[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I need advice here is some basic info: >I am 26, living with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: Screenshot_20160703-000332.png (529 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160703-000332.png
529 KB, 1080x1920
I need advice here is some basic info:

>I am 26, living with my mom and step dad.
>I have a biochemistry degree
>I have a part time job making $12.50/hr
>Diagnosed depression

I have a lot of debt from my degree I never managed to make use of. It's been 2 years since I graduated. I am not really interested in pursuing that field if work anyway, but it's not like I can start all over either. Ideally I'd take some 1-2 year program that would get me a decent job. Teaching, or technical work. I was thinking about accounting but looks like it'll take 6 years to get a CPA so I kinda gave that idea up. Today I built this bookshelf.

I don't know what what to say.
>>
what about medicine? Maybe you could become an RN or paramedic.
>>
I never understood why people get degrees in things they have no interest in
>>
>>17318208

>I'm young enough that I can still learn new things easily, and currently pay no rent, so I'm not chained to my job.
>I have a degree.
>I am employed.
>I am cognizant of my mental health and am taking steps to stabilize and improve it.

Man, you're doing fine.
There are a ton of jobs that are closed to everyone that does not have a degree, but open to anyone with any degree (and there are tons of people without a degree, who wish they had one). Grab one of those jobs and you can ditch the minimum wage one.
Figure out what things you are naturally good at. Be abstract.

Organization? Attention to detail? Interpersonal communication?

Once you know your natural skills, check out some career direction websites and see what careers they recommend. If any of them grab you, download a textbook on the subject and read it cover to cover.

I graduated with an English degree (no money in that, but it's a degree, and that's what matters sometimes). I worked as a teacher while figuring out what I was really good at and wanted to do, then got a certificate degree in that, and now work on the development side of IT.

It's true that there are people who went into uni knowing exactly what they wanted to do, and now they're miles ahead of everybody else. Hey, good for them. But there are also people who are ten or twenty years older than you who would kill to be as young as you are and to have so much opportunity. You didn't know exactly what you wanted to do right out the gate, but you don't need to feel down about that; not at all. Your situation is seriously fine.
>>
>>17318360
Cuz it might look good and prestigious to whoever's hiring or accepting them.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.