[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So since I'm a piece of shit and for various other reasons,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: 1463931244642.jpg (770 KB, 705x1181) Image search: [Google]
1463931244642.jpg
770 KB, 705x1181
So since I'm a piece of shit and for various other reasons, I'm back at home for a year, and I will be starting college next fall.

Until then, I want to use my massive free time to get develop some useful skills. I need; Ideas for skills that are easily certifiable or commonly used in entry-level positions, help with scheduling a sort of "lesson plan" and the best way to do so, usefull apps or programs to keep me on track or to supplement learning.

So, as a jumping off point, I'm computer-literate but I don't know any programming language. I'm interested in learning but I don't have much of an idea of how to learn myself, or really what language I should focus on.

I also really need to upgrade my math skills, I just took the new SAT and got a 580 on the math part so I'm basically retarded.

Anyone else have experience doing this? I know the biggest hurdle will just be the self-discipline to DO it but I think I can handle it. For the last 3 months I've been routinely going to the gym every other day and learning Japanese.
>>
>>17289672
>Japanese
This is going to make you look like a huge weeb, and nobody will take it seriously; if you're looking to impress (which, if you're burger, is the only probable use of a language), you should learn a language of the near east (especially one with a foreign alphabet). In particular, Arabic and Russian are now available on Duolingo, which is easy for those who struggle with motivation.

As math is concerned, I'm actually looking to do the same; my plan is to get a big math book (not necessarily a textbook) and learn 1-3 formulas a week from it.

Lastly, you're not a piece of shit; a piece of shit would not be doing any of this, and if it's because you wronged somebody in some way, a piece of shit wouldn't feel guilty or down on themselves. This (apparent) self-hatred may become a serious obstacle for you if you don't fix it. I've never hated myself though, so I really can't help you there. I would suggest affirmations though
>>
>>17289839
Edit: Also, nice to see a thread on here that isn't relationshit oriented. Fucking sick of those.
>>
>>17289839
Mandarin or Spanish is probably the most useful I would say.
>>
>>17289839
>>17289839
We'll I'm getting my TESOL to ALT in Japan for a few years. I do plan on learning more languages after though, it's not for weeby reasons. The only animes I like are Dragon Ball Z and stuff, lol.

And I just incluided that to show I have the wake up, gym, sit down and learn thing going for me already, so now I just need a better grasp of what I should be learning since the JPN takes like an hour or two at most, and I spend like 8 playing Overwatch.

So the scenarios are that I like Japan so much I get a job there after the ALT thing, or I move back and learn a different language to then go check out a new country.
>>
>>17289839
OH, and I appreciate the pep-talk at the end but it was mostly a joke calling myself a piece of shit. I just made a few minor mistakes with applying to college and I lost my car to an accident so I feel a tad behind. Wishing I could start this semester but I'll make the most of it!
>>
Real talk: learn to write. I don't mean fiction, just in general. Being able to communicate will help you get ahead in life.

Trying online dating? Proper grammar and a witty style can the difference between "he looks okay but I can do better" and "holy fuck I want to hang out right now"

Want to get a job? You'll be writing cover letters. Make that shit work for you.

It'll help for school and stuff of course, but you won't get very far in life without knowing the basics of good writing.
>>
>>17290092
Thanks you! See I never even thought of this. Is there like a Khan Academy sort of course you could recommend?
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.