[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Questions from a potential teacher
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 1460243274970.png (15 KB, 780x1000) Image search: [Google]
1460243274970.png
15 KB, 780x1000
Hello, /adv/, I've searched the internet and everyone for advice but I'm still not sure what I should do.
I'm going to be a sophomore in college next semester (august). I think I want to be a teacher. The way it works is that you major in your desired subject area (math, science, etc) and education at the same time. I don't really care what I teach, I'm cool with anything.

Looking at what I've seen it goes like this:
>History
No jobs
>Music, Art
No jobs
>English
Some say its OK, some say its just as bad as history
>Science, Math
Most jobs
>Special ED
Where the money is at

I was thinking about going into math, but the thing is I am very bad at it. I'm sure I can teach it but the only problem is getting a degree in it. I'm scheduled to take pre-calc this coming semester so I feel like im getting a very very late start since this degree requires so much.

So I'm also thinking of biology or maybe chemistry. They aren't exactly easy either but not as bad as math, atleast not bio.

So here I have a few questions.... open to anyone who can help me. I really need to find a direction and stick with it so I don't waste any time or money.

>Is english or biology a very bad subject to get into in regards to finding a job as a teacher?
>Should I stick with mathematics or job ship to Biology

Any advice would be very helpful. God knows I need it. Also I live in New Jersey, dunno if that helps. Thanks in advance.
>>
Special ed teacher in California. I started in multiple subject general ed (k-8), but there were no jobs. I dunt get paid anything more than any other teacher of similar experience and education in the same district. There are no jobs in English, history, or electives because those are the easy subjects and every idiot thinks they can do them. Science and math, bring harder, scare away people because those subjects actually require you to know your shit. Sped has jobs available, but it's not for everyone. I did not think my last administrator was competent and was basically able to walk into another job in another district with much higher pay after a twenty minute interview.
>>
I'm also in NJ
I'm not a teacher, but I have like 5 friends who became teachers.

Look into your university and enroll in the teaching program. As far as majors go, I believe two of my friends did English major, one did biology, and one did history. They all have jobs in their local elementary schools. Also, I might be wrong about this, but I think it works like this. If you have a general education degree, you can teach grades k-8. Grades 9-12 require a degree in English or biology. Also most of my friends did a 5 year program, it was like the extra year was a graduate program.

I guess its ok to major in anything you relatively like, but I would refrain from music and art. Most schools have the single music teacher that works there for 40 years type. At least there are lots of say math teachers in high school, like honors calc, pre calc, geometry, etc.
>>
Considering the fact that you're here you might as well go for special ed with all of your experience.
>>
>>17303769
Would you recommend biology? I like it decently enough and its not as hard as math...
>>
High School English teacher in CA here.

English teaching jobs are hard to come by unless you're in the top 5%. For science, you have to be ready to teach different subjects because you often have to teach different grade levels, so you might have 3 periods/sections of bio and 2 of physics or something.

Multi-subject credential is for elementary school, while single subject credential is for midden and high school.

Unless you are supremely confidence in English and you have some publications or prior experience under your belt, I would go with science or math. Also, your pay scales based on your level of education. For example, BA + credential is tier 1 pay, BA + 15 graduate credits + credential is tier 2 pay, etc. Some colleges will make you complete your BA before allowing you to enter into a credential program, some will have the credential program embedded into you BA program. One takes longer but you start out making more money while the other lets you teach sooner but you have to get those credits to start moving up the pay scale.
>>
>>17303815

middle* confident*

Auto correct fucks me again. On a side note with English, you have to be extra careful with spelling and grammar as an English teacher. It's easier to accept mistakes from a science or history teacher, but if one thing is wrong with any correspondence then your credibility goes out the window.
>>
No matter what subject you choose, just slum it with Teach for America for a few years and you'll have the experience to get a real teaching job anywhere in the country.
>>
>>17303867
Seriously? How hard is it to get with Teach for America? Would that help even if I went the way of english?
>>
>>17303876

They send you where they have the most need, so you'll end up in some inner city school teaching reading. You won't be able to teach literature because the kids usually read 4 grade levels below where they should be.
>>
>>17303721
Teaching can be a +12 hour job with weekends.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.