[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm looking at moving out for the first time, from southern
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
I'm looking at moving out for the first time, from southern California, to Washington.

How the fuck do I do this? I know fuckall about moving out, let alone moving to another state. I have like $10,000 saved, is that enough to not have a bad time?
>>
>>16492366
Try to secure a job in Washington before moving there. This will be tough as most employers prefer hiring a local candidate that he can have a face-to-face interview with. I know someone who found a job overseas as a vet (she only had a phone interview before being hired), but then she has a lot of working experience and she was looking for jobs in a rural area.
If you move before finding a job, things will be risky. You can end up jobless or employed in some job which pays very little (ie minimum wage). Do you have friends or relatives to live with in Washington? If not, you will need to rent a place to live and this costs money. You will have to pay for your rent and other expenses even if you can't find a job.
$10,000 is most likely too little. As I've said, there is no guarantee that you can find a job after moving to Washington.
>>
>>16492366
Oh, another thing. Can you depend on your parents financially if you really do end up broke? Are your parents well-off or not? There's the chance that you can end up broke, you know. $15/hour at McDonalds will not be enough for rent unless if you live with other roomates.
>>
>>16492377
Yeah, I'm for sure going to try to get a job first. I don't have anyone to live with, and probably was going to try to rent a 2 bedroom place with a roommate, since it's looking like that's the cheapest reasonable option.

Is 10,000 really too little? It seems like everyone I know who has moved out managed on significantly less than that. (granted, most of them were moving locally)

>>16492383
In an emergency, yeah I probably could.
>>
>>16492366
Make a scouting trip before you move. Look around the area or city you want. Check out neighborhoods that are good, safe, cheap, convenient to work. Maybe even get some job interviews.

A week spent in a motel while you research the area will be an investment well worth its cost.
>>
>>16492395
$10,000 American dollars? Most likely yeah. Maybe not if you are relocating to some rural area where the cost of living and rent is not as expensive. Also, chances are you will not be able to live comfortably. You will have a tight budget for everything and you will probably need to work long hours at dead-end jobs in Starbucks, Burger King, etc.
Do you have a degree or anything? What about work experience?
Why don't you just stay with your parents in Cali? It's cheaper as you don't need to pay for rent. Also, you don't need to give up your job if you stay in your area.
>>
>>16492398
That's completely doable, I even have a cousin there I could probably stay with for a week or whatever while I scouted things out.
>>
>>16492398
>safe, cheap, convenient to work
As I've said, dead-end jobs at McDonalds is not enough for rent. Maybe OP should consider finding a roomate or two before relocation?
>>
>>16492366
$10k Is the perfect amount to have saved up before you leave. You can easily love for 6 months until you find a job on that. Like the other anon said, though, it's better to find the job first, but the lower you are on the totem pole the harder it will be. If you're doctor or a professional of any kind with a bachelors and work experience in a certain field it shouldn't be hard. If you're going to try and look for a McJob from out of state you're gonna have a bad time. Take a solid week and apply for every single thing you can find in a few hand picked areas you want to be in, and then be ready to pack up once you get an interview. Once you're there you'll make it work. Look up the cities you want, then google the top 5-10 employers for those cities/counties. Also look on the city and county web sites themselves for GOVERNMENT positions open.
Don't be scared. Be ready to hit the road.
>>
>>16492410
>with a bachelors and work experience in a certain field it shouldn't be hard
kek, no. a lot of fields are saturated with local workers
>>
>>16492404
I've never worked in food service or anything (and would prefer not to, but i'll take what I can get), but I have a decent amount of experience working at a couple of hotels and a few other places.

>>16492408
Thats also in the plans, ideally i'd like to have a job, place, and roommate lined up, but I am really unsure of how to get ANY of those things, let alone coordinate them at the same time.

>>16492410
I'd love a government position, but at least from what I've seen on the really convoluted websites everything seems to be really specific jobs I doubt i'd be qualified for
>>
>>16492429
most likely you will find some entry position jobs in Washington
>>
>>16492366
>savings
You know that minimum wage =/= amount needed for survival, right? You may be able to live comforatbly with your svaings for the first couple of years, but then things will become tough
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.