[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
compton
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: compton.jpg (154 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
compton.jpg
154 KB, 1280x720
I am planning to be a professional jazz musician after I graduate from high school. Because I live in CA, I would pretty much have to live in LA to make this happen.

I have a friend who's family owns a house in Compton, and I have the opporitunity to live with two of my friends (also both dedicated artists)

I have 2 questions:

Is LA really a good place to pursue an art career?

and

Is Compton really as dangerous as people make it sound?
>>
I live in LA and I'm also a musician.

1. Yes. LA is one of the best places in the country to pursue an arts career. There's a huge amount of musicians, venues, and there's a few music institutions here like the prestigious Colburn School of Music.

2. Compton is still dangerous, but not as bad as it used to be in the 90s. Popular culture has made it seem like a fucking warzone 24/7, but the area is actually not that bad. It depends where in Compton your friend lives. There's still gang violence, but it's all about being cautious, aware, and not being naive.
>>
>>17332996
Ok, thank you.

As a jazz bassist (attending either USC or Cal State Northridge) is it possible to make a legitimate living from it?
>>
Everybody uses the LA Times crime map:

http://maps.latimes.com/crime
>>
>>17333005
I wish I could tell you, but I have very minimal experience in the jazz world, and no experience at university. The advice I can give is work as hard you fucking can, and network as much as you can. Don't take the film "Whiplash" as an example and just lock yourself away and practice for 12 hours a day. Of course you're going to want to perfect your technique and whatnot, but playing, listening, jamming, and exploring theory with other musicians and friends is an essential part of the experience. That's as much advice as I can give from my experience, since we're the same age.
>>
>>17333034
Thank you for the advice. I currently practice about 3-4 hours per day, but I do realize that actually playing with a group is the best way to improve.

What genre of music do you specialize in, and what instrument do you play?
>>
>>17332977
we gon light you up cracka
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.