[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any advices on learning German?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5
File: Munich-Beer-Culture-1_800x533.jpg (324 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
Munich-Beer-Culture-1_800x533.jpg
324 KB, 800x533
I want to learn it as my third language, been studying it for like 10 days and i got into basic-middle sentence forms, artikels and declensions: It gets frustrating over time. I also try duolingo and rosetta stone at the same time too but many comments are negative. Any advices?
>>
>>17281713
>duolingo and rosetta stone
Absolutely not. Stop right now.

What other resources are you using? Don't tell me that's it.
>>
>>17281713

Sprechen Sie mit Deutsch Menschen, mein Freund. Im Deutsch.

My German is very bad as you can see, but I definitely think the best way to improve it is speaking in German. When I went to Germany I tried to speak what I knew, and got in a bit of a mess, but it improved me straight away, because you learn how people ACTUALLY talk. And especially with today's internet culture, you will find that conversation language can differ from what a textbook teaches you.

That said, I do think Duolingo is a good starting point, and if you don't have any other German people to speak to then it's a good resource. I reckon do that and try and get a German penpal as well, or just something to get you writing / speaking conversational German.

I'm an Englishman and as I say my German is terrible, so that's just my two pennies. An actual German person might be able to give you better advice.
>>
>>17281723
I try to test myself with some grammer teaching sites like german.net, deutsch akademie
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~deutsch/Grammatik/Grammatik.html
http://www.german-grammar.de/grammar/content/english_german_table_of_content.htm

And solve some quizzes. As well as the stuff i stated. I study one issue and test my comprehension by producing some German sentences about it.

Dont have much choice; cant afford to go for a course. I also watch Katja(Deutsch für Euch)'s videos, shes really nice and comprehensible. People also recommend pimsleur and such stuff but i dont know. Everyone says different things.
>>
Lurk Krautchan or something
>>
>>17281723
Rosetta stone is awful, but Duolingo is great. There's even a study by a non-biased third party that shows it to be as effective as a college class when used for 30 or so hours I think it was

I started to learn German with Duolingo 2 years ago, finished the tree, and now i'm starting to read books.
>>
>>17281741

This guy - >>17281732 - again

You say that but people on the chans are usually pretty hostile. And they will be speaking in meme-speak. So I don't think it's the best way to learn for a beginner.

Duolingo is going to be much better. The thing is it doesn't just make you learn words, it encourages you to put that into practice by translating real passages of German prose. So it's pretty good.
>>
>>17281739
I would recommend checking the >>>/int/ sticky for languages, and buying some textbooks/workbooks, preferably with CDs so you can improve your accent. Having structure is key. People laugh at >leddit, but their language learning subreddits do have good resources and recommendations. Like >>17281754 said, wouldn't recommend learning off chans yet. Meme-speak is confusing.

>>17281747
Duolingo is terrible. All it teaches you is canned sentences, doesn't teach you grammar or really how to use it. I've tried it at various stages of fluency for various languages, and it's been absolutely useless every single time. It's only "good" as a supplementary resource, maybe for some vocabulary.

Why people are so immune to traditional methods is beyond me. If you want to end up with elementary spelling errors after years of practice, parroting strange sentences, by all means continue.
>>
I studied German for a while and it's still dogshit.

Will jemand mit mir auf Deutsch reden?
>>
oh yeah, I also want to point out that german has declensions for adjectives, which can be really tricky if you don't have a similar system in your language. slavic languages have a similar and much more intense system, so does latin, but the other euro languages like french, english, etc dont.

you might want a book or a teacher to help you with that, as rosetta stone and duolingo will probably not be much help.

if you're really serious about it here's what ive been using for grammar review

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~deutsch/Grammatik/Grammatik.html
>>
>>17281772
Nein. Sitzpinkler.
>>
Thanks for all the replies. I study with the sites that i stated before, like dartmouth and such. I try to comprehend one issue, take notes and try to form sentences concerning that issue and checking it's correctness through google translate&sentence corrector sites (yeah i'm a loner). And also solve quizzes from german.net and deutsch-akademie. They are a little bit hard for beginners though.

