[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone here meditate regularly? How has it effected you? I try
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 1466319954266.jpg (27 KB, 453x604) Image search: [Google]
1466319954266.jpg
27 KB, 453x604
Anyone here meditate regularly? How has it effected you? I try to meditate for 20m but around the 10m mark I find myself getting distracted, playing with my cat, checking my phone, etc.

How do I git gud
>>
>>17272301

what are you trying to achieve by meditating? traditionally its simply clearing your mind entirely to let a godly presence into you. but more recently it coudl literally be just a time you sit and think and no one cares. does it matter if you play with your cat at the ame time? i mean isnt quality time with the animal you adopted kind of more important then sitting aroudn thikning?

the closest i get to meditating is in the shower. no music, no tech, no lights. just me, fetal position, with hot water for a half hour. washing away the grime of the day helps me feel like im sleeping almost. it recharges me in ways that even sleep cannot. i just let my mind wander where it eneds to. its there for a reason, but the hot water stops me from being all anxious and overthinking
>>
>>17272301

As a practicing Buddhist with a lot of other beliefs (because strict dogma is shit) Buddha once said before he died, to follow your own path, to follow that which brings you peace, and that there is no one way to enlightenment.

In this matter, find what brings you peace. Meditation doesn't have to be the kind of thing practiced in temples and stupas by laymen and women. It can be simply what meshes with your heart and mind.

If you feel the want to improve, go for it. Meditation has no true form. Only you can find what makes you feel at peace and happy.
>>
>>17272301
I did when I was in the Army. If you want to get good pick up some books and read various techniques. I prefer to lay down to mediate. My favorite technique was focusing on passing "light" from one part to another after channeling it to my forehead. After a while you only feel the "energy" and not your body and feel like you are floating in the air as a ball of light.
>>
>>17272313
>what are you trying to achieve by meditating

To basically not get hungup by anxious/depressing thoughts in the rest of the day. To be calmer. I just focus on nothing but my breath. Read a book on Buddhism on years ago.

>>17272339
I've been sitting in the half-lotus. My foot/ankle hurts like a bitch when I'm done. I've tried to laydown before but I fall asleep.
>>
>>17272351

you are probably putting too much pressure on this to do much worse. while you lack the basic motivation, even if you just forced yourselfi dont think it would work. maybe tackle anxiety and derpession more directly
>>
>>17272351
It's ok to fall asleep.
>>
>>17272338

This is one of Buddha's most important teachings that I am aware of imo

Seek enlightenment by focusing all of your will into a profession or work of art and you'll project your inner self or something
>>
>>17272636
Capitalism/needing to eat and live prevents this.
>>
>>17272301
>but around the 10m mark I find myself getting distracted

From studying meditation and through my own experience, I've realized once you notice you become distracted just gently fall back to meditating. Every time you catch yourself drifting off and bringing yourself back to the present moment is actually harnessing that skill of living in the present. Just like with any other skill or hobby, the more you practice the better you get.

When I first started last year I was going to give up because I have terrible ADD but from practicing 10 minutes every morning I've completely transformed my mindset and how my thoughts would pull me into cycles of messy thoughts.

If it makes it easier you could also try guided meditations on YouTube.
>>
I listen to this when I meditate. It's intense, but it puts you where you need to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwV592ULRC8
>>
good books on this topic?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.