[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to sleep?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: latest.jpg (149 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
149 KB, 500x375
Any idea on how to fall asleep at a reasonable time? Closing my eyes isnt working.
>>
>>17325335
Drink something warm, do some deep stretching, then lay down again. White noise helps drown out thought.
>>
it's more important to have a good daily schedule leading up to sleeping. last minute fixes won't be very effective. having a busy but not overly stressfull day with fulfilling social interactions, some moderate exercise, healthy eating and enough sunlight exposure will help tremendously. before bed, eat only light meals. possibly cut out carbs before sleeping. also ditch screentime at all for about 2h priorto sleeping. yes, that means no tv, pc or phone. do something soothing and calming like taking a shower, wearing comfy stuff, drink a cup of tea (there are teas that help you sleep, get some of that), read some, draw some, listen to soothing music, try to keep the lights down low to signal your body that it's time to go to sleep mode now. make sure your room is tidy and clean. it has to be dark (no electronics helps a lot) and not too warm. fresh air is important too. and ofc a cozy bed. then lay down, close your eyes, find a comfortable position and if you find your thoughts rushing and not coming to a rest, try progressive muscle relaxing. basically you go trough your whole body, starting with your head, tensing one part after another then relaxing it again. by the point you reach your toes, you mostl ilkely are already asleep or very relaxed and ready to drift off. good luck.
t. horrible insomnia for years
>>
>>17325369
forgot to add that it's also important to stick to a sleeping schedule. meaning you should go to bed and get up roughly at the same time every day. yes, als on weekends...

make sure to use the toilett before bed so you don't have to get up at 3am to go pee. have a bottle of water next to your bed if you wake up thirsty. cutting down on "waking up and having to do something" time is is very important to etablish a long and deep block of sleepig over time.
if you still struggle with spinning thoughts, have a notebook and a pen next to your bed and note down the thoughts rushing around. especially if it's stuff you think you might forget to do the next day and you just "thought of it". get it out of your system. if the thought are more existential, like going over "mistakes" you did that day over and over again, try to note down one thing that made you happy that day and one thing you can safely delete from your memory. has helped me a lot with being anxious.
>>
>>17325347
>>17325369
>>17325380

Thanks Anons. Would give you Trump Coins if I had any.
>>
>>17325382
>fantasize about something as if you were dreaming
i do that a lot. it might be silly, but i like to make up fantastic scenarios and then think about all the details. like i ask myself what superpower i would like to wake up with the next morning. then i imagine the things i would do and how i would even find out in great detail. it's really awesome. give it a try. it just helps distract your mind with something positive.
>>
>>17325382
I see one more of those pictures and I'm reporting every instance of you.
>>
>>17325396

Thats exactly whats keeping me awake though. Before going to sleep I always end up planning with an insane amount of detail about anything and everything. Just last night I was planning on creating a glass duck. Not just any glass duck, a duck with carved tattoos, which would also double as a piggy bank. I then went on thinking of what kind of tattoos it would have. My mind just drifts off thinking about the stupidest shit before I sleep, and then I always end up on /out/ looking at what people are doing with their lives.
>>
>>17325397
I don't care if you know me or not, people skip over post without images and I'm not saving dozens of images on my phone to avoid "avatar fagging".

Once I'm back on a computer I'll paint you a picture for every post.
>>
>>17325422
Are you fucking serious? People read every post in their thread. They just usually don't reply unless they have a specific question. Jesus fucking christ how narcissistic are you?
>>
>>17325415
you should not create realistic scenarios. the thought process then goes something like that"yea, a glass duck, that would be a funny idea. but how can i make it more badass? oh, carved tattos! Yes! What kind of tattos... hmmm, i always wanted xyz on my back. that would look neat. but allas, it would only look really good if i fainally got a gym membership and worked out. oh well, i don't need to go to the gym. i'm just going to get ripped cave-man style, being outdoors, climbing, hunting and building shelters. let's check /out/ to put together a survival backpack.
that's not good. it'd not relaxing.
you need to go to purely fantastic scenarios. i, for example, like to fantasize about finding an entrance to a hidden parallel world. or a long forgotten cave like world. or i think about stuff like "would i rather wake up being able to speak every language or play any instrument". i also like to make up everything i would do when i wake up with a never ending supply of money. those scenarios are just pure "luck", becuase it happened over night. so i can't stress myself with "i should sign up for french" or " i should practice the piano more" or "i need to get a better paying job". there's the difference
>>
>>17325449
>realistic scenarios
In HS I'd think about what it would be like if I asked this girl out and she was my gf, I'd do that about every night and fall asleep with hope. Fucking kill me
>>
>>17325335
Xanax, Propranolol, Theralen or Zopiclone.
Ask your doctor.
>>
>>17325347
Pretty much this. When I'm restless, I do a lot of stretching. It helps your body relax.

