[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I recently found out all five of my female co workers who
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (34 KB, 384x384) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34 KB, 384x384
So I recently found out all five of my female co workers who all seem normal, attractive and some even have partners , all freely discuss that they take anti depressants and complain about having anxiety.

Is it wrong that I judge them for this ? I get anxiety too but I don't know, taking anti depressants at such young ages (18-25) just seems crazy and sometimes I think they should suck it up. My family judges people who are on "happy pills" and I feel this has rubbed off on me. Am I right to judge ?
>>
No. First of all, you know barely anything about them. One of them could be taking care of her dying mother every waking hour she's away from work, and you would be judging her for taking antidepressants because, uh, she has a boyfriend and is hot so what the fuck is your problem miss??
So that is the first issue. You have absolutely no idea of what their circumstances were growing up, how their health is (some - few - people sincerely have issues with their serotonin receptors and physically cannot be happy without help), and so on. Judging them is presumptuous because you are judging based on the little that you know of them.

Then there is also the antidepressants thing itself. I agree that way too many people take them, but that's an issue of our society and medical professionals. It's doctors and psychiatrists who hand them out like candy and are quick to suggest them as a fix. Is someone really to blame for trusting an expert who tells them that this is something they can try that helps a lot of people? If you are discouraged and down all the time, you'll also feel an obligation (to a partner, for example?) to "fix" your issues any way possible. Is it wrong to not feel like you're in the position to refuse medication then?

>tl;dr it's more complicated than it looks at surface level
>>
Different people have different problems that they all deal with differently. For you it might seem odd that they have to resort to anti depressants at their age, however to them it's normal, and if you ask me; 18-25 isn't really that young to have to take medication to aid you.
>>
>>17274488
This.
Also, some people suffer from severe anxiety or depression or whatever even if it isn't cause by difficult circumstances, and that's some of the hardest shit to deal with. When everything in your life is going well, from an outside perspective, but getting out of bed makes you want to cry anyway, that's a serious illness and medication can be a very effective way of treating that.

So yeah, don't judge because you aren't their doctor and you don't know what they're going through.
>>
I have to take antidepressants and I'm not even depressed. I was prescribed them for joint pain in my jaw and every time I objected I was told if I didn't take them there was nothing more they could do for me.

Ironically the pills started giving me serious anxiety so I've decided to just slowly come off them now and lie.

tl;dr stop being a cunt and making snap judgments about people. Western healthcare is shit at handling mental health issues and hands out pills like candy to compensate.
>>
>>17274475
No. Clinical depression is the lack or misallocation of chemicals in your brain, sometimes the only way to correct this is with medicine.

Go ahead, will your mind to produce more dopamine and serotonin. Maybe schizophrenics should get off their meds too, since they can just will their way out of a mental illness if they try really hard. While you're at it, since the mind is something that can be completely controlled with practice, become a world-renown astrophysicist with an IQ of 500.

Yeah. Very fallacious reasoning you have there. Like an above poster said, you don't know what they've been through. Not everybody has the luxury of being a ginger patch kid.
>>
Yes. Psychology is a booming industry and they've been suckered into permanently altering their personalities for a chance at pumping their brain with feel good chemicals for a short time

Pretty dumb desu. The more you learn about psychology the less it looks like legitimate science
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.