[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
so I'm a student at university. I study latin and english
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1
File: 391517.jpg (68 KB, 550x543) Image search: [Google]
391517.jpg
68 KB, 550x543
so I'm a student at university. I study latin and english and im gonna be a teacher one day. thats all fine and dandy and i enjoy it, but there is actually something else i like to do and im not sure if thats actually a good idea or if im just delusional.

sumerian is an ancient language. the first one to ever be written down. i really love that language and i spend a lot of time thinking about it.
i really want to write a textbook for people to study it with.
i read up on linguistics to be able to understand the grammar and i read up on didactics to be able to make it as easy as possible, but there really is no infrastructure for people like me, who dabble outside of their discipline. when i talk to people about it, they act mildly interested but nobody really gives a shit. i really want to do it but its also such a colossal amount of work...
should i go for it or should i just keep dreaming?
>>
>>17339407
Do what you like man, in the end its what only matters, being happy doing what you like.

If it fails you will learn a lesson and keep on with your life so you are not really losing anything.
>>
>>17339407
Professor writing here.

You're right in thinking academia is structured so that everyone is pigeonholed and stepping outside your specialty is suspected.

But there are ways around it. Say you become a Latin teacher and continue your person interest in Sumerian. You might be able to convince a university classics department to offer a course in the language, with you as visiting or adjunct professor.

Meanwhile, through your experience as a teacher you can figure out what publishers are most likely to be interested in a Sumerian book, and send them a proposal. If they see a real hole in the market, they won't care what your day job is.
>>
>>17339407
Holy shit do not study dead languages. I'm an English teacher. Don't do it. It's a waste.
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.