[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>25 years old >English degree, but managed to get a real
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: 1465626357114.jpg (1 MB, 2285x1714) Image search: [Google]
1465626357114.jpg
1 MB, 2285x1714
>25 years old
>English degree, but managed to get a real job with it
>1 year into job, getting promotion
>really badly want to move to Japan, but that would jeopardize building my career
>possibly, I could work remotely for the company I work for now, but I would be demoted to only part-time work for sure

Anyone have advice for me? I so badly want to move and live in Japan. I speak the language at an intermediate level. But at the same time, I'm building a career and moving up quickly at the company I work at since I work so hard.
>>
>>17271876

are there any career opportunities at all ofr you in japan?

why do you want to live there? i lived there for awile and its great dont get me wrong, but do you really want to live in japan or do you want to live in some idaelized version of japan you think about due to anime and movies and other shit.

have you ever even vacationed there for more then a few days? or at all?
>>
File: 1456376118353.jpg (2 MB, 3252x2154) Image search: [Google]
1456376118353.jpg
2 MB, 3252x2154
>>17271881
>have you ever even vacationed there for more then a few days? or at all?

Not at all yet. I suppose I should go on a trip there some time before I make any hasty decisions.

I don't have many friends, so even being alienated there as a foreigner wouldn't bother me, I don't really hang out with people often. I love their architecture and city design. I would feel so comfy walking through places that look like pic related after a long day of work. If I get a qt Japanese gf while I'm there, that would just be a bonus, don't really care if I end up alone. I enjoy my solitude, and Japan seems like the perfect country to be alone in.

As far as a job, I have an English degree, I'm sure I could get a teaching job no problem. They eat noodles and seafood so their food won't be a culture shock for me at all, I love that kind of stuff.
>>
>>17271899

>should vacation before i make hasty decisions

yes. and i dont mean exciting fun rush vacation, you should take an extended stay thats entirely casual there. see a little but get an actual living experience there

>i dont have many friends so wont feel alienated

no. stop. trust me, you do nto know hwat you are talking about. 'dont have many friends' and complete isolation cuz you cant truly understand anyone or anything is not remotely the same. i did guam, i did japan, i did cuba, i did peurto rico. and even with the support of the military community, its tough as fuck. no matter how well you think you practice that language on your home turn, its no where near understanding what its like to be surrounded by millions of people who speak it fluently. you are generalizing way too much.

>i would feel so comfy walking through places like pic related after a long day of work

you are looking at this like people look at having a long term relationship. its an imaginary feeling you are basing your idea off of. when people imagine settling down, marrying and coming home after wokr every day they are imagining a blur of feelings and ideas. not the actual fucking situation. dont get me wrong im the kind of guy who takes comfort in just walking around adn enjoying scenery or even a nice sky. but thinking you'll be fulfilled just going here after work every day is shit.

plus you can find godo atmosphere in america.

>maybe ill get a japanese wife
>but that i want one or anything

dont lie its your endgame, you're just saying that to put on a face man.

>i enjoy my solitude, so more solitude would be nice?

except for how every space is smaller, your squished in and you are unable to just have your regular conversatiosn when ordering your fucking food, sure. its not the same at all.
>>
>>17271899
>>17271922

im not saying you shouldnt move there. im not saying you shoudl give up. im just saying you need a reality check. i think its great to live overseas in just about any place.

living in okinawa was one of my favorite experiences and i think its great and i am a similar person to you.

however i knew i was coming home, i knew i had the support of an english speaking communiuty while there, and that is NOT what you are going to have if you up and move there.

keep exploring tihs. take a vacation there every year for a few years. make sure your second or third one is absoltuely casual. kind of a waste of money ,but experience regular fucking life there for as long as you can.

cuz its not as easy to come back as it is to get there.
>>
>>17271925
>>17271922

Thanks for the advice, and you're right, I should take a trip there. My work place is pretty strict about time off, so I'll try to plan a trip there for next year some time...
>>
>>17271876
What would you be doing in Japan?

I'm also an English major who got a decent job. After I socked away a comfortable six figure retirement fund, I set it to grow and started traveling the world. Had I done this at the start of my career, best case, I would still be a university level English teacher and research writer, but without the ability to turn down work whenever I want to, and no cushion whatsoever, relying on state pension, and always tied to a specific country.
>>
tl;dr
waitu piggu with yerrow fever wants to move to japan to fulfill his weaboo fantasies.
>>
File: 1466359835146.jpg (838 KB, 1920x1440) Image search: [Google]
1466359835146.jpg
838 KB, 1920x1440
>>17271876
>are there any career opportunities at all for you