[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I got an email saying that my college has refund money for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 1364056913999.png (139 KB, 424x470) Image search: [Google]
1364056913999.png
139 KB, 424x470
So I got an email saying that my college has refund money for me in the amount of $100.00 and my tight-fisted jew mother says the money belongs to her, I'm currently unemployed and she knows I'm looking for work but she can't even let me have $100? Jesus Christ...

And then she throws me this pitch how "Oh well you're living in my house for free, you have no bills to pay and I provide everything for you. Including food, bedding, toiletries, insurance, etc." And she's right, I can't really argue with her on that. I just think that's a low blow to bring that up, she's trying to make me feel guilty and she knows that I have very little money in my bank account right now so god forbid if she let's me have $100.00. Of course my parents shilled out $40,000 for me to attend college so I guess I'm being really selfish and stingy. My mother is a really jew, she will fight fucking tooth and nail for that $100, by god she will take you to court for $100.

Anyway I decided she can have it, fuck it. I'm not happy about it but It's not worth the argument and headache, I'll be the bigger man and let her have the money. I guess deep down it's the fair and right thing to do, I'm just not happy about it. Obviously I'm just as tight-fisted and greedy as she is, I fucking would love $100 for free and so would she. But she has to play the whole guilt card and I have nothing to counter that, so fuck it. I mean in a way she does buy me everything, whether it's food or new clothes so I guess I really am the one being selfish but obviously most people I feel would want the $100 for themselves. I tell myself I'm being the bigger man, but at the end of the day I suppose there was never any doubt that the money should go to her, it's not like I have bills or anything I have to pay.

Sorry for the blog post, I just had to rant and get my frustration off my chest. My mother always got on my nerves with how much of a tight-fisted jew she is when it comes to money, it's annoying.
>>
>>17332165
>Of course my parents shilled out $40,000 for me to attend college so I guess I'm being really selfish and stingy
If your parents paid for college, then it's their money. They're the ones getting the refund, not you. That's all there is to it.
>>
Get a job.
>>
>>17332173
Did you even read my post, I'm currently LOOKING for a job. I can't just snap my fingers and "get a job" it doesn't work that way, some people have great luck with finding works and others don't.

I've known some people where it took them months to find work.

>>17332169
I already realized that, I'm just not happy about it. $100 is very small compared to $40,000. I figured it wouldn't be a big deal just to let me keep it, but I guess every dollar helps and as I already said I'm living a pretty care-free life so I shouldn't really complain. A lot of people at my age are having to support themselves, pay rent, bills, buy their own food and what not. Having everything provided and paid for is pretty high end, so yeah, I know it's the right thing to do in deciding to give her the money.

But as I said, I still would have just liked to have it. But it really doesn't matter what I wanted/thought.
>>
>>17332186
>But as I said, I still would have just liked to have it. But it really doesn't matter what I wanted/thought.
The money isn't yours. It's up to them what they do with it, including the decision about whether or not to let you have it. They just gave you $40k and supported you throughout your education, I don't know on what grounds you think you deserve this $100.

If you want money, get a job (inb4 I'm looking for a job - I can read). Though given your sense of entitlement, I bet you think you're above the sort of job you can actually get.
>>
>>17332200
Well I do believe I'm above SOME jobs, I know the whole saying "beggars can't be choosers" so if I really want the $100 that badly then obviously I should accept ANY job regardless of how shitty it is, but in reality that isn't the case. Also I have nothing that shows I'm entitled to that money, I just simply thought that THEY meaning my parents would DECIDE to let me have the $100 because it's only $100 and they know that I don't have a lot of money. I'm not really saying I deserve, I just feel that it would be nice of them to let me have it but it's already been decided that they won't and that's what's frustrating.

I have a college degree as well and do believe I'm above certain minimum wage retail jobs, I believe I should be somewhat entitled to at least a low-tier management level job or some white-collar job, but now a days you need an M.A to get high level jobs and a bachelor degree won't carry you much further than a high school degree. I just think I'm above high school graduate jobs, and I think I somewhat deserve a better paying job then some low level grunt job working as a cashier or being a sales associate, I should get at least a low to mid level management level job making more money than the high school graduates.

