[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
> The gym is not a hobby > You shouldn't say/put down
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2
File: 953959.jpg (1 MB, 879x1128) Image search: [Google]
953959.jpg
1 MB, 879x1128
> The gym is not a hobby
> You shouldn't say/put down going to the gym as one of your hobbies.

Why?
>>
File: allPurposeReactionImage.gif (19 KB, 267x200) Image search: [Google]
allPurposeReactionImage.gif
19 KB, 267x200
Thats a bit weird, isnt it?
>>
>>17334468
I think working out in general sounds more normal.

Bitches love it when I say I run charity 5ks around town
>>
>>17334468
the gym is a noun, sometimes a proper noun. hobbies are activities which means generally they are going to fall under the category of verbs. so while "my hobby is the gym" makes you sound ugh ugha caveman, "my hobby is working out" is the correct way of getting across the same message.

then again, everyone leaves out "to be" these days, i.e "needs to be cleaned" turns into "needs cleaned" so things could change and nouns could be hobbies. i.e. "my hobby is your mom's vagina"
>>
>>17334468
i think its a hobby. its just a bit boring if someones only hobby is working out.
>>
>>17334468

because people want you to be ashamed of being fitness oriented. I admit it does seem bad when its the only thing you list, but honest to god people are so fucking judgy.

>>17334549

video games are a noun. TV is a noun. facebook is a noun. were talking about listing hobbies. people say
>tv
>netflix
>facebook
>coffee
>Food

yet GYM is too caveman?

maybe go fuck urself and just admit the real issue is that people dont like being reminded that they arent fitness oriented.
>>
>>17334468
It's a phase, you'll grow out of it eventually.
>>
>>17334575
>watching tv
>watching netflix
>dicking around on facebook
>slurping coffee
>filling your face with food
if you put "my hobby is" in front of any of those they work. just cause you put that list on tinder doesn't make it correct syntax. like I said though, language changes and someday "my hobby is your mom" will probably be considered to be grammatically correct.

also, disclaimer, me am hobby the gym too.
>>
>>17334596

>BUT SYNTAX

OP asked why it is frowned upon to list the gym as a hobby.
you argued it is simply because of syntax.

you are wrong. because tons and tons of ppeople will list their hobies as
>tv
>netflix
>facebook
>Coffee
>food

without proper syntax. they are not frowned upon. but gym is.

ive boiled it down to the most basic information already, but maybe this will help you understand the fucked-titude of your logic.
>>
>>17334468
Is brushing your teeth a hobby? Is doing laundry a hobby? Is cleaning your house a hobby? No, those are just things you do for the sake of being functional
Maybe you are really passionate about oral hygiene or about cleaning products and spend a good bit of time on it, thinking about it, researching it, whatever. So to you it may seem like a hobby but for everyone else it isn't, you weirdo, it's just a thing you do because it needs doing
>>
i think people look down on the gym because its associated with douche bags.
>>
>>17334601
The verb can be hidden and the phrase will work, idiot.
>>
>>17334609
I used to not think that until I actually started going to the gym and researching about fitness on the internet
Now it's kind of a pity that I like it so much because so many people involved with it are so completely narcissistic and obnoxious. But oh well. Won't let these fuckers get in the way of my little joys in life.
>>
>>17334606
>it's just a thing you do because it needs doing
but people dont go the gym because it needs doing. people go to it because they enjoy it for their own reason, maybe they want to become a power lifter, a body builder, or just improve their fitness/strength. cleaning your house or brushing your teeth is completely different.
>>
>>17334619
Everyone claims they go to the gym for "muh health reasons" because admitting they're shallow and just want a juicy body is too much somehow. So the gym is mainly for health. Taking care of your health is one of the things that needs doing.

If you're a niche kind of faggot and are into powerlifting or bodybuilding or some other shit then your hobby is "powerlifting", or "bodybuilding" not "gym" you retard. And if you're just improving your fitness then you're just taking care of your health and like I said, that's just a thing that people do because it needs doing
>>
>>17334601
I'm not wrong, saying "my hobby is the gym" is wrong. OP asked a question, I provided a valid, true, answer. those things in that format are not your hobbies. that is a list of shit you find in a house. this is why conversation is dead. all because of "the gym". everyone knows it, it's why it's frowned upon. you're a terrible person destroying real social interaction anon.

relax, I'm just a smart ass. that answer is still valid though. also, I've never experienced judgement for going to the gym. I've experienced jealousy, or projection of self hate, never judgement.
>>
>>17334617
this is why i prefer martial arts or boxing
>>
>>17334613
are... are you talking to me or to him? have you checked your syntax? the phrase certainly doesn't work well without the subject does it?

XD i love this thread right now.
>>
>>17334627
>Taking care of your health is one of the things that needs doing.
Syntax is so important that I can tell you're not from america from the way you put words together. really explains the POV that going to the gym is just something that needs doing because you're supposed to take care of your health.

sadly it just isn't that way here.
>>
>>17334639
>I can tell you're not from america from the way you put words together

True, I'm not even from an english speaking country
>>
>>17334627
stop talking shit. some people enjoy progressing with weight training, what makes it any less of a hobby than anything else?
>>
>>17334656
Then say your hobby is "weight training" you stupid fucker, not "gym". Saying "gym" doesn't actually tell anything, you could be doing god knows what for good knows what reason in there
>>
>>17334662
>you could be doing god knows what for good knows what reason in there
I have been tempted to do god knows what for good reasons in a gym before

XD alright, I gotta go.
>>
>>17334662
weight training is obviously a part of going the gym. and if it not weight training, then they are obviously progressing with their cardio. maybe someone likes to do everything at the gym.
>>
>>17334676
>weight training is obviously a part of going the gym

Nope
You can do cardio, go swimming, take dance classes, take yoga classes, take stretching classes, etc. It really depends on your goals.
>>
>>17334676
>maybe someone likes to do everything at the gym.

Then why not say "fitness" instead of "gym"
Why are you so fixated on that word
>>
>>17334690
im not. i dont even go the gym. im just saying, if someone states "i like going the gym". im not going to see it as not a hobby.
>>
>>17334690
G Y M
Y G Y
M Y G
>>
>>17334694
I think the problem here "the gym" as an answer.
>do you have any hobbies?
>the gym
>>
>>17334694
Fine then, it's a hobby but it'll make you sound like an autist if you say it like that, which is why (I'm guessing) people say not to say it.
>>
>>17334700
yeah i agree that is a problem. its boring if someone replies with that.
>>
>>17334468
Just be more specific. Weightlifting? Biking? Running? Fitness?
>>
>>17334715
yeah just say sports it's better
>>
>>17334468
It's not a hobby. It's life bro.

But if you're gonna say it's a hobby it's better to say you enjoy working out, or you're into fitness, ie. running, lifting, crossfit, whatever.
>>
put "strength training" instead
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.