[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I was put on a Performance Improvement Plan at my job today.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 1417826004658.jpg (63 KB, 718x960) Image search: [Google]
1417826004658.jpg
63 KB, 718x960
I was put on a Performance Improvement Plan at my job today. It hurts because I thought I was doing well and was praised for getting work done quickly but they put me on this one assignment which was already past a month deadline before it was handed off to me, and the work that needed to be done on it had stuff I wasn't familiar with using.

Next thing I know im assigned another project to complete by a deadline while still finishing up this first one. I managed to get the second project done by the deadline just to get it out of the way.

However I guess my performance was seen as so low that now this happened and I'm pretty shaken up.

I was given a total of tasks to do within this plan and my manager is going to sit down with my every week to see where I am, but does this guarantee that I'm going to be let go or can this be overcome and I can keep my job if I follow through?

I'm really scared.
>>
>>17279581
What's the job?
>>
what is your job?
>>
>>17279581
>does this guarantee that I'm going to be let go or can this be overcome and I can keep my job if I follow through?
If it were a guarantee that you were going to be let go, they wouldn't bother doing it at all: they'd just let you go. They'd save considerable money and time by doing so. That's the good news, OP: they don't want to fire you.

I have never been on a PIP, but there have been times in my life when I honestly should have been on one (for better reasons than why they're putting you on one, it sounds like). In an attempt to keep my job, I got into the habit of sending a daily status e-mail to my supervisor, explaining the tasks I was assigned to and what I was doing on them each day. I did it partly for accountability and partly for focus.

Assuming that you have access to work e-mail, you may find this tactic useful as well. Again it provides accountability, but in your case, it's for the opposite reason: I did it to force myself to do the work, while you'd be doing it to prove that you are doing the work. It creates a written record in their syatems of exactly what's going on. That could work distinctly to your advantage.
>>
>>17279587
I'm a technical/production artist for a company that makes slot machine games. My job is breaking out the assets from the games and putting them on our mobile and facebook app.

In short, I basically take the graphics and animations from the game's and make them look good on a mobile or facebook template and make sure it's playable.
>>
>>17279616
If they don't want to fire OP, why put them on a document that says "meet our expectations in 30 days or you're terminated"? Why not just have a performance review without that risk involved?
>>
>>17279648
So they have a justification for firing you and so that you can't collect unemployment. They essentially strong arm you into quitting. My old software job did this to me with a performance improvement plan that had an impossible to complete project. The scope of the project was large, the time frame was small, and at any point if I wasn't meeting my bosses expectations for any reason he could fire me on the spot. It's complete and total bullshit. I quit two days later. If I ever see my boss again I'm going to beat him within inches of his life. Thankfully he's on the other side of the country.

OP, don't stand for this bullshit unless you really really like your job because they want you gone.
>>
>>17279662
Our company gives severance packages though. Can they not give you unemployment if you're fired through a PIP process?
>>
>>17279581

OP, tell them you feel like you were set up to fail.
Talk to a lawyer about constructive dismissal.

I was recently on the shit-end of this kinda stick recently, and sent an email to the company HQ about it, that I knew what they were doing.

Suddenly I got let off with a 'warning' and the management doesn't come near me, the only exception to this was hearing back about my email, where the essentially tried to gaslight me saying that "The company would never do that, ignore the fact your GM basically told you he might, we would never do it, it's all in your head".

Be prepared to take legal action, send out formal complains (keep copies) and takes notes of everything.
The best way to get them to back the fuck off is to fight back and leave them feeling as though there job is threatened. File a grievance if you have to.

If there is anyone else in your department who isn't getting as many assignments, particularly ones so short-dated, then also claim discrimination.

Flat out fight back.
>>
Start looking for a new job bro
>>
>>17279700
I don't know, anon. My company gave you the middle finger and hearty "fuck you!" once you got fired.
>>
long time manager; first time poster:

This is standard procedure for professionally managed organizations these days.

Look, it is expensive as fuck to hire someone. You basically dont get any constructive work from them for the first 3 months and they eat up yur HR and supervisory time.

But... you have in front of you a plan with clear onjectives. If you meet those objectives, they wont fire you. If you don't, they will.

Now it is up to you. It is true that they likely have given up on you, but perform and you are fine.

Of course this may mean putting in extra hours...weekends and evenings, but thats that.

If you dont want to or cant meet the expectations, just walk through this and find another job now
>>
OP here. I should mention that our team was pretty short on people due to the amount of work split among us so we're all behind on deadlines. If anything we're still looking to hire more people. I just don't know why I was pulled aside to go on a PIP and if we're so swamped with work they would risk letting a member of the team go.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.