[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I deal with people interrupting me?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: photo.jpg.cf.jpg (14 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg.cf.jpg
14 KB, 400x400
My bf has the typical loudmouthed white mom that never shuts up. She will go on and on and barely lets anyone get a word in. Whenever she finally goes silent I start speaking, then the bitch looks at me and interrupts what I'm saying to drone on again. All I can do is just silently listen and Bertstare her, not that she notices. Bf admits it's a problem with her and occasionally interrupts her back to let me talk. Hell, bf's younger brother even does it too so I feel massively disrespected.

I have social anxiety so I don't speak up when needed, so whenever I do and she interrupts me it just crushes my confidence. There were times I had to keep repeating what I was gonna say and they keep talking over me and I just give up.

What is the socially acceptable way to get her and other people in general to stop? Do I have to actually interrupt her and say, "Excuse me, I was speaking" or is that just plain rude? I don't want to get bf's mom on my bad side, especially since she will be my future MIL.
>>
>>17273357
Just live as far away as possible from her and you won't have a problem.

If you can't avoid her, ignore her. You don't have to listen to a word she says.
>>
>>17273357

Accepting a relationship with your boyfriend means accepting a relationship with his mom.

Everyone has been or is with someone who has an irritating family member. Stop trying to talk to her, grin and smile, whip out your phone and start playing angry birds whenever she drones on, do whatever it is you have to do but you need to accept one thing; nothing you do will change her.

Accept it or find a different boyfriend. I dated a girl whose mom got drunk everyday and told me the same stories a million times. I smiled and sipped my wine and faked surprise because thats what you do in a relationship.

Stop taking it personally and just accept the annoying situation for what it is. I doubt she even realizes it. Do what you have to do to be there for your boyfriend and endure his yappy mother.
>>
>>17273373
>>17273376
Alright but what do I do for future encounters when other people interrupt me in a conversation? What's the proper protocol for this without coming off as too rude?
>>
>>17273388

>Alright but what do I do for future encounters when other people interrupt me in a conversation?

Turn around and find someone else to talk to. There's no point in trying to have a conversation with someone who isn't interested in have a conversation with you. You are not obligated to stand around and be some talky asshole's sounding board.

If they're someone important like a boss, potential client or a boyfriend's family member, grin and bare it, play nice and then go about your day.

That's all.
>>
>>17273403
Ok fair enough, I'll give it a shot. Thanks.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.