[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /adv/, I rarely post here but I want to hear the opinion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
File: 1456785090663.gif (979 KB, 500x700) Image search: [Google]
1456785090663.gif
979 KB, 500x700
Hey /adv/,
I rarely post here but I want to hear the opinion of people who are not my friends and family.
Do you believe that two people of different backgrounds can live together happily? It has to do with me and my gf of 4 years. I'm actually shaking just typing this.

She has done so much for me, she taught me how to not be afraid to speak my mind, to stand up for myself against others who want to harm me, to be a lot more independent and think for myself, she always stuck up for me, she always supported me when I was in need. I always supported her with her troubles too. I love her and she loves me a lot.

>She grew up in a closed community, abusive father, messed up family, worked from the age of 10 on her own, left from her community at the age of 17
Me on the other hand due to my fathers job have traveled all over the world from a baby, my family would sacrifice themselves for each other without question but left my family to live on my own only 2 years ago (I'm 25 y/o)
>Her ideal dream is to be with the one she loves far away from everyone and do our own thing without thinking of others so much
My ideal dream is to keep in contact with everyone I love (friends, family, my gf) and built on that.

cont.
>>
So as you can see we are very different. Nobody is wrong or right just different. But the problem is that this is bringing us lots of problems:

She thinks my parents and my brothers are getting in the way of forming my own life and growing up when they support me when I am in need (etc. I was once in the middle of nowhere so I phoned my bro to pick me up because I couldn't leave otherwise or I asked my father to show me how to build wooden tables and how to take care of plants and my garden) and believes that this is wrong and not healthy so do her friends she grew up with. She thinks that I should drop everything and live with her. We have been arguing for a whole year now and we're at each others throats all the time. I love her so much but at the same time she makes me so sad. My friends told that I'm not happy anymore and that she has drained all my positiveness and energy.

One day I was speaking with my parents on the phone and they told me that they see me depressed every time I'm with my gf. My gf overheard it and told me she'll never speak to my parents again cause they can't accept her. I haven't slept in days because I'm caught in between two worlds I love. I don't want answers, I just want to talk about it and hear about similar situations. In the end it's up to me anyway.
>>
I do think she is wrong about thinking that stuff. Its good that you have that kind of relationship with your family. I wish i did growing up. I was in fostercare at 12yo and my parents did drugs. I was sexually abused twice but i still keep a positive attitude. She does seem like a downer for you but its not an impossible relationship. I think shes just not used to your kind of close knit family cause hers wasnt. Even after you leave your parents house, its not a bad thing to ask for help or knowledge of something. Thats what parents are for, to teach you things, even when your older.
Instead of her being mad at your parents for thinking she makes you sad, she should of asked why they thought that, instead of being a complete bitch. She seems like she still has a lot of growing up to do OP.
>>
>>17316267
Thank you for your answer. She been through a lot of tough shit and I recognize that. I think she grew up too fast and she hasn't matured emotionally. It hurts me so much though, I don't want to lose her but all I see is constant arguing (I'm right and you're wrong type). All the damn time. I want to show her the way but I can't.
>>
File: 1463871414755.png (326 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1463871414755.png
326 KB, 1920x1080
>>
>>17316241
Your situation is interesting.

I personally think that she is right to be afraid and I completely understand her reluctance.

That said, it sounds nice to have such a loving family, the problem for her is that she doesn't have one, so to her you are her only family.

Honestly... Integrate her into your family. Tell her about your childhood, that you enjoy being with your family and that you aren't afraid around them. Convince her that they won't stab her in the back and make her feel like she is a part of that family you cherish.

It's going to be difficult and it's going to be hard to even get her to be point where she'll try to go along with you in this, but I believe it will be worth it for both of you.
>>
>>17316519
^My post. Want to add something:

It's important that you understand what you being her only family means to her and what it means for you to cherish so many more people.

She may fear that they are competition and may see herself opposed to them when it comes to securing your affection. Try to make it clear to your family that they need to be open to her being a part of the family as well.
>>
>>17316525
Thanks for the answer. A lot of friends of mine have told me that exact thing. That I'm her only family and she herself has told me that she wants me only for herself and nobody else. At first she was somewhat acceptable of my parents but now she dislikes them because she thinks that they disrespect her. It a whole mess really but I find it a bit immature from her. There are far more important stuff in life going on to be angry at little stuff like this. Just my opinion.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.