If I'm still having problems, I have some stuff called emergenzzz. It's like vitamin C mix and a little bit of serotonin. So it makes me sleepy.
>>
>>17325335

some people respond poorly to electronics / lights. even little blue lights on computer or even clocks can cause a problem. sometimes just electric signals can cause the problem (or so people claim) and the only solution is turning off the power in your room from the fuse box. put oyur alarm clock in the hallway if you must. i dont think its a coincidence that most people sleep wtih their cell phones on their bed side table yet have trouble sleeping. that things constantly monitoring everything. ine recently started telling me when i was running late for wokr cuz it literally keeps track of where i go and when.

you could also consider
>poor diet choices

tihs doesnt mean eating bad food, but rather the wrong food at the wrong time. from a scientific standpoint it makes more sense to eat a large meaty type meal for breakfast (the kind we have for dinner) and later in the night ew should be eating things we'd normally have for breakfast, some cereal, oatmeal, things with milk, etc. Your digestive system can keep you awake if its owkring too hard, and meats are the hardest thing to digest.

also, caffiene. even coffee in the morning can affect you at night. you still feel sleepy but that doesn't mean you can fall asleep if some stimulant keeps you up. consider cutting out coffee.

you might just be uncomfortable. the electronics and lights factor in as i mentioned. but you could also have a bad bed. this can become harder to bare as time goes on, not easier. you could also not be at the right temperature. science says its easiest to fall asleep if its really fucking cold, but you're slightly warmed by the blanket.
>>
>>17326296
noise may also be an issue. some people think that some sort of stimulation helps them fall asleep simply becuase tossing and turning for 20 minutes (the max 'healthy' time it takes to fall asleep) is too boring. so tehy insist on music, tv, etc. consider turning off all those distractions for a whole week to test yourself. one night isnt enough.

yet another thing to consider is your brain itself. its hard to fall asleep when you are worried. to help me sleep i tend to lay out all the clothes i know i will be wearing the next day, as well as line up literally everything i will need before owkr. this makes my morning really easy. dont have to remember where anything is, or pack a bag worrying about time. when your brain knows everything is in a row, it relaxes. my mornings are easy. wake up, drop a deuce, brush my teeth, do my hair, put on an outfit i dont have to pick out, grab a bag, out the door. that easy.

an extension of that is sometimes your brain keeps you up thinking about hwat you need to do tomorrow. its suggested that you do something like make a 'to do' list of everything that needs done the next day. even if its stuff you do daily. organizing a list convinces your brain not to worry, cuz everything you need is on that piece of paper. it doesnt have to memorize or figure out a timeline. cuz thats already done!

if you do homework/are in school, NEVER put off homework to be done in the morning before class. your brain swill stress over this. anything similar as well. if its due tomorrow, you finish it today.
>>
>>17326299
getting a full 9 hours of sleep EVERY NIGHT. set your alarm clock for no more than 1 hour later on the weekends. go to bed at the same time as you do on weekdays. after two weeks your body will have adjusted to this sleep cycle and you will fall asleep easy.

your body doesn't just react to how much sleep you get or when you wake up, but also when you fall asleep. mkae it a habit to fall asleep at the same time each night and your body will keep up with that. even if you took a nap in the day, it will try to fall asleep at 10pm if thats the time you always fall asleep every other day.

Despite what I said earlier about how things can distract you at night, some people legitimately do sleep better with a little stimulation, or background noise of some kind. I personally fall asleep wihtint 30 minutes if I have some sort of story on. generally its narrations of creepy pastas. sometimes an episode of a very chill show (actions and loud shows should be avoided). genearlly i dont even actually listen. sometimes i do, but a lot of the time i cant focus and just wander into sleep. white noise (literally just a fan) is supposed to be the best. i prefer stories. if ur falling asleep within half an hour, you're not doing too bad. 20 minutes is the recommended time though. if you are awake for an entire 45 minute episode of television, its not helping.

________
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.