to that as well. Not that myself and my gf dont have sex, we have a very fulfilling sex life actually.

So my actual question is how do you motivate yourself? I was diagnosed with manic depression around 4 years ago, and I have realised that the last year have realised that the last year or so it has gotten wayyyy worse. How do I get out of this situation... if you're going to be an asshole about replying to this thread, at least make it constructive in some way
>>
Not /b/
>>
>>17351046
Yeah I asked /b/ but everyone is a jokester and told me to off myself.

Just a copy paste. My mistake
>>
Have you been to a doctor? Are you on medication?
Depression is a mental illness (as I'm sure you're aware), there's no shame in seeking help.
I'm lucky I've never been in your position. My mrs works in mental health and deals with people in relatively similar position as yourself, the best thing they can do (she tells me) is follow their medication routine, and do what makes them happy.
Whatever you do, don't fall into drugs! Weed etc etc will not help and can bring on psychosis and a whole litany of problems.
I'm no professional in this kind of stuff. Funnily enough, my mrs suffers from depression and anxiety problems, so I have to help her sort it out and help her quality of life.
Good luck mate.
>>
>>17351070
OP here

I have spoken to a doctor, that is how I got diagnosed. But I spoke to my dad after this whole story. He told me that taking anti depressants was the biggest mistake he every made, Ofcourse he told me to try it but it is still something that I really don't want to do. I want to keep things natural for as long as possible.

Also: Drugs will never be an option for me. I hate not having control over my choices/reality etc. I never drink more than single shot of whiskey when I'm in the mood, and I wouldn't ever touch any narcotics

Thanks for the advice, Cheers
>>
>>17351104
>He told me that taking anti depressants was the biggest mistake he every made
No offense, but your dad isn't a doctor. And your doctor will probably prescribe you a different drug, especially if you tell him about your dad's history.
I hate to break it to you, but there is no magical fix you can do to cure depression. Getting doctors help is your best bet.
That, or go traveling lol. My mrs is always a lot happier, temporarily at least, when we're travelling.
>>
>>17351043
Man what a tough life you have, dude. A girlfriend and a well paying job. Cry me a fucking river. Fuck off.
>>
>>17351147
Honestly. I'm selling paint for minimum wage and I consider myself lucky.
>>
>>17351147
>>17351252
Do you know how depression works?
>>
The goal to 'get going' for me was to have something of a goal, and to do small baby steps, and support. You say that you are working as a network engineer which has a lot of potential? What kind of potential? Better paying job with more working hours? Examine that possible tradeoff, then. Work towards becoming that better network engineer.

You say you have a great GF, well, lucky you. I think that obviously she would like to support you in order to get out of this situation. Start with her, and how you slowly would like to better yourself.

Start with walking every day for about 10 minutes or so? Exercise is good for one's mood, and makes you feel energized.

What about cleaning your room? Pick a certain date where you would clean up all the shit with your GF, throw stuff away, and keep yourself to it. Don't try to leave plates and cups in your room, but wash them immediately after. It's about creating habits. And small steps.

Limit your fapping to as minimum as possible. Masturbating this much makes you feel like shit, too, because your testosterone levels decrease so much faster.

Also, get a professional. I hope I have been of some sort of help.
>>
>>17352167
OP Here

Thanks for the advice. I suppose I already knew all these things... its just hard getting things going.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.