I found Duolingo pretty enjoyable and good in memorizing. Rosetta is good too but i think it's very simplistic, not complete. I fear that with only rosetta stone, one can only form basic german sentences and cant understand anything. Hope someone can prove me wrong. Cant just decide what is best for learning; there are tons of stuff in internet. Some praise audio lessons, some do other things.
>>
>>17281799
sit pissin is much more comfortable dude
>>
File: pepetry.png (154 KB, 281x386) Image search: [Google]
pepetry.png
154 KB, 281x386
I'm german and I don't have a hard time speaking it.
You're just stupid.
>>
>>17281819
Hahaha sind Sie eigentlich ein sitzpinkler

Tunte
>>
>>17281868
>>17281869
I think I'll learn Italian instead, actually. Germans are jerks.
>>
>>17281868
are you a bersorgter burger?
>>
>>17281713
Read and write lot's of German. Actually any language you want to learn. For me it's other way round. My first language was German and I've learned English while reading lots of fan fiction. And browsing anything in English. And watching any sitcom/movie in English.
I hope in the meantime I've gotten good enough for my writing to pass as a native speaker's. Have I?
>>
File: 1453319171001.jpg (73 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
1453319171001.jpg
73 KB, 900x675
>>17281882
No, I'm just a rational person.
>>
Try here:
https://coerll.utexas.edu/gg/gr/about.html
That was helpful for me when I first started.
>>
>>17281875
German is a language you will never speak or write the right way until you actually live there.
>>
File: besorgter burger.jpg (15 KB, 310x173) Image search: [Google]
besorgter burger.jpg
15 KB, 310x173
>>17281923
okay, I'm glad you're none of them.
>>
>>17281772
Klar, worüber denn?
>>
>>17281875
I'm not German, I'm English, I was just calling him a faggot because he sits down to piss

And you are objectively a fucking homo if you do that

Have some fucking testicles for Christ's sake
>>
Learn Japanese instead you faggot

It's still not too late to turn back
>>
If you have questions about german sentences you can always ask here, quite a few germans here as you can see.

you got threema? would offer some help if necessary
>>
Yes desu, learning wapanese would be very kawaii and sugoi desu.
>>
>>17281875
Why the hate? :'(
>>
>>17281976
I dont use it but i would really like some help on some grammar topics and sentence structure. How to do?
>>
>>17282019
Could you give me a example?
>>
File: 1466188685698.jpg (436 KB, 1182x966) Image search: [Google]
1466188685698.jpg
436 KB, 1182x966
>>17281964
>he doesn't piss and shit at the same time
>>
>>17281713
we could chat a little bit from tim to tim
>>
>>17282036
what did you mean by that
>>
>>17282086
With what grammar topics do you need help
>>
>>17282103
there are quite a bit, but i wouldnt disturb you. I only wanted to learn some insights into declensions and sentence forming, which i would ask with my sentences to you whether if they are right or not.
>>
>>17282270
Give me a sentence then
>>
I'm currently studying abroad in germany actually.

you have to pay serious money for professional classes or move to the country to truly learn a language. just dont go to berlin everyone speaks english
>>
can we chat? and how?
>>
>>17282299
can we chat? and how?
>>
>>17282416
i went to austria and had like the opposite problem

i couldn't understand anyone, and they didn't want to listen to my hochdeutsch for a second
>>
>>17282442
WhatsApp or skype?
>>
>>17282450
can we chat on skype? that would be good
>>
>>17282525
Sure give me your skypeadress
>>
>>17282539
sefirotxd - Jack Warren, give me yours so i can add if there s a problem. thank you man
>>
>>17282558
No problem
>>
>>17281713
If you can, try living there for a bit. I usually pick up languages faster when I'm living there.
>>
>>17282040

Yes of course I do you fucking mong, but if you sit down just to take a piss, that's feminine fucking behaviour bro

Have some fucking balls
>>
50 languages app has been working for me...
>>
I've lived in Germany for 5 years and have a decent level of skill, if you want you can add me on Skype to practice/ask questions
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.