[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I need help buying a suit or two, and how to get the best fit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
I need help buying a suit or two, and how to get the best fit for my frame. Slim suits are in style, but I have a wider frame all around - my best comparison is probably Chris Pratt. (No, I'm not ripped like in Guardians of the Galaxy, but I'm also not fat Andy either)

I almost feel like the pic here looks like the suit is a little too tight. What's the best style for someone with this kind of frame? My weight fluctuates somewhat too, so I'm worried about getting something that's absolutely form fitting and then putting on a few lbs and looking like shit.
>>
Go to a mens store and get sized, you fucking idiot. Best to get slip on shoes because you are likely too stupid to tie laces.
>>
Chris Pratt is wearing a 'normal' men's cut in that frame. Nothing fancy, no frills. You're thinking of that slim European cut, which you will likely not be able to pull off, no matter who tries to sell it to you.

Personally, I think the slim/european cut looks ridiculous, as if you took a suit that was too small and made the shoulders fit and nothing else. You won't be able to pull off that look unless you are a ridiculously cut model, a homosexual, or both. If you have the same kind of frame as chris pratt (i.e, normal) then you should get that same style of suit. His suit fits perfectly, it just looks a bit tight because of the way he's posed - you don't generally sit there with your hands in your pockets. It's moving the hem of his jacket out and stretching the front of his pants so they look like his hips are too wide.

Save up ~$100 bucks or so and go to Macy's and get sized. Tell them you'd like a suit in a traditional men's cut, pants on your shoes and and sleeves no more than 3/4ths of an inch past your wrist. You should be able to cup the hem of the jacket with your fingers when your arms are hanging straight down. Get a decent pair of loafers or oxfords in a muted color without too much patterning, which draws attention to your shoes, not somewhere you want people to be looking. As a gentleman, you don't want your suit to be 'loud' either, so pick one in blue, black, or grey. Subtle pinstripes are okay, and may even be beneficial as they'll let you match socks/tie to more colors.
(con't)
>>
>>17291084

Unless you're fluctuating 30 lbs or so and ~3 inches on your waist, the fit is not going to be much of a problem. Jackets are fitted to your arm length, shoulders, and chest, for the most part, so it won't get too tight unless you develop a huge gut, and it's almost impossible for it to become baggy unless you are seriously overweight and lose it or are still growing. Same goes for pant length. Waist size is the obvious problem as mentioned earlier with weight gain especially, and if your ass gets too big it won't fit properly across the front and the stretching will show off your fly and make it look weird across the front.

For ~100 dollars, you will be getting a suit off the rack. Occasionally they will try to sell you on some kind of glue-fitting. Do not buy into this, because it will disintegrate after 4 or 5 times at the dry-cleaners. Check the material of the jacket. You should be able to separate it a little bit by rubbing your finger and thumb in a circle while you have it pinched - this means that the layers are actually sewn together and not, as previously mentioned, glued. Not every part is going to fit perfectly, but that's fine. You're better off getting something with a little more material in it, because this will help with the next step. Afterwards you should take your suit and get it tailored. She'll draw in the sleeves and hem (make sure you give the same instructions as before, because she may want to bring them up extra to show off socks/sleeves unnecessarily like in a euro-cut) and fix the material across the hips and back/shoulder if necessary. You can probably find an asian lady in town who will do the whole thing for 20-30 bucks.

Source: Father owned a clothing store for 10 years, still does all my clothier/tailoring.

That should just about cover it.
>>
Oh, and chris pratt's tie is too short. tip of the tie should be ~inch off your belt. Don't get boxed-off ties like the one he's wearing, they're designed to go with that shrunken euro cut and don't look very good even on those.
>>
>>17291084

Awesome, saved!
>>
>>17290782
You want an impressive suit?

Go for the Harvey Spectre look
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.