[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does one limit/quit vidya?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: 7b0.jpg (136 KB, 746x982) Image search: [Google]
7b0.jpg
136 KB, 746x982
Pic unrelated

So I'm a vidya addict.
I have a lot of real life goals but don't commit to them because I sit at my pc for 16 hours a day and then oversleep to wake up at 3PM and repeat the cycle. I've tried to cut down but I lack the will power. I;m just living in my comfort zone but I know that I don't want this kind of life. My life can merely be called life. I play the most cancerous vidya which are the biggest time eaters (LoL, Dota, CS, HS).
What do I do? I know the problem but don't act on it. Does anyone have any advice?

Red pill me, anons.
>>
>>17271837

motivation is sort of inherent. it comes within. the self help books about motivation sell well cuz everyone wants more motivation, but unlike books like 'the secret' you never really hear of one becoming so immensely popular.

motivation is intrinsic. unless it is external motivation. that motivation can come from needing to make sure your kids are taken care of, or pressure from your parents, or even the desire not to be whipped by your master.

so if you can't surrender control to a parent, friend, or roommate, then ur fucked.

im fortunate enough to have a baseline of motivation to build from. if you can find it in you, do it. its as simple as making a list of what you want to do, and taking the first step today.

my advice? only allow yourself to play story oriented games, the kind with endings. if you are playing and mmorpg like LoL (at least i think it is i dont know cuz i rarely play video games) then those eat up all of your time. theres no reason to ever stop. its just constant leveling up.

when i was younger i played runescape. i kept convincing myself the game would start to be fun when i got X skill level or Y new ability. but it was just the same thing over and over again. so i gave up and never really went back to mmorpgs.
>>
>>17271856
>making a list of what you want to do
I have done that many times, but it seems the motivation just vanishes in a few days.

I don't have anyone to push me so I have to do it myself. I just don't want to be that "money or women" motivated prick though. Though I get motivated when I think of or see women.
>>
>>17271892

good luck then man.
>>
>>17271837
I used to have the same issues like you.

But few months into college I found a group of friends that suited me well and one of the became my girlfriend.

I moved out of my parents' home so I can hang around with her all the time and have friends over whenever I want.

For the first few weeks we just messed around but she ended up being just what I needed and a much better person than I am. I started studying better and getting hobbies just to catch up with her and I grew in whole, I've become a better human being.

I never think about games anymore.
>>
>>17271949
Thing is I am in uni right now and I live away from my parents, but I still managed to create a comfort zone and be lazy af.
>>
>>17271837
>What do I do? I know the problem but don't act on it. Does anyone have any advice?

You don't put a crack addict in a crack house and expect them to stay clean.
Delete your games. Sell your consoles.

And grow the fuck up. Men don't play vidya.
>>
>>17271837
have you tried not being such a faggot?
>>
>>17271837
>lol dota
Those aren't games. Those are salt mines.
>>
>>17271949
I didn't play vidya when I had a gf, but started again when she left.
Also, I don't understand the college meme. I live on campus for a couple years, and I've literally made no friends or have even touched a girl despite having 9/10 looks.
>>17271837
You could change your attitude. Rather than giving up games completely, just play them 100% your free time, while still working and studying.
>>
>>17272618
I was just trying to trigger people.

I became a recluse on college and I never met anyone, especially a gf (still KHHV).
>>
i am addicted to video games too and i tried to cut it down in last 3 years and it didnt work my conclusion was\is to play them as long as they fulfill me until i find something more fulfilling you cant do anything by force
>>
>>17272638
what's a KHHV? I mean I know one of the Hs is hugless but why is "hugless" relevant? anyone can hug anyone at any moment? And what's the other H for?
>>
>>17272643
Kissless handless-holding virgin, maybe?
>>
>>17272662
Kissless handholdless virgin. How don't you guys know?
>>
Well my gaymen laptop cooked itself (just because you can render an active solar system doesn't mean you should) and at the same time my mom had car transmission troubles and I had to start saving for a new car so I've been using a potatotop and haven't played vidya seriously in a while. Tried to get back into it and honestly I don't have the patience for it anymore, I don't even know how I could play these things so much. I dunno how that helps you but I guess you can artificially create circumstances that force you to stop. To me it was like how people describe cutting junk food, it just loses it's taste once you find better things to do with your time.

