[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How common is it for people to be depressed? And how common is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1
File: sadface_large.jpg (14 KB, 290x338) Image search: [Google]
sadface_large.jpg
14 KB, 290x338
How common is it for people to be depressed? And how common is it to be thinking about suicide constantly?
Because I googled it and most sources say stuff like "everyone faces depression at least once in their life".

Also, is it considered "good advice" to tell someone that "a lot of people go through the same thing you are going through at least once in their life" ? Because, I don't know if it's special snowflake syndrome I have or what, but when people tell me that "a lot of people go through the same" as me it makes me feel worse because it just seems like other people are dealing with the same problems I have much better than I do and it makes me feel like a bigger loser.
>>
Yeah, I can relate. Do you go ro therapy/are you planing to? And from what I've heard not everyone faces depression sometime in their lifetime, but that everyone can experience feeling down/sad.

And the "everyone goes through it advice" is probably used so that you wont feel alone with your problems, but I agree with you...it just feel then that what's a big deal to you isnt a big deal at all. Which sucks. Oh well, that's how I feel atleast.

I really suggest you to start talking to a professionel or someone that might be able to help you, because If you feel that you cant handle it then you should definetly ask for advice or help
>>
>>17347404
Thanks! Yes I'm planning to see a therapist.
>>
>>17347360
>Major depression affects about 6.7% of the U.S. population over age 18, according to the National Institute of Mental Health. Overall, between 20% and 25% of adults may suffer an episode of major depression at some point during their lifetime.
It looks like 20%-25% of the population has only ONE episode of depression, but 6.7% of the population has major depressive disorder that occurs multiple times.

The bottom line is that, you shoudnt feel like you shouldnt get treatment just because you think it's very common. Treatment can always improve your life and that is what matters the most. You have the right to be happy.

Also, some people will claim that they are depressed while they actually arent. The word "depression" is used unappropriately so often that it makes people believe that it's normal to have it. Well, it's absolutely not normal.

Good luck with your therapist appointment, anon. I hope it goes well.
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.