[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does therapy actually work? For a person with acute anxiety
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: received_1720764621531554.jpg (5 KB, 247x144) Image search: [Google]
received_1720764621531554.jpg
5 KB, 247x144
Does therapy actually work?

For a person with acute anxiety and insecurity who admits they have a problem and wants to change, how effective is therapy?

I've tried everything myself and my relationship is hanging on my a thread. This is my last chance. I need "results" fast, not a cure. Just some tiny improvements would be nice.

Any past experience?
>>
>>17308589
That and being heavily medicated 24/7.
>>
>>17308591
Will therapists deal with getting me medicated after a diagnosis? I'm not opposed to trying something that drastic because this is gotten to the point where it's tearing my life apart. There is literally nothing I haven't tried except professional therapy, and meds.

A free first therapy session said I definitely have problems and would benefit from more sessions but how much do these things work?

Is this like a "you'll be seeing changes in a month" kinda thing or a "you'll be fixed in time for your third marriage" kinda thing?
>>
>>17308589
It does. A good therapist is more of a tool to help you get through things yourself.

Talking to a good therapist is like wearing corrective lenses for the first time. You forget how distorted and clouded your perspective has gotten, but in time you should be able to identify the source, or sources, to your problems.

Worthlessness leads to Hopelessness which leads to Helplessness which in turn leads to more worthlessness and the cycle continues. My therapist told me that no one is helpless so that's where you have to concentrate your efforts.
>>
>>17308613
This is exactly my problem. Worrying about not being good enough to change is making me even more insecure and even harder to change. What do you recommend for someone going for the first time?
>>
>>17308589
>Does therapy actually work?
No.
>>
>>17308620
Give reason
>>
>>17308618
Just go in. I didn't prepare anything the first time I went. I just wanted to see what sould happen. From there I cmgot a better idea of things and some points I wanted to bring up, but before I could even do that we identified a major source and found a solution.

Basically, i have family problems so I need to work out, but I just graduated so it shouldn't beblong now.

But to even get to the point of having a little hope took a lot. When he brought about the idea of me being hopeful when I talked about moving out I bawled my eyes out.

One thing he said to me was that I "lit up." I've always felt like such a depressive shit so that hit me harder than anything.

Anyways, we were able to go from there. It takes time and work, but it's not the hardest thing you'll ever do.

The hardest thing you'll ever do is live with an untreated mental illnesses.

Once you identity it, the worst of it is already behind you.
>>
>>17308646
Therapy won't give you any "results". It won't change anything about you, or your girlfriend. You can't change who you are or the way you think. You can change your reactions so maybe your therapist will help you stop being such a cunt/whatever your particular problem is.

If you're trying to change your personality.. that's not how it works. The best you can hope for is to see things clearer but that's not a fix.

The effects of psychotropics are overstated as well.
>>
File: 1304387415312.jpg (115 KB, 548x720) Image search: [Google]
1304387415312.jpg
115 KB, 548x720
>>17308684
This complete and utter bullshit, taken from the perspective of someone who doesn't interact with people often. I, and many around me, have profoundly changed attitudes and behaviors in our lives, so can anyone.

By your world view I guess boot camp would be worthless too right? Just throw a rifle in a man's hands and hope he is a born killer?
>>
>>17308591
I would say to get gabapentin. That stuff helps with a lot. And speaking of that, does anyone know how to attempt to ask for that from a doctor? I've used some of my friends and I really like it. It helps with my anxiety and it helps me sleep, and sometimes when my muscles are bothering me, it stops the pain. I feel like I might have restless leg syndrome, but who knows. I'd much rather have my own prescription.
>>
>>17308589

>i need results now!

Ah Millenials...never change.

Put the graft in now and reap the benefits later fucko. If you've got genuine mental health issues and not something diagnosed by Google-MD you're in for the long haul, pal
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.