[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you make yourself smarter? I'm pretty sure I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: 1412790270926.jpg (35 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1412790270926.jpg
35 KB, 400x300
How do you make yourself smarter? I'm pretty sure I'm actually retarded because of how often I fuck up everything. I can't keep track of any assignments for college, I can't make myself have any motivation to actually do them if I don't actually forget about them.

Every single day I go to work I feel like killing myself because I know there's going to be something I missed or something I should have done, and its going to bite me in the ass because it fucks over somebody else. Just today I had the assistant manager tell me everyone thinks I'm terrible and I almost started breaking down in the back room, along with the actual manager saying "as long as you get your way then fuck everyone else?" because I wasn't putting barcodes I scanned in the shipments I send out, just the packing list.

I'm just fucking stupid and I don't know what to do about it, failing is the norm for me.
>>
There's always manual labor. Time to move some fucking bricks, m8
>>
>>17348831
2 Steps

1.Be more confident about your actions. JUST DO IT
2. Play NBACK
>>
What do you mean by smarter? Like book smart? Or "street" smart? People smart?

There a ton of ways people are intelligent and the maybe you're trying to be smarter isn't working because it's not what you're actually smart at.

I'm horrible with numbers, complete dumbass to a billion things, but I'm great at a few specific things and the more I focus on those things (I usually enjoy them already) I realize there are a lot ways that I am smarter at it than anyone else.

Its one of the best ways to find your path in life, to discover what you're good at and keep getting better at it.

As long as its legal. And even in those cases there are some examples which support my thoughts. I mean, look at Pablo Escobar. I'm sure the classmates who called him a dumbass regretted that.
>>
>>17348840
I just want to be not a failure at everything I do.
Videogames are the only thing I can be decent at.
>>
Read Starting Strength and get strong. Learning to control the body in space (which you'll have to do to do the lifts well) is apparently really good at getting the brain to generate new synapses.
>>
>>17348871
Break it down more. What do you like about videogames and which ones are you good at?

Here's an example: Some people play games like WOW because of how social it is. They can create friends in a safe environment and they become really good at it. The learned to manage guilds and build friendships that may have even lasted outside the game. This people are probably pretty smart at dealing with people and good at organizing on some level. The more they hone that skill, the better they get and it becomes something they can translate to other areas.

Some people played WOW because they like getting good gear. The enjoyed the game because of its reward system. They enjoyed the sense of accomplishment and the reward of showing off whatever trophy, gear etc. These people enjoy being rewarded after doing something challenging. If they could transfer that discipline of spending tons of hours into something more practical they'd be able to have the same feeling in the rest of their lives.

This is over simplistic, but the thing you enjoy about videogames is that it rewards you in an easy, safe, controllable way in whatever it is that you find rewarding without anxiety.

Life isn't as safe, easy, and can't be lived sitting on a couch, but when you can learn and discipline yourself into being okay with that you'll find the same feelings you have in game can be had in real life. The obstacles are real this time, the anxiety is real, and the failures are real, but that also means the rewards you earn after that challenge is real too. Not just a virtual sticker on a screen.
>>
>>17348900
I just enjoy dexterous challenges, beating something hard is satisfying because of the skill you've gathered up is really satisfying, I mostly enjoy action genres or arcade games.
>>
>>17348962

Well, this job sounds hardly dexterous or challenging. Maybe you should start looking to finding something that is and see how well you fare in that field. Or, if you need this job badly, start looking at other ways to express your joy at this. It can be as simple as picking up a guitar and learning how to play or taking a class that teaches you how to build something.

Again, its not overnight, games are built to be easy once you put enough time into it, the same rule applies to a lot of skills in life, but videogames do this in a much quicker timespan and situation without the same type of anxiety as real life, so its harder, but again, the because its harder, its more rewarding in the end.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.