[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dad is using me
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1
File: Carpentry1.jpg (70 KB, 626x437) Image search: [Google]
Carpentry1.jpg
70 KB, 626x437
>Probably have un-diagnosed Aspergers
>Can't swing a hammer
>Take forever to do anything in construction
>Dad is using me as his helper
>We're making close to 100k a year
>He wants me to stay
>He doesn't want me to go to college
>Most days we aren't home until 7 PM, so night college isn't a viable option
>It'd be crazy to even try since I would probably fail due to the stress
>He says he only needs me for 2 years, but I know he's lying, and he wants to use me for 4 or 5
>Know I'll never be fast at carpentry
>He keeps telling me someday I'll be good
>Know it might be a lie to keep me by his side
>He doesn't bother to teach me anything because it'd take too much time
>Horrible with my hands, but he keeps telling me he's teaching me how to use them
>It has been 1 year since I've started working with him
>My skills haven't changed, and I know they probably never will
>Being slow is a sentence to poverty in a business like carpentry
>What's more, I'm working for customers that will call my boss if I'm slow so losing my job is a guarantee
>He'll make me poor for the rest of my life in order to benefit himself for now
>I'll need a helper just to get by, and they'll want $20 an hour.
>Feel that my life will be down the toilet as I work long hours just to get by
>Don't know if he's doing it on purpose, or if he's looking ahead with blind optimism
>Know I should go to college, or that will be my future
>Learning how to drive
>19 right now

Should I just learn how to drive and give my father an ultimatum? I don't see carpentry working out for me, but people tell me I'm very pessimistic.

I think what's best for me is a job with paper work. I feel I simply don't have the natural talent to be good at what I'm being trained for. I'm scared my dad is only living in the present, and ignoring my future. I only took up the job to get him out of debt, but now he's talking about building another house in the backyard.

It feels like he's stopping my life for himself.
>>
>he thinks college is the way to get a life

you may as well go take out a 100k loan in cash, pile it all into a big barrel, squirt in some lighter fluid and burn them motherfuckin franklins

just saying
>>
>>17324808
I'm scared I'm a person that actually needs to go to college. I don't know if I can make a decent living being anywhere else besides a desk. My father is a very arrogant man. It almost feels like he believes his son will be a good carpenter simply because I come from him.

I believe it's a huge mistake for me to pursue a career in carpentry. I'm 19, but I'm so slow at everything little thing I attempt to do. Hourly workers have sarcastically told me I'm quick.

I've met great men that have worked their entire lives in carpentry, but I've also met horrible people that take advantage of workers they see themselves as superior to.

I don't know what to do with my life. I can't just float down stream anymore. I'm too old now.
>>
>>17324824
When I say college, I don't only mean college.
There has to be some sort of trade school I can go to to learn something valuable that isn't blue collar work. I've seen how slow I am in comparison to the people I grew up around.

I know I'm bad with my hands.
Does anybody know of any other option?
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.