[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Career struggle
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
I have 3 career options and can't decide:

Law
Teaching
Military

I'm really stressed about this.

I don't know which to pick.

I'm not wild about law and it's expensive. There is a terrible legal market. I'd have little free time.

Teaching seems OK. I get lots of time off and a pretty chill work environment. I'd have more time to work on my passion (music/writing). Downside is feeling like I settled, but I could offset that by working on my passion in spare time.

Military is intriguing because it would give me life experience (good for my writing), character, skills, benefits, camaraderie, and a clear hierarchy for advancement. It could also improve my hireability in civilian life. Downside is lack of freedom and alone-time.

I'd be interested if you had any advice
>>
>>17347664
Terrible legal market? That's crazy talk.

You can literally go into any industry with a law degree. It's not like other degrees confined to one sector, as there is a need for legal services in all sectors. Law is a very broad field.

With your law degree, you can go on to teach a class here or there as an adjunct (if you make enough money doing something else obviously)

and wouldn't you know, the military needs lawyers too.
>>
>>17347664
>>17347664
>character

Military wont give you character. No career will do that. How old are you? I´m assuming +18... well if you are above 18 and seek the army in order to obtain or build character, I have bad news for you: you are too late. You were suppose to be building character while growing up.

>camaraderie

Please stop watching war movies

>clear hierarchy for advancement
Any job that requires a serious college degree will do that for you.
>>
>>17347679
Thanks for the reply.

>Terrible legal market? That's crazy talk.

I don't mean to be rude but are you familiar with the legal market today? After 07 shit went down the tubes.
There are whole forums dedicated to people who say they can't find jobs. News sites say this too.

I hear that it's basically practice law or you're screwed. And there are few jobs to practice law since there are so damn many graduates.
>>
>>17347664
>Military is intriguing

I read that as ..
>i watched black hawk down 4 times

>>17347694
kek, all this..

>>17347679
Basically this ... you could join the military and get an education with the GI Bill, if you don't get killed, or maimed, or develop some PTSD shit.

Teachers are severely underpaid, not to mention it has turned into a glorified babysitter position over the years.

A law degree can open you up to a lot of options. Some Universities have joint-degree programs for lawyers so you can get a JD and MS for the price of one, concurrently; and outside of a CEO for a fortune 500, it's one of the top paying jobs.
>>
>>17347711
I am very familiar with the legal market, I am currently a Law student. When all that stuff went to shit in 07/08, you know who kept getting paid? Lawyers.

Lawyers got paid from homeowners, banks, the government, and corporations. People who can't find a job as a lawyer didn't do something right, that's just a fact.

Lawyers go on to write laws, work in government, prosecute criminals, defend criminals, work at huge corporations, start firms, teach, and the list goes on and on. As long as there is population growth, there is a need for lawyers.

Check law school graduate employment rates. That's the data you need, not a forum filled with anecdotal garbage.
>>
>>17347716
>I read that as ..
>>i watched black hawk down 4 times

I respect that reaction but I'm not deluded into thimaking I'd be Rambo. I'm not even thinking full infantry, more like Intel, tactics, or administration.
>>
>>17347747
Lol. I was only kidding bro.

If you want to go into those positions in the military, your best bet is to get an education and then go in. Check sites for pay grades, enlisted personnel make a lot less than officers.

The best thing to do for any field is to maximize the amount of money you earn doing something you enjoy.
>>
>>17347740

http://abovethelaw.com/2015/08/quinn-emanuel-partner-warns-dont-go-to-law-school/

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-06-20/the-employment-rate-falls-again-for-recent-law-school-graduates

https://bol.bna.com/law-grads-still-face-a-tough-job-market/

>>17347763
I have a B.A.
>>
>>17347775
>http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-06-20/the-employment-rate-falls-again-for-recent-law-school-graduates

Just read that. 84% are employed and more than half are working in private practice; that basically means you have to be better than 16% of your peers to get a job, and outpace less than half to get a job in a private practice.

All of these numbers can be written in dissuasive manner. If you check the data from schools that interest you, it gives a run-down of what students went on to do. My school has a 96% rate of employment, with 0.8% not employed, and 3.2% pursuing another degree (likely PhD).

If you have a B.A., then yeah, absolutely give military a shot. I don't know your loan status, but you can even negotiate loan repayments, not to mention use them to pay for MS/JD in the future if you decide to leave.
>>
>>17347798
>My school has a 96% rate of employment, with 0.8% not employed, and 3.2% pursuing another degree (likely PhD).

Does that mean employed anywhere or in the legal market?

I have a debt free BA and was thinking about getting a master's in public policy and either working up in mil hierarchy, working in government, or going into law after. Im just struggling with the relaxing life (teaching) vs. Challenging one dilemma.
>>
>>17347810
>getting a master's in public policy

Paid for by govt
>>
>>17347679

I wish I had never gone to Law School. I live in NC and went to a well known local private law school (Campbell Law). I graduated in the top 25% of my class and passed the bar the first time taken.

Years later I cant find a full time job. Document review in my area is drying up. I am now being forced to consider working hours away from home and only seeing my family on weekends.

I can remember vividly being rejected the first time I applied to law school. The second time I was so happy that I was accepted. And since I passed the bar I look back on that day and wish they had just rejected me again. I would have joined the USAF and be well on my way to a fulfilling career. Now I am stuck at home making no money except what I can make on my occasional court appointed day.

The worst part is that no one will have any sympathy for you because the assumption still exists that lawyers can always find work. In other words, if the average person hears that you are an unemployed attorney the assumption will be that it is your own fault and that you are lazy, stupid, socially inept etc...
>>
>>17347694
>in order to obtain or build character, I have bad news for you: you are too late.

Top kek character isn't like puberty where you have only one shot to go through it in adolescence
>>
>>17347971
>The worst part is that no one will have any sympathy for you because the assumption still exists that lawyers can always find work. In other words, if the average person hears that you are an unemployed attorney the assumption will be that it is your own fault and that you are lazy, stupid, socially inept etc...

socially inept etc..."

This is so true.

I hated law school. I pretended to like it. I pretended to be successful afterwards. Law school was hell and there are no jobs and no one will believe you.

I regret my law degree. Thanks to cyberspace, I can never ever erase law school from any Google search or background check. I am in hell and there is no escape.
>>
>>17347664
Ignoring all the other comments, i'll break it down for you into raw benifets.

Being a lawyer in this market is suicide, you'd quite literally be saul goodman without the walter white.

Teaching (assuming you have a degree in the relevant field and ARENT teaching kindergarden-8th grade) is a OK option.

The military is the top option, you recieve combat experience assuming you get a combat MOS, you'll have a military mind set and a military body, meaning you'll be able to handle tasks and events in the real world in a orderly and disiplined manner, which is a invaluable trait in any of the other situations.

Army is a good way to get shot
Marines is volunteering to get shot
Airforce is a good way to get fat (odds are you won't be a fighter pilot)
Coast Guard is literally just a meme.

Join the navy, go look up fourms on reasons to enlist.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.