[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am approaching you, /adv/, with the following issue - do I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: nanny.jpg (17 KB, 250x274) Image search: [Google]
nanny.jpg
17 KB, 250x274
I am approaching you, /adv/, with the following issue - do I need to make an appointment with a psychiatrist?

For the last year and a half I have been cancelling and re-scheduling exams for a later date (it's possible to do at my university as long as you pass the exam in the next 12 months, otherwise you're forced to take a gap year). It's been going okay-ish, apart from the fact that I've one exam that was scheduled for July 15, but due to external stress (parents are ill and I need to look after them, combined with a breakup with my bf of 2 years) I can't focus and study to a level of preparation that would secure me a pass, so I've reached the conclusion that I'll leave it for September. I've 2 more exams I need to pass in Sept, but they're not so important as they won't force me to take a gap year from uni. I believe I've cancelled something close to 7-8 exams in total for all the 4 years that I've been studying at this university.

My problem is that the idea that the university may force me to take a gap year is seriously affecting my life and everyday performance: I can't sleep normally, I'm getting something very akin to panic attacks lasting for hours when exams are coming close.

Is it just stress that's going to pass after a couple of weeks of rest, or is it another issue that needs medical attention?

Feel free to ask anything else that you believe is of importance.

PS. I am a straight-A student if that has any relevance.
>>
>>17322522
Hey OP. An appointment with a counselor, although not needed, would definitely not hurt - but I would not go so far as to say it's something you need a psychiatrist for.

Before I give you my own shitty opinion on this issue - I'd just like to know how important being a straight A student is for you?

Also, do you have any coping mechanisms in place at all when it comes to dealing with the stress you've mentioned?
>>
>>17322574
Being a straight A student is a side effect from the fact that I don't have any idea how to study and process information. I just read everything on the topic at hand I can, and I try to remember as much as I can. I believe I've tried to get marks lower than A, but examiners just see all my previous grades and either give me an A in exchange for easier questions, or decide that I'm sure to have read the whole textbook, so they give me easy A's and put more fuel in the fire. At least how I see it.

I don't think I've managed to develop any coping mechanisms at all, addressing your second question. I just went through a month of finals - 8 different exams - where I cancelled 1 of them. My boyfriend broke up with me before the very last exam, and this sent me into a fit of depression where I can't focus on reading at all - I just spend 15-20 minutes reading a sentence trying to understand it, which I believe is the opposite of progress.

Other than that, my regime for the last month of exams comprised of 12-15 hours of studying per day with 6-7 hours of sleep, whereas I normally sleep 9 hrs/day. I had 4chan blocked, I limited my access to social media, and dropped any shows I may've followed just so I could get though all the exams, but with not attending the one on July 15 I believe I failed that miserably.
>>
>>17322619
Okay - my time is running out here so I'm going to be a bit brief (I'm on a terminal at work right now and am unsure if this thread will still be up when I get home).

The long and short of it seems to be that you are not managing your stress properly, be it academic or otherwise. It may be worth your while to read up on the concept of self-care, and to apply what you find there especially when crunch time rolls around.

I empathize with your situation, because I have found myself there - but it's important to know that you do have some degree over the anxiety you get when exams approach - even if that may seem like a foreign concept now.
>>
>>17322681
Thank you for your input. I do went to a counselor in Feb, but it seemed more like she was trying to impose her views and perspectives of life on me, rather than help me with anything. She also left me convinced it would be a good idea to change my sleeping patterns which - I realise now - has affected my studying in a negative way moreso than otherwise.

Thank you for your input! I would definitely look into coping techniques, but am still intrigued whether prescription drugs could make the ride a little less painful as well.
>>
>>17322770
Well - I'm sure there are a few anxiolytics (anti-anxiety medication) that you would be able to take that would help to lessen the physical impact of the anxiety, but any medication you take will have side effects as they are normally used to treat pathological or chronic cases in the long term.

Here's a question for you: If, whilst you were sleeping, some miracle occurred and things become exactly the way you want when you wake up - what would things be like? That is, what would be different?
>>
>>17322795

I'm convinced that the first thing I would do is get in touch with some old friends I've been ignoring in favour of studies. Other than that - I'd just resume passing my free time the way I did back in '14 when I didn't have so many worries to juggle.

It will definitely be a lot different than it is now, so yes, you are right - it does seem more of a matter of stress than an actual pathological state of mind.
>>
>>17322914
Well - the fact that you have an answer for that is a good thing, as the point of that kind of question is to get you to inadvertently think about how to begin tackling the issue you've been having.

Is there anything stopping you from getting in touch with your friends now? How did you pass your time in '14 - and is there any way you could possibly reconcile that with your situation now? These are questions you need to ask yourself, instead of abandoning one pole for the other.

I'm going to be honest anon - aside from what you've shared with me here, I don't know you or your history - and I don't want to shove meaningless advice down your throat. But it may very well be worth your while to look more at the present than worry about the future so much.

Even if you completely wipe on an exam and fail, even if you have to take a gap year, even if life completely fucks you - you need to be sure that you are taking care of yourself, because from that base you will be able to get back up and do what you need to do. If you get yourself into a situation where something 'absolutely cannot happen', you are setting yourself up for much more anxiety than is needed because you do not acknowledge that one way or the other things will keep going.

I may very well be wrong, and I'm sorry if I'm coming across as a holier than thou asshole - believe me it's no the intention, but I really believe you possess the strength to move past this.
>>
>>17322997

Thank you very much for your posts - they've all been amazing through and through! It's what a counselor, both parents and a bunch of friends have failed to convey my way. On no occasion do I strive to blame anyone, because everyone copes their own way, but a genuine thank you for taking the time to explain concepts to an anxious anon that direly needed it at the time!
>>
>>17323038
That's what /adv/ exists for.

Godspeed, anon. I seriously wish you all the best.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.