TL;DR smash your consoles and get a new hobby.
>>
>>17271837
get rid of your gaming mouse/keyboard/computer/whatever.
Only use stuff that you can't play on.
>>
>>17272788
>smash

Don't smash; sell.
>>
I just kind of realised how fucking shit video games are.

I mean - this is going to come out as being pretentious - after I got into reading, writing, going out in nature, chilling with friends, getting into film, etc. it just appeared so shallow to me. I couldn't even force myself to finish a game these days, I derive no enjoyment from them as I'd prefer to be doing any of the above, or even just sitting with a coffee or something.

I guess I'd get into other hobbies, get outside more, avoid games where you need to log on daily for progression, etc. Start working out - getting tangible real life results is better running a sick game on mid in LoL.

I wouldn't say cut out gaming entirely, it can be a good social activity w/ friends (both online and off). Just cut it back slowly. Go for a walk when you wake up at 3 tomorrow, grab a coffee somewhere, read a book you think is cool, then hop on the PC, if you want.
>>
>>17271837
Look back on how many thousands of hours you've wasted, that time could have been spent doing something productive, you could have learned and become a master of ANYTHING.

If that doesn't make you full of anger and motivation to quit, I don't know what to tell you.
>>
>>17272810
Yeah, brah, just like, be yourself, dude. Just get some hobbies, brah, like dude, like, yeah brah.
>>
>>17272830
Motivation is funny. It starts the first week of a semester, and it ends right before the midterm.
>>
>>17272839
oh shit brah i can't wait to reply to this dude on adv w/ this dank new meme :)

i LOVE MillionDollarExtreme

you seen the new h3h3 vid????

it's POST-IRONIC

U WUDN'T GET IT
>>
Just sell or unistall all that shit because you can't control yourself yet
>>
File: image.png (884 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.png
884 KB, 750x1334
>>17272871
This hits close to home desu.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1449947370689.jpg (33 KB, 550x414) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1449947370689.jpg
33 KB, 550x414
Here's how it happened for me

>addicted to video games like you with the late nights and fucked up sleep schedule
>start to notice how they're just the same stories and objectives over and over
>buy some different games, but it's still the same shit
>single player games are extremely lonely and make me feel depressed
>online games aren't any better for me as I can't find the enthusiasm to make friends with people I can't even meet in person
>start to get some bad anxiety whenever I play anything
>whenever I get on my pc, I feel like my life is passing me by and I'm just running away/trying to escaping from my problems in real life
>after a year or two of this and a couple attempts to cut back on video games I finally decide to cut my TV and internet

Been two months since then, although I had already cut back to almost no time spent on gaming a month or two prior to cutting internet/TV. I've made attempts to start playing again, but I just don't have the patience or interest in it I once did. Spend most of my time reading books, now. Trying to take up drawing as a hobby, and studying math a little bit at a time to get myself back up to where I was before dropping out of college some years ago.

My interest gradually just faded out and with the worry of wasting my life away on something so meaningless bringing me more distress than comfort, I just called it quits with both games and television.

The only real advise I can give you is to stay persistent in your intent to cut back and accept that it may take you months or years to finally get over them.
>>
File: 1466210895365.jpg (55 KB, 517x768) Image search: [Google]
1466210895365.jpg
55 KB, 517x768
>>17273289
I'm this guy except I suffer from depression/anxiety and some other thing I cant diagnose I'm thinking antisocial disorder or something.

After 2 years of living on campus after being forced to go to college my depression and anxiety spiked+I started dumping horrendous amounts of time into games. I felt trapped just like in highschool and I ran into my safety net of games like I did ever since the 6th grade.

I only have about 20 games and they're mostly single-player the few that are multi-player I play to keep in touch with my 6 best friends from highschool.

I play games literally so I can assume the life of someone else and I enjoy it solely for that reason. I'm not encouraging escapism through video games just sharing why I think most people enjoy them.

Anyways I suggest disconnecting yourself and making time to do other things. It's what I did and so far it working wonders. That or just finding something else to focus on. Study something or travel a little. Open yourself up a little if you can.

I spend my time going to the gym with my friends, writing, studying web development and IT. I occasionally play a game or two but it's now a social thing to keep up with my friends.

Maybe I'm going a little crazy. Ahahaha.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.