[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I desire a job. I am neet and have been for 2 years (never had
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 576805678.jpg (49 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
576805678.jpg
49 KB, 720x720
I desire a job. I am neet and have been for 2 years (never had a job before). I have graduated high school, have very basic experience with soldering and general computer maintenance, and above average experience with desktop Windows, Linux, and *BSD (so completely useless to companies). I am very interested in electronics but it seems like every job for electronics requires experience that I don't have from just fucking around at home. I know I need to start from the bottom, I just really don't want to work in food industry and have even been considering logging and roadwork jobs over it but before I go that fucking far to do something I don't want to do and probably wont be able to even go a day without fainting I want to know from what I have told you, what I might be able to apply for? Are there any specific companies or general business niche I would fit into? I was thinking something like Geek Squad or even online tech support (even though that would be frustrating as fuck), maybe even something like Gamestop or some shit if thats even around here but I know there are thousands of winners lined up for that and I probably wouldn't be able to compete. I am also very interested in programming but don't have enough experience for fucking anything and have only been able to go through four chapters in a C learning course and have been fucking slacking off even though I really enjoy it. I feel so stupid please give me ideas, my family is getting impatient with me
>>
So you have pretty much no experience what so ever besides minor IT knowledge which every fucking guy who isn't above 50 has, yet you don't want to start off in a low position such as fast food? Well hate to break it to ya mate but you're shit out of luck. Why would any employer want to hire a guy with no experience what so ever when they could just hire the guy next to you who has been working in the low-tier food industry throughout most of High School?

Does the food industry suck? Is it hard work? Yes, but it proves one thing to your future employer and that is that you are dedicated. Employers aren't stupid, they know a job at KFC or whatever sucks shit, so when they see that you have the drive to put up with that shit for two or so years that is far better than having nothing but your basic IT knowledge backing you up.
>>
>>17295486
That is why I was asking, I assume there are entry level tech jobs as well which is where I want to start, in the field I enjoy
>>
>>17295486
So food industry really is the only fucking entry level jobs? I have been looking around everywhere, all these webpages say ENTRY LEVEL and yet require years of experience in the field. Even if I got a food industry job how the fuck would I get into tech jobs later when they all require experience in their respective fields? I am lost man I didn't mean to be rude I am just upset
>>
That's just how it is mate. Just because a job is entry level doesn't mean you can go in there with just basic knowledge. Do you go to College?
>>
>>17295621
School, certs, trade class, money. Rip your wallet.
>>
>>17295462
I feel you anon

I am basically the same as you, but I got a job and started at the beginning of this year
It's a dead-end job and is fucking boring
But I cant complain, they pay well and it's only until next year

Do something and you'll learn to appreciate your freetime even more
>>
No college, thanks for responding I will just go looking around and apply at a shitload of places I guess. Homedepot seems to be hiring but they don't do a good job explaining what positions they want, gg
>>
Not op but anyone has any advice on holding a tray of drinks?Also any general advice for newbie waiters?
>>
>>17295652
That's the point, all of the ways to advancement cost money. You might as well drop out of society and be a homeless bum.
>>
Don't worry about job experience, worry about presenting yourself and your resume in way that makes whoever you're trying to impress for the job see you as a capable.

As long as you have basic computer skills, people skills, math skills, and you can show up on time 5 days a week. You're qualified for every single entry level job. Unless you live in a major city where everyone has those qualities plus a college degree, you don't need to worry about having a massive amount of job experience.

If you put in 5 hours a day, sending out your resume to every single potential job offer an writing decent cover letters. You'll eventually get something.

My first job, I did the most basic customer support imaginable. I got the job with a resume, that looking back makes me cringe with chills how lame I must of come off to everyone who rejected me. But still, all it took was one phone call, I was able to sound personable and confident to the HR lady that I could show up, learn about the product, and answer the phone to help the customers. One year later, I got whatever I needed on my resume to present myself to pretty much any employer who needed someone with entry level customer and computer skills. I'm making 20+ an hour, living in one of the biggest cities out here, working next to people who have 60K plus in college debt.
>>
>>17296856
What the fuck would I put on my resume though? That is the hardest part for me, I have nothing to write about. Could you tell me what you initially wrote, and what you regret about it later?
>>
>>17296985

Everyone has something to say about why they'd be a good fit for anything potentially offered to them, the problem is you don't even have anyone asking you the question in the first place because you're stuck thinking you don't have anything to say. The key, is to just say something, and put it out there, and hope what you said wasn't garbage and hope when you pick up the phone you have some measure of confidence about yourself.

Instead of job experience, put down general experience and start typing about all the qualities you have that could relate to a work environment. Have a paragraph for computer skills, have a paragraph for organizational skills. Work on any big projects in your life? Fuck man, everyone has done something, you just need to find the right words that prove to that one person you can show up, learn, and repeat for a year or two.

My very first resume, I didn't even have a field for past work experience. I simply put General Experience/Skills and listed projects, skills and qualities that I had which could be a good fit for any employer.

Look, you're dealing with people. It's not a heartless wasteland out there, people are always willing to give someone a chance. But they can't give you a chance, unless you try in the first place. Don't worry about all of this resume bullshit too much, just start grinding it out and have some confidence in yourself.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.