[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you get motivated to do shit? Sometimes I feel like I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
File: GabrielleB-1920x1080 (5).png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
GabrielleB-1920x1080 (5).png
2 MB, 1920x1080
How do you get motivated to do shit?
Sometimes I feel like I'm on top of the world, there's not enough time in the day to get shit done.
Other times I feel paralyzed in bed, I can't bring myself to even shower.

I don't know whats wrong with me. I can't just do "life" like most people, I get these massive anxiety attacks, my brain tells me "just sit in bed" instead of doing stuff, anytime I try to do something, I lose mental focus. I can't retain information. I'm terrible at everything.

I don't know what to do with myself.

I can't even make friends, I somehow isolate everyone I talk to. I'm an alien. What's wrong with me?
>>
You don't get motivated, you get disciplined.

Motivation is fickle and fleeting. You will not always be motivated. Even when you are, how long can you maintain that big upswing of motivation?

Disciplining yourself will help much more in the long run. Pick one thing, anything, that you want to work on. Work on that thing for some amount of time/quantitative measurement of work each day.
Getting things done is about being able to push through a lack of motivation and do them anyway even if you don't feel like you can.
>>
Get OCD about organizing your life. GTD is great.
>>
Classic symptoms of depression an anxiety. See your primary care doctor and try out anti depressents and anti anxiety medications until 1 works. See a therapist, talk about this shit.

Literally what I did: gave myself a set schedule. I am in bed by 2 am every night, wake up no later than 930 am. I have to be at work by 1pm, so until then I have free time. The catch with the free time is I must do 1 hr of chores. It can be anything: weeding the garden, folding clothes, putting away dishes, cleaning the bathroom, ect ect. This 1 hr can happen any time before I work. Sometimes as soon as I wake up, sometimes at 11, but that way I accomplish something and start to feel productive. Before bed: I must wash all the dishes I made, and must brush my teeth. I take my zoloft every night between 12 and 2 am.

I stick to this, and it helps me. I have less blah moments because I know I can be doing something, or I can look back and say "I did x this morning, I'm not such a complete waste of space".

There isn't special words or a secret remedy to getting yourself out of your funk. You have to want it, and you have to do it. No short cuts.

I believe in you anon.
>>
>>17348422
I also forgot to add: I have my bad days, and those suck. You have to learn to cope and work thru it. It can feel pretty bad, especially when you're starting to feel productive, but you can't let that stop you.
>>
>>17348328

The swings of mood and energy you describe warrant being mentioned to a doctor.

Everyone feels some waxing and waning enthusiasm for day-to-day activities, but feeling such extremes can be disruptive and unpleasant.

One of the things that surprised me about seeing a doctor for my mood swings was being asking whether I wanted to do anything about it. I had assumed that *of course* I would have to do something about it, I was broken, wasn't I? Doctors fix broken people, don't they?

Instead I was told that people are all different, and that being different doesn't constitute a problem unless I determine for myself that it's disruptive to my life. Some people use medication to even our their mood swings, and others acquire coping skills to manage the swings without modifying them. Neither way is better than the other, and neither wanting nor not wanting medication says anything about a person's character or worth.

Among the few things I can say about you for certain, Anon, are that you are not terrible at everything, and that anything you could want to be better at, you can be, with effort and patience. You are a work in progress.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (147 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
147 KB, 1920x1080
For now, seek strength.
The rest will follow.
>>
>>17348328
You need to see a doctor.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.