[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello /adv/ I’m in a difficult spot right now and have to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: index.jpg (7 KB, 174x290) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
7 KB, 174x290
Hello /adv/

I’m in a difficult spot right now and have to make my mind up about my future plans within the next 2 days. I’m really desperate and appreciate any and all of your input and thoughts that could help me make a decision, this might become a bit of a wall of text but please bear with me. I hope this will turn into a philosophical discussion that everyone could take something away from rather than just me receiving advice on my specific situation.

I finished high school 4 years ago, rushed into University studying Business Management because it seemed like studying is just what is expected of me at this point and business management is so popular you can’t go wrong with that right? 3 Weeks later I was done with this idea. I stopped going to lectures after the first week, thinking I could get along just fine reading the texts online from my cozy bed and eventually stopped doing even that. I just didn’t care. I had no interest.

I was left unhappy and frustrated and, being the stereotypical video games addicted basement dweller, I crawled under my blanket and done nothing. Flat out nothing. For an entire year. At this point my entire family was already hugely disappointed in me. None of them have ever achieved much career wise and never had the opportunity to study. I was the first to be given this chance and I was supposed to be grateful and do what they always wanted to do but never could. I still didn’t know what to do with myself, I had no goals or interests. Everything just sucked and bored me and besides, our entire existence was meaningless anyway. Edgy m8.
>>
>>17316184

cont.

Anyways, I decided to get the hell out of there. I bought a plane ticket to Australia and went off to a backpacking adventure that would eventually last 1,5 years over 2 continents. I just gave up my room, my computer, my life cold turkey. And I turned out to be fine. I’m not actually completely retarded socially, I could actually take care of myself and I actually could work and work hard. However, in the end I was still alone and while I was doing a fine job fitting in I still preferred my quiet gaming time over the crazy backpacker parties any day. I learned a lot, but I came home and immediately went back to my old lifestyle. I was just wired like that. I was back to doing fuck all just like that.

This brings us to my situation now. Of course, everyone expects me to finally start university and be serious about life. I mean how else are you gonna get a job later? You don’t want to be flipping burgers like your dad for the rest of your life do you?! None of them have ever left their home country before, none of them even tried to consider living in a different way. They didn’t think about their lives. I am aware that at some point I will need to find a better way to make a living than flipping burgers, but I’m not convinced that studying is the only way to go. If you’re a little clever there’s plenty of ways to make money especially online and with a little knowledge of web design or programming skills, especially because I sure as hell don’t need a lot of money to get along. I don’t want to maximise my money I want to maximise my time spent doing what I wanted to do. And 3 years of university learning something boring that I will then be stuck doing for the rest of my life 40 hours per week is not winning the race in my mind.
>>
>>17316186

cont.

I want to be out there, travelling to whatever place I feel like, doing whatever I feel like and only stop to work for few months at a time whenever I need a cash reload. I don’t care about a degree, I don’t care about your fancy job, I don’t care that you think I’m an idiot. I’m happier doing what I’m doing. Sure, this view of mine might change drastically when I get older, but then I can still settle down and get a decent job when the time comes. I might be late to getting that fancy degree but I’m smart and motivated and I will do it better than you. Who cares if I’m older than the average applicant as long as I’m the better man for the job. I will be fine. I just don’t fear about the future. I’m okay with going down as a lazy bum who did nothing with his life. Who gives a shit anyway, we’re all just gonna die and be gone and it does not matter what you did. Might as well enjoy the short time that you have here. Now obviously every sane adult thinks very differently about this matter and I’m seriously starting to question whether the majority might have a point.

Am I really just naive and immature and lazy for considering a different way to live my life?

If you’ve read this thanks for your time. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.
>>
>>17316189
Geez OP, being an adult is all about responsibilities. You need to fullfill your responsibilities to others, ie.take care of your parents, have wife and kid, keeping social contacts, ect, ect... And to do all that, you usually need a stable income. But you clearly dont care about any of that, as all your post is all about yourself. So yes, I would say you are immature. Which is not necessary a bad thing, cause, being an aldut suck dick anw.

I supprise you didnt figure that out yourself, considering all that travelling would do alot for maturing.
>>
Have you ever stopped to think that your parents might just want to enjoy life as much as you do? Because I'm sure, my parents, who have never left their country and no education either, would want to. That's like, the whole point of being parents. You sacrifice for your kids. Your parents sacrificed everything for you, or like you said, your dad flipped burger his whole life just so you could have education and foods on the table.
>>
>>17316585
>>17316516

I know...I'm thinking about that and I'm very grateful but I'm just too lazy to do anything about it. Wasn't my choice my parents had me, fuck, I'm pretty certain at this stage that I never want kids. It's just not worth it at all I'd rather spend that money on myself.