If that makes me arrogant or coincided than so be it, I didn't go to college for five years to work on the same playing field as a high school graduate who did not go to college and does not have a college degree. I know that makes me sound like a major narcissistic prick, but that's just what I believe. I don't believe I should do the same work and receive the same pay that a high school graduate with no college degree does. In a way I'm somewhat insulted if anyone actually SUGGESTS or AGREES that I SHOULD do the same work and receive the same pay as a high school graduate, that's honestly somewhat insulting and a slap in the face to college graduates who spent the extra time and money to advance their education.
>>
>>17332220
Do you have any work experience? Even shitty wageslave jobs? Because if not, you basically just wasted five years.

>In a way I'm somewhat insulted if anyone actually SUGGESTS or AGREES that I SHOULD do the same work and receive the same pay as a high school graduate, that's honestly somewhat insulting and a slap in the face to college graduates who spent the extra time and money to advance their education.
Education alone doesn't land you a good job. The fact that you didn't work throughout your education is going to be looked down upon by employers. I mean, why shouldn't they hire someone who worked throughout college and thus can prove things like that they can manage stress and multi-task, over someone like you who has never had a job?
>>
>>17332220
Why the fuck did a degree take you five years anyway?
>>
>>17332237
First off I never gave you my job history, secondly don't assume anything without first getting the information, but to answer your question I've worked 10 jobs in my life, most were summer jobs and most were shitty retail jobs. So yes, I do have experience working in costumer service, running register, and all the things that are required in the retail industry. What I do not have is experience in is white-collared jobs, that's why I'm looking for mostly entry level positions that don't require any real experience since they'll most likely train me and I can get some experience under my belt.

My overall point is that most white collar jobs are not going to hire a high school graduate over a college graduate, that's just how those jobs and our society work. If I apply for a white collar job they're not going to hire the guy who didn't go to college over me, the guy who has a B.A and spent five years in college. I do think you have some fair points but at the end of the day education trumps work experience, at least when it comes to certain jobs, like white-collar jobs. If it's a blue-collar job or some technical welding job then obviously they'll hire the guy who has a trade skill. But I'm not talking about trade jobs or blue-collar jobs, I'm talking about corporate level/management level white-collar tier jobs, the only companies I know of that higher non college graduates for those positions are places like Wal-Mart and what not. I worked for Wal-Mart twice and some of the managers didn't even have an Associate's Degree, some of them had college degrees but a large majority of them didn't. I feel that with my degree, education and experience I could easily be a manager at Wal-Mart, but even I consider myself above working at a shoddy company like Wal-Mart. I'm just using Wal-Mart as an example.
>>
>>17332266
If you've had 'over 10 jobs' then why don't you have money? Why don't you have a job to tide you over until you find one that you think is worth your time? And if you're that great of an employee, why don't you have a grad job lined up in the first place?
>>
>>17332263
It's actually quite common to get a B.A in four or five years, the standard use to be four years to obtain a B.A but some people are getting them as early as three years if you enter college with college credit already under your belt from high school AP programs, I sadly did not take those advanced classes in high school so I entered college with ZERO college hours. So I started at the bottom and climbed up, secondly I started off taking 12 hours which is the minimum amount to be considered a full time student, over the years I went from 12 to 15 and eventually I was taking 18 hours a semester but I started off slow instead of taking 18 hours every semester. I wasn't in a rush to graduate like some people, I didn't mind if it took me four or five years. I've also met lots of people who said it took them four or five years to graduate, it's not considered strange nowadays. I guess for some people five years is a long time, but the average is usually four years so going one extra year isn't that big of a deal in the long run.

>>17332277
Those jobs were all summer jobs, I attended school mostly year round except for the summer. I didn't work while attending school, I was a full time student. Secondly I do think I'm a great employee but so does everyone else, the job market is a competitive market and there's always someone better than you. I can make employers like me, but they'll always pick whoever they think leaves the best impression. Thirdly I'm currently looking for a job to "tide me over" until I find a better one, but as I stated already I'm being somewhat picky and I haven't been having much look finding jobs in my city.

Anything else you'd like to know? My blood type? Maybe my shoe size? Or perhaps you'd like to know my star-sign.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.