[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>My entire family has always had a very patriarchal relationship
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1
File: 1427721408232.jpg (542 KB, 1280x905) Image search: [Google]
1427721408232.jpg
542 KB, 1280x905
>My entire family has always had a very patriarchal relationship with my father.
>He's always very removed from our lives even though we live together. Left everything to our mother pretty much.
>He was an abusive piece of shit. Beat me and my siblings when he was in a bad mood and made our mother feel like shit.
>My mother is a very timid woman who married her first love and still loves him even though he clearly uses her for a lot of things.
>I dont doubt he loved her at one point but I'm pretty sure he's cheated on her multiple times throughout his life.
>He also had untreated mental problems. Often accused us of going through his things, kicked my mother out of their room and installed multiple padlocks, accused his own family of conspiracy type shit against him often.
>Had to physically fight him when I got older and bigger than him to stop him from abusing the rest of my family. Now he just leaves us alone and never talks to us even though he lives down the hall
>My father is now on his deathbed. He developed lung cancer after smoking for a decade. None of my siblings will admit it but we're all glad to see him go and I'm pretty sure he knows it.
>The only problem is my mother still loves him and I know it's going to hurt her badly when he finally dies.
>Me and my siblings decide we need to talk to our mom before he dies about how he treated us so she's not in denial or blames herself.
>we all decide I should do it since I'm the closest to her.

I'm going to talk to her in the morning. Any advice on letting an abusers wife know its not her fault and that it's okay not to miss him? I know she is going to be going through some fucked up emotions because of all the emotional shit he's pulled on her for decades.
>>
You do this after he dies, not before. I'm shocked that you would even consider doing it before.

That's making everything about you all, not about her. Sounds really selfish in general, actually

You're trying to take something from her and tell her it's bad..what does it matter after he's gone?
>>
>>17294893
>Someone wants to make their mother know its not her fault after being abused by their father for decades.
>you're making it all about you.

Really don't know where you got this from. I don't see what they have to gain from talking to her about this. Abusers often instill guilt and blame with their victims so I 100% agree with what they're trying to do.

I agree with waiting though. I would even suggest waiting a few weeks after the death so she can calm down and think a little clearer.
>>
>>17294884
Why do you hate your mother so much?

If, as you say, her love for him is the one thing that has enabled her to live with his cruelty, it is likely to be the one thing that enables her to live with his death.

Be clear - I am not talking about any fantasy that he loved her. She almost certainly has none. But finds meaning in her life because she chose to go on loving him in spite of everything.

And now you want to steal that from her, just because you and your sibs don't love him.

You must hate her very much.
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.