It's bad, I really don't care about anyone but myself. From my philosphical perception of life this just makes sense.
>>
>>17316954
You need to grow the hell up. Yes, your older family might have been content to finish basic education, then get to work and work hard, raise a family, and then die. You don't want that, I get it. You think you're a special snowflake. You're smart enough to have got a degree by now, but it takes more than basic brainpower. It takes motivation and hard work, and demonstrating that you can work hard even when what you're doing isn't thrilling.

You went back video games and basement dwelling because you wanted to go back to a time when you had no responsibility. Fine, you don't want to be responsible for fulfilling your parents' dreams of you becoming a white collar professional, but you're still responsible for yourself. You know this, or you wouldn't be here on /adv/. By the way, you seem very aware and you write very well so I won't say "knock it off".

Think hard about what you are really interested in. If you want to continue your education, study what you like and don't worry about jobs. If you don't like what you study, you'll hate it and do badly.

If you're certain that you want to be gypsy for now, get some qualification as a bartender. That's a great trade that allows you to travel around, get a job wherever you go, and make some money. With that, you can get on a cruise ship which sounds ideal for you.

Lastly, "it wasn't my choice that my parents had me"? What, are you 15? Drop that self pity crap right now. You're too smart for that. You're looking for reasons to reject the expectations put upon you when you don't need to. Pick something and assert for yourself your success in that field.
>>
>>17316184
OP, you sound really confused. In one moment, you are "lazy" and a "bum," the next moment, you imagine yourself applying somewhere and doing a better job than someone else... It's almost like you see your potential, but lack any real drive to get there, or you're extremely over confident.

I don't understand how someone can be so short sighted. I want to do this, this and that, but business is boring, so I could just do some work and travel, then work and travel some more.

You're not as bright as you think you are, none of us are. Instead of viewing your boring business degree as something you need to work 40hrs for someone else, you could've viewed it as an opportunity to build a strong foundation to start your own business so you could travel, travel, and travel.

I would tell almost anyone else to go get that education, but you seem to not need it. You sound just like an arrogant ME at one point in my life until reality slapped the fuck out of me when those "burger flippers" passed away and I was left to fend for myself.

Good luck.
>>
>>17316984

Yes, I try to avoid anything that takes too much effort. I don't want to take on any responsibilities if I dont have to. Basically I'm just trying to take care of myself and do whatever I want (even if I'm just bumming around) as long as I dont drag anyone else down in the process. I work when I need money and I travel when I can afford to. I'm not asking for anything from anyone. That is fair enough I think.

If I do anything productive it's going to be uni, would much rather sit in a comfy warm lecture hall and party with other students than actually fucking work my ass off to learn a trade. Also, uni is free in my country so why the hell not.

I am thinking about what you are saying though and I do appreciate your post a lot so thanks for that.

>>17317020

You're basically correct with everything you say. I am kind of arrogant, I travel around and I do think the majority of people are idiots. I think differently, "special snowflake" as the other poster called it, and I think I'm thinking about deeper things than the average person going about their average 9 to 5 lifestyle. I look at them Struggle feeding 3 kids while Im spending MY money on ME and I'm thinking i never ever want to be that family man.

And yes, I do think I could do a lot better than other people. I'm just too lazy. When it comes down it its not worth the effort. Nothing really is in life. thats my depressing nihilistic perception anyway.
>>
>>17316184
>I crawled under my blanket and done nothing
>but I’m smart and motivated and I will do it better than you.
>Who gives a shit anyway, we’re all just gonna die and be gone and it does not matter what you did.

Are you Bipolar, by any chance?
>>
OP, why do you have to make your mind up about future plans within the next 2 days?

But anyway, if you hate the idea of uni + standard job, definitely don't do it and there's nothing wrong with you. However, don't over-generalize - Business Management and similar stuff are probably the most soul-sucking thing to study..

If you're into games so much, learn game design or programming or whatever.. If you're into travelling, you could be a high-end trek guide or something, and get paid really well for a few months a year.. etc..

I never finished university either, and am doing just fine, except for having to listen to my father whine about that every now and then.. I do find it useful to be exceptionally good at something, though, cause a high-paying job takes much less time than a low-paying job, when I do want money for something..
>>
>>17317049

Errr, I dont know. I dont think theres anything actually wrong with me (as in ilness).

With that second quote you picked out I basically just meant to say that this is a state Im hoping to get to not something that Im actually thinking at the present moment. As in, I really want to have something, whatever it may be, that Im passionate enough about to really keep me motivated and give it my all because I think if I got into that state of mind I could really do great.

>>17317117

Agreed.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.