[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello /adv/. The last few months I'm having very vivid dreams,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
Hello /adv/.
The last few months I'm having very vivid dreams, although not lucid ones because I don't control the conciously.
Most of the time there is a, let's say, "plotline" that lasts for a long time and still makes somehow sense.
By that I mean it's not a chain of illogical events but most of it makes sense in it's own strange way.
I often wake up out of it and I can go back to sleep and jump right into the "plot" again.
It's like every night I dream one to three very long and detailed stories.
Interesting to say is, that strong emotions are rarely attached, so I rarely wake up having cried or scared.
The dreams I have are also rarely nightmares.
Now my problem with it is, I wake up out of them and in my drowsy sleepy state I kind of want to know what else happens in that "story" and I get back to sleep again.
But that means that I usually wake up at 1 to 3 P.M so the whole fucking day is wasted.
Not even my alarm can help me out even if I place it on the other side of the room I get up, turn it off and get back to sleep again.
It's like I have to stay awake for at least 5 minutes to get back to my senses, otherwise I'm like a fucking zombie who can't control it's own body.
The fact that I work in the evenings doesn't help either.
It's like half of the time I'm living in my dream world.
But I don't really get why, I mean I'm not depressed, my life is actually pretty okay, of course I long for a more fulfilling life but who doesn't.
But I mean I'm also a 21 year old young man with his life ahead and big plans I plan to achieve, but I won't achieve shit if I sleep half of the day.
I just hope maybe someone knows what I'm talking about and either had the same problem or knows what the exact core of it is, because apparently I have some problems solving it on my own.
Please help if you can and thank you for your time.
>>
>>17302495
Speaking from experience, that happened to me at one time as well. It was a driver that pushed me towards my goals, and I miss those dreams so much.

I was going nowhere at the time really. Could not find a decent job, no real prospects and then that started happening to me. I was even able to write a dream down and it would make a bad-ass novel if I ever get around to it.

Now I'm finishing up my Law degree and MBA in a joint program at college, and it's largely due to those dreams. As soon as they stopped, I got my shit together and reached for the moon.

Embrace it, dream away until they are gone, because it's not going to last.
>>
Are you just too drowsy still to realize it's better for you to wake up?
Maybe look into a better alarm clock. Some weird one where you have to do something special to turn it off. That way you wake up enough to make conscious decisions.
>>
>>17302519
I actually know what you mean, some of the "stories" I dream are so fucking crazy you could make several bad ass novels out of them, it's just that they are so crazy and interesting that I can't get my ass out of the bed, because they are most certainly more interesting than my "okay" life right now.
Could you elaborate on how these dreams were a driver for you?
And what kind of psychological value do they have?
Is the mind longing for something greater and wants to tell the body to cooperate?
How could I use those dreams, so to say, for my cause, as you did.

>>17302525
Yeah exactly, although most of the time I have that tiny voice in my head that tells me: "You asshole know exactly that you should get up right now and get your shit done, you will regret it if you don't I assure you that." and I do regret it everytime.
I had the same thought, any ideas on some crazy alarm clocks that could do the trick.
Louder ones don't help me though, I know that already.
>>
>>17302534
Look up alarms for people who abuse snooze. I don't have any specific ones I tried.

This one looked potentially good. http://www.ramosclock.com/
You need to get up, go to the panel for it, and put in a code. Code can be the days date or a number that flashes on the clock. So you have to remember a number and punch it in.

First one I saw that takes more thinking than walking around/across your room to hit a button. There's probably plenty more.
>>
>>17302495
The longing feeling you're talking about, my dreams fed right into that, I would have dreams of flying, to dreams of giving public speeches and huge crowds just cheering and shit.

It motivated me because during those dreams, it gave me that second of how it feels to just achieve something awesome, even for only a split second. I'd wake up, and do my best to go back to sleep and chase that feeling.

When the dreams stopped, I yearned for that feeling again and there was only one way to grab it for good: chase my dreams of going back to school and achieve something I had longed for.

They may have been dreams, but they were wake-up calls.
>>
>>17302544
Thank you, anon.
I will look into it, maybe it'll help getting my dreamy ass up and be able to deal with what is bothering me.
>>17302566
That makes sense, I have similiar dreams in which I am more and do more than I what is the case in reality. I can say myself that I yearn for a lot more than I currently am and have.
I think I will concentrate on what the message of those dreams are exactly.
Thanks anon, it was good reading I'm not the only one and it seems like it's more or less the same situation.
So thank you very much for your time, at least I know now what to do with those dreams.
>>
>>17302534
They do have psychological value, yes. Not by interpretation though, and I say this having studied psychology after that experience. A dream is your mind processing your life, thoughts, understandings, etc. and storing it all in memory with associative values so you can access and process such, in a more efficient manner.

Psychologically speaking, if you're dreaming of something you were previously afraid of, and your mind begins to assign feelings of euphoria to such, you become less afraid and actually not afraid at all. In my case, and in reference to that dream of giving speeches; I was never the kind of person to even think about giving speeches, but here I was yearning for an opportunity to share my thoughts with the world.

Dreams aren't telling your body to do anything, as stated previously, they're just encoding things into memory.

If you are experiencing dreams like you said, you don't need to do anything go to sleep and smile when you wake up with the understanding you are getting a rare glimpse of your mind at work. I think a lot of people (like the ones suggesting alarm clocks) perhaps would view the subject much differently, but what you're experiencing is more like a daily documentary of your life from the time you wake up, until the time you go back to sleep, and incorporates everything from a nice song you listened to all the way to a movie you watched.

Enjoy it while it’s happening, seriously. Enjoy every moment of it, because when it’s gone, you’re going to want it back, and I know your ass can’t fly RL, so you’re going to naturally chase that feeling, just like you would some cocaine and hookers.
>>
>>17302599
No problem, anon.
>>
>>17302619
Thanks anon, for the psychological view on that matter, I think I gathered enough advice to find the golden mean of this situation.
If someone feels the need to add something to that matter, I can't stop you.
But thus far, I thank you all for your quick and detailed answers.
Have a good day, you guys.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.