[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My parents think that I will graduate next year, but the last
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: 1467530996885.jpg (72 KB, 500x650) Image search: [Google]
1467530996885.jpg
72 KB, 500x650
My parents think that I will graduate next year, but the last time I went to university was 12 months ago. What is the best way to tell them that I actually fucked up? Or should I maybe do something else. I live with them.
>>
>>17325765
>What is the best way to tell them that I actually fucked up?
Pretty much this. There is no good way to tell parents these things, but they WILL find out sooner or later, so you may as well give it to them straight-up.

The best thing I can think of to open the conversation is "I've done something bad, and I think I need some help". Aside from being perfectly true -you have done something bad, and you clearly do need some help- it will at least put them into a sympathetic frame of mind.

It also manages expectations. This is somewhat manipulative, but when someone tells you "I've done something bad and I think I need help", you expect to hear that they killed someone or robbed a bank or some other serious crime, and you brace for that kind of impact. When the truth comes out that you've "only" been lying to them about your college studies for a year, that's still painful, but such a softer blow than expected that it softens the blow a bit more.

That's the best shot you're going to get, I'm afraid. I'm not going to lie to you: things are going to be Not OK in the short term, once you tell them the truth. But the world will not end.
>>
>>17325765
Make up a story how you're depressed and shit. Play the victim card. Also, how the fuck they didn't notice you haven't been going to univesity for 12 months?
>>
>>17325805
>>17325803
That seems like a really good idea, I had something in my mind already, but I'm not sure if it is a good idea. I wanted to say stuff like I have to do a project and fake doing it, then afterwards say that I failed and have to repeat year, start faking a mental breakdown because of it and saying that I have to move to another city and start a different major which I actually want this time. My parents seem to know that something is wrong with me and my dad asked me while being drunk when I will commit suicide, but I'm not sure if this plan would be successful and it could totally backfire and fuck my whole life over, so maybe I should go the truthful road.

>>17325805
One of the major problems is that my father considers even stuff like depression as crazy, even if he is a mess mentally besides his work. And I usually just went outside riding the train from station to station or something else.
>>
>>17325841
>went outside riding the train from station to station or something else.
Just riding for hours on a train for 12 months? Man, what the fuck lmao. Anything else specific that you did?
>>
File: 1467530998466.jpg (50 KB, 500x675) Image search: [Google]
1467530998466.jpg
50 KB, 500x675
>>17325864
I visited some major cities in my area and ate pretty good food, I don't have any irl friends, only 2 acquaintances, so I had to do these things alone. I also spen't much time in big libraries here, just reading stuff. But I have trouble remembering what really happened in the last 3 years, so I can't give tons of details. Sorry for being so autistic.
>>
>>17325883
>Sorry for being so autistic.
I totally get it fampai. I do something similar occasionally like going for walks late at night so my parents think that I'm out having fun with friends, when in reality, I don't have any. If I had money I'd buy a car and drive around somewhere for hours probably.
>>
>>17325895
Yeah, I do the same, often riding the trains at weekends and pretending to hang out with friends. I'm also doing that during "major" events like new years or my birthday. I will probably have my drivers license next month and already bought a really cheap car, so atleast I don't have to take the train anymore.
>>
>>17325765
They're giving you shitty advice, the best solution is to live your way out the other end.
> Buy nice appropriately sized paper from Walmart
> Google degree templates
> Put it on a flash drive
> Go to Kinko's and get it made
Only rarely do companies check, and those are fortune 500 companies.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.