[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to check if someone is robbing you?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: credit_cards.top.jpg (207 KB, 475x307) Image search: [Google]
credit_cards.top.jpg
207 KB, 475x307
There was a suspicious guy who seemed like he wanted to rob me banging away at the door to the backyard the other day.

My "landlord" next door who attests he doesn't own the house said he wasn't aware of it. He was suspicious to me because he made no eye contact when I asked him "Are you here to fix the door?" He was around 6'0, white male, oblong face with light brown hair, light eyes, light frame glasses and kind of fat.

My question is, how do I check if someone has tried opening credit cards in my name or selling my identity?

Anybody here aware exactly of how this process is done?

(I've received a phishing text this morning so that's also suspicious)
>>
shameless bump
>>
>>17274742
>How to check if someone is robbing you?
Well, the simple way is to see if the person is uninvited but in your house taking your stuff.

>There was a suspicious guy who seemed like he wanted to rob me banging away at the door to the backyard the other day.
What reason did he give you for being in your backyard?

>how do I check if someone has tried opening credit cards in my name
Get a copy of your credit report. You'll get a list of who's made inquiries (checked your credit). If there are businesses or individuals there that you're not familiar with, follow up on those.

That way you write makes you seem paranoid. Not sure if you have mental issues or if your thinking is fucked up due to drug use.
>>
>>17274881
>What reason did he give you for being in your backyard?

The house owner was supposed to fix the back door a year ago, so I thought maybe he was the technician sent. I asked him if he was here to fix it and he said "yes," without making eye contact. He removed the lower planks. I had to fly shortly out of town but I hid my documents in my living space.

> Get a copy of your credit report.
Where is a good place to do this? Excuse my lack of financial competency.

> That way you write makes you seem paranoid. Not sure if you have mental issues or if your thinking is fucked up due to drug use.

I am paranoid. Coffee and alcohol only, Sir.
>>
>>17274912
>Where is a good place to [get credit report]?
I don't know where you live. If you live in the USA, you are entitled to receive a free credit report, and you can also place a fraud alert if you think there might be a problem.

>I am paranoid. Coffee and alcohol only, Sir.
Yeah ok. Consuming alcohol is drug use, and there is something abnormal about your thinking. Did you forget how to use google? Or you're one of those people who know about 4chan but not about search engines?

Try the search terms "fraud alert credit report". Here's a result relevant to being in the USA:

http://www.consumerfinance.gov/askcfpb/1375/i-may-have-been-victim-fraud-or-identity-theft-how-can-i-put-fraud-alert-my-credit-report.html

Were you intending to write in the OP that your landlord has no idea who this person is?

When you asked the guy who he was, why didn't you ask "Who are you and why are you pounding on my back door?" If you don't know who someone is, don't you think that's a better thing to say than "hey, I'm going to give you a convenient lie you can tell me".

Why the fuck wouldn't you ask for ID or check with your landlord before you LEAVE A COMPLETE STRANGER WITH UNSUPERVISED ACCESS TO YOUR HOME?
>>
>>17274968
Yes, I live in the US. Does checking your report lower the value of it like closing a bank account?

I've never done anything to build credit anyway.

> you can also place a fraud alert if you think there might be a problem

Thanks very much for this information and your link! You're an angel.

> Consuming alcohol is drug use, and there is something abnormal about your thinking. Did you forget how to use google? Or you're one of those people who know about 4chan but not about search engines?

Sorry, m8. I drink two or three times a year (without getting smashed) because my family pressures me into it. I've just haven't had weekends off for the last two years. No, I haven't forgotten how to Google, I'm here to receive the work others are willing to donate to me. And you've been a great help to my financially illiterate ass.
>>
>>17275067
> When you asked the guy who he was, why didn't you ask "Who are you and why are you pounding on my back door?" If you don't know who someone is, don't you think that's a better thing to say than "hey, I'm going to give you a convenient lie you can tell me".

>Why the fuck wouldn't you ask for ID or check with your landlord before you LEAVE A COMPLETE STRANGER WITH UNSUPERVISED ACCESS TO YOUR HOME?

I work to the point of confusion and the suspicious man left before I did. I alerted the landlord before I left the house but he also had to fly off that day so he couldn't supervise the property either.

Funny because I usually have a flashlight and a knife handy and I'm an aggressive cunt...but my adrenals ran out, I guess.
>>
>>17275067
>Does checking your report lower the value of it like closing a bank account?
Inquiries you make won't affect your credit score.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.