[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Been at Uni for 3 years, really not enjoying it as much as I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (14 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
14 KB, 300x168
Been at Uni for 3 years, really not enjoying it as much as I should be, don't put much effort into classes and dislike having to deal with so many people. Parents want me to stay and finish, but they don't know I've been struggling with my mental health and have had a few stays in hospital over suicide attempts. Don't want to tell them about mental health because honestly I'd rather struggle to handle that myself than have to hear their judgements (as I have before), but I talked to them about quitting Uni and it just isn't an option. Should I stick with it and just try my hardest or try to find something I enjoy and risk pissing them off? I am their last hope and I think it would just fuck their lives up.
>>
You fucked up the moment you decided going to something as retarded as >uni
Was a good idea
>>
>>17291199
I like the idea of furthering my education, and having an actual career as opposed to just a job, I'm just not happy.
>>
>>17291210
>I NEED to go to uni to have this
>they are one in the same
And, once again, you've proven you are retarded as shit. Even more so for doing things based on social expectations of status and not because it makes you happy.

Unless you're materialistic as fuck and feel entitled to a high paying job, then you have alternatives to uni to accomplish your goals. It's crazy how you're so retarded that you didn't check the statistic to see over 40% of degree holders don't even work in a field their degree was in. Hell, my friend graduated with her masters this summer. I watched her spend years dedicated to something and it seemed like she was well on to a "career" in what she studied. But no, she works at the Salvation Army now helping people, instead of being an accountant at one of the many banks she was courted by. Why? Because she decided it's not what she enjoys doing, and want to find what she loves doing in life. She was misguided in thinking simply going to uni helps her find this answer. If you're that fucking uninteresting that shit like the school you went to or your "career" is all you have to make up for your otherwise worthlessness, do the world a favor and kill yourself now. We need more leaders, less sheep.
>>
uni is literally for having sex going to parties and raping girls lmao
>>
>>17291194
you're not supposed to enjoy university, if you're doing university right its supposed to be stressful and hectic

if it's "lots of fun" you're doing some shit wrong
>>
>>17291230
t. aquiline nose
>>
>>17291222
What the fuck man? I'm not doing it because society expects it of me, I'm here because my fucking parents wanted me to be here and if I quit it would tear them apart. As stated I did come here because I enjoyed it but now I don't, and I was not expecting it to be easy but it's proving too hard for me. I think you need to calm down a bit and not accuse everyone of trying too hard to be perfect in the eyes of society, because the only people I'm trying to please are my family and that's pretty fucking normal, especially when my family is falling apart and I'm the only reason they haven't given up.
>>
>>17291242
You should continue. You've already invested so much, if you think finishing up is a waste you're forgetting how much you already wasted.

Vent a little more, honestly. Sounds like you don't have anyone to lean on.
>>
>>17291253
I have heard this, and it's smart. Just gotta toughen up.
I'm not sure if you actually want me to continue because it seems to be internally infuriating peoplr but yes, you're right I don't have anyone because I am expected to have it all together, I expect that of myself. I know I have to grow up and just commit to something, but it's a hard thing to do. At the moment I feel like I'm going to quit whatever I attempt to do, and it isn't just a matter of telling myself to do it and believing I can, I just don't seem to stick with anything. I have a few things that I love but I don't think I would stick to them if I attempted to make a career out of them. Just don't know what to do and I'm at a point in my life as well as a position in my family where I really have to have something, regardless of whether I know what I want to do with my life.
>>
>>17291265
Perceptive, yeah I don't think you should continue. But you're smart enough to know why. That aside it's possible you're looking too far ahead and getting overwhelmed. Go a bit at a time and just handle what you have on your plate right now. If you're worried about work and other society based expectations, then yeah you're going to get some buttmads. Honestly it's surprising you don't realize you yourself hate it.

There are people out there who can help you with your concerns, just find the time to seek them out. Don't quit before you start, eh?
>>
>>17291284
Thank you.
>>
>>17291194
Update, am struggling to deal, melting down a little, just downed a bunch of pills. Don't know how to start again, so why don't I just finish?
>>
>>17291321
Finish uni, even if you don't want to. But slow it down there bud, just read the thread again. Something else gettin' ya?
>>
>>17291329
It's still this, but related to all aspects of life. I don't feel like I'll ever succeed in anything, so why keep whinging to everyone and wasting their time?
>>
>>17291335
Not much reason to assume anybody is spending their time more valuably than you are. Don't pretend that everybody is living an optimized lifestyle. So for someone to sit down and listen to your problems is hardly an issue. Isn't that what people here do all the time? Even if nobody receives any real help, and most of the threads consist of "what do they mean by this", people still post in them as if there is something legitimate to be said.

You may not get a gold star for every accomplishment, you may never get that pat on the back for doing a good job, it just might be that nobody says "nice work" for being on time every day. Is that so bad?
>>
>>17291348
I didn't understand most of that but do you know how difficult is actually is to kill yourself? Pretty fucking difficult. Even if you ingest 191 ibroprofen tablets death is not certain, but considerable pain is. Most effective method is shotgun and unfortunately I am not in possession of one, nor would I have the balls to pull the trigger. I prefer to take pills because it's easy and you not only get to wait for death but once you swallow there's no turning back, so all you have to do is wait. Doesn't take much courage at all, but it's so fucking hard.
>>
>>17291359
I didn't interpret that other post as you trying to kill yourself, my mistake. Yeah I understand how difficult it may be, finally going through with it. If you already know you're not going to die from pills, what are you even doing? If it's not too late, stop. If it is, hit up the hospital.

What I wanted to point out is that there's no reason to believe your lack of success is the result of your individual worthlessness as a human being. That's something you're putting upon yourself. To then go on to say that because of your failures nobody should devote their time to helping you because it could be better spent elsewhere, that's just nonsense.

You are actively assuming you wont succeed before you've started. The fact you went three years of uni aware of your decided lack of effort shows you have potential to put one foot in front of the other if you just did it. Keep at it man.
>>
>>17291194
I admire your determination to go it alone, but sometimes asking for help is the wisest choice. Your parents may be judgmental because they don't know of your mental problems and think you're just a slacker. If you tell them the full story, you may find them supportive.
>>
>>17291359
I'm in the same boat as you. I was thinking downing some sleeping pills with wine. Want to go down the classier way.
>>
>>17291381
It's been a while and I'm just super tired and feeling like shit.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.