[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I choose a birth control method? I'm a female and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (37 KB, 405x275) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37 KB, 405x275
How do I choose a birth control method?

I'm a female and I'm going to start having sex within the next few years, but I have no idea what birth control method to use.

>spermicide
>calendar method
>sponge
>withdrawal
>condoms
>diaphragm
Too much of a risk of failure and user error.

>ring
>patch
>pills
Still not as effective as I'd like, there's still great chance for user error, and now you have to deal with the risk of hormones affecting you negatively.

>Depo shot
Hormone concern x100. I've read this method is the absolute worst when it comes to hormonal side-effects.

>Copper IUD
I already have very heavy, long, and painful periods, and this will most likely make them worse. There's also the risk of dislodgment and perforation, which is greater in women who haven't had children yet.

>hormonal IUD
The same as above, except trade the worse periods for hormonal side-effects.

>sterilization
Not meant to be reversible, and I'd like the choice to have children later.

>arm implant
This is what I'm leaning most towards, but I'm still very scared of the hormonal side-effects. I don't want to lose my sex-drive or have worse depression.
>>
Just use pills and use your alarm to take it at the same time each day.
>>
I have the same problem

I can't take estrogen because of genetic blood clot risks, and progesterone makes me suicidal

I also have very heavy periods and my mom had a very bad experience with the copper IUD, so I'm not exactly thrilled about that one either

for now I'm using condoms but yeah female birth control is shit if you can't tolerate hormones
>>
>>17320003
Under 25 year old woman, never been pregnant, on the copper IUD here.

I would recommend that you try some hormonal birth control methods before getting an arm implant or anything of that nature. I was on the pill and the NuvaRing for years before I went down the copper IUD route. I took the pill/ring exactly according to the directions and never had any pregnancy scares. However, hormonal side effects were very bad for me, I became very depressed.

I know a lot of women who have tried a lot of different pills until they found one that suited them and now they are very happy. If I was in your shoes, I would do this as it would help me to understand what dosages suit/how certain hormones effect me.

I have been on the copper IUD for a year now and have no complaints, but I would not recommend it if you have not tried the pill, patch or ring first.
>>
these anons are giving good advice but I will also say: you should have a good long talk about this with your doctor.
>>
>>17320007
I do like how you can immediately stop taking pills and can switch to different brands, but I don't like how there is any risk for error and hormonal side-effects.

I'd ideally like something with less than 1 out of 100 pregnancies with typical use. The pill has 9 out of 100.

I know there's no magical, super-effective, no risk for error, non-hormonal, non-invasive, immediately reversible, let's-you-cum-inside contraception. I know I'll need to sacrifice some of those things. I just want to make the right choice.

>17320008
Hopefully we find something that works well for us.

>>17320017
Thank you, I was also considering trying out pills before I commit to something more like an IUD or implant.

>>17320021
Oh absolutely. I am going to talk with a doctor(s) before I do anything, but I'd like to learn as I can by myself before that.
>>
>>17320030
yeah man, it's not the end of the world either

if a guy gets salty because he can't raw you and tries to pressure you into fucking with your body he isn't worth your time anyway
>>
>>17320030
I would definitely recommend trying pill, ring or patch before anything else. While side-effects are common for some women, each type of birth control works differently for every woman.

The good thing about the pill, ring or patch as well is that it is not as much of a commitment. If you're not happy with it anymore, you can stop taking it. Unlike an implant or IUD.
>>
>>17320052
Oh definitely, but I thankfully don't have to worry about that. I have a wonderful boyfriend who I love very much. I'm the one who would ideally love to be cummed in on the daily, kek.

>>17320057
Thank you, that's making me feel more secure in trying out those methods instead of going for an implant right away.

I really would like to be able to go full on uninhibited sex with no worries for when I lose my virginity, which I would be able to with an implant, but maybe it will be better in the long run if I just do the pill plus withdrawal for the beginning.
>>
Oral contraceptives cause cancer.
>>
>>17320003
The go to is condoms and pill.
Expensive but it works. User error for condoms is either wrong size, can't put it on right, or can't store it right. Be a bitch and make sure that everything is in order.

Plus, you get some protection against stis which you only don't need if you're married with recent checkup results.

IUD is pretty nice and shouldn't fuck up your period too much. (Copper btw)
>>
It might be worth your while to consider consulting you GP and giving the depo shot a trial.

I can tell you first hand that it's really effective at preventing pregnancy, and it could also alleviate your period problem.

First three months are kinda shit because of the change - but the longer you use it the less pronounced the changes are, and it's not too bad from a cost effectiveness point of view either (not to mention user error is practically impossible).
>>
>>17320003
Unless you're kicking out full grown adults with job interviews already lined up when you give birth ...

Use all of those methods, at the same time.
>>
>>17320175
>>17320188
Thank you guys for the responses. I'll keep both condoms and the shot in mind.

>>17320173
I understand that an increase risk for certain cancers, like breast cancer, as well as a decreased risk for others, like ovarian cancer, are a side-effect of any hormonal contraception. I'd like to avoid hormones if possible, but that risk might be worth the very effective protection.
>>
I'm 22 and use Nuvaring, never had any side effects, it's nice to know when I'll have my period (rather irregular otherwise).

You have to keep it in for 3 weeks and go one without it, so it's good for those who think having to take something every day is a bit of a hassle.

I haven't experienced any libido changes, it makes sex more spontaneous and fun since we don't have to worry about condoms.
>>
>>17320003
anal- its natures birth control
no side effects when done properly
>>
>>17320304
Oh, the arm implant is likely to cause very irregular periods, from bleeding a little every day to bleeding way more than you do now. It's not a problem if you don't find it problematic, but you use contraceptives to have sex, and it's usually not much fun if you can bleed anytime.

Nuvaring increases the risk of certain things (don't remember the names), but I consulted a midwife and she told me that pregnancy increases them even more, so it's not a reason to discard it, especially if your family members haven't had related health problems.
>>
>>17320304
>>17320331
I'd honestly had not really considered the ring because I feel afraid that it will shift out of place or fall out or something (the same with the patch). I can imagine not being sure if I have inserted it properly, but I'll definitely look into it more.

>>17320326
I of course would love to do that someday, but not before I have actual sex. That just feels out of order, and having only anal until we are ready for kids doesn't seem sustainable.
>>
(effectiveness is not per use, but yearly)

96+% effectiveness:

>IUD - 99%
>The pill (proper use) - 99%
>Condom (proper use) - 98%
>Withdrawl method (proper use) - 96-97%
>Calendar method (UNLIKELY TO GET THIS, PERFECT USE WITH A PERFECTLY PREDICTABLE OVULATION CYCLE ONLY) - 96%

70%+ effectiveness (use with other methods)

>spermicide
>Patch
>Nuvaring

Combine two of those and it's practically impossible to get pregnant. Though they all have drawbacks

IUDs are pretty invasive.
The pill is probably the hardest one there to get proper use out of
Condoms can rip but at least you'll know when they do, but you'll need to have a morning after pill on hand and be gentler during sex
Withdrawal proper requires a lot of trust in the guy to pull out the moment he feels he is about to orgasm
Calendar method requires a perfectly predictable ovulation cycle
>>
>>17320379
Just to share my personal experience, it's very easy to instert and it's never fallen out or anything. It's not a bother when having sex either, and you aren't supposed to "feel" something there.

I considered the arm implant too (in fact I bought it but chose not to use it), but the irregular periods and the fact that you are supposed to feel it if you touch your arm (otherwise it means it's moved) put me off.
>>
>>17320385
Yeah that's why I'm moreso considering the implant. Its not as invasive or dangerous as an IUD, there is no possible user error, and you can have raw, rough, spontaneous sex and cum inside.

The buddy method is very appealing though, so I'm looking at those options too.

This site has been very helpful

http://www.scarleteen.com/article/sexual_health/the_buddy_system_effectiveness_rates_for_backing_up_your_birth_control_with_a_

>>17320404
That's very reassuring, thank you. I'll definitely look more into that. Maybe as an alternative to the pill, as the ring has a lower dose and less severe hormonal side-effects because of it's proximity to the reproductive system and because it doesn't have to get through the digestive system. I think I'd probably combine it with withdrawal or something else.
>>
>>17320404
Girlfriend has the ring and in like 9/10 times she has to take it out during sex. Hitting it with my dick is the opposite of good Not really an issue though since you can leave it outside for 3h at a time.
>>
>>17320552
>she has to take it out during sex

Oo boy that would make me worry. I'm glad it's working for you guys though.
>>
>>17320003
Maybe someone can help me out, too.

I've been considering changing birth control methods. I've been on the pill almost consistently since high school because of hormonal problems and irregular periods (one in particular lasting 21 days and is the reason I started taking them in the first place).

I want to hopefully get something different that causes less periods because my period and PMS my emotions and hormones up really bad. I also hate the dry mouth I have when I'm on it.

I'm going to the doctor next month, but does anyone have any advice? And what do I say to my doctor/how do I know they're putting me on the best thing for me?
>>
>>17320552
I have had sex with two guys and it wasn't a problem with any of them
I think I only took it out the first time to compare
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.