[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Turned 23 about a month ago >Dropped out of college about
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1
File: }.jpg (348 KB, 1280x1707) Image search: [Google]
}.jpg
348 KB, 1280x1707
>Turned 23 about a month ago
>Dropped out of college about a month ago

What do? I want to be a web programmer, but I'm not sure If I should just try to be self-taught and get better with experience, or start a new school and take even more years out of my life. My parents insist that I can be nothing with school, which I don't think I can 100% agree with, but I don't have the confidence to be good without studies, they insist people literally don't consider you for jobs because of it.

Any advice would be fine.
>>
>>17301966
No one's going to hire you if you're self taught unless you have a ton of experience. By a ton of experience, I mean more than the time required to get a qualification in it.
>>
>>17301966
It depends on where you live OP, but where I am from it is pretty much what your parents say. You wont even get considered for an interview without a degree.

It's not so much about actual skills (you can become a competent programmer on your own), but more as a "certificate" HR and recruiters use in order to filter out unfit candidates. It's also about what companies try to sell to their clients, many consultant firms have a MSc as a requirement not because the job requires it at all, but because their clients want it and they can charge more per hour.

So you should just man up and see it through.
>>
Thanks, I guess I'll have to make it work, probably will study/work part time. I just wanted to have some opinions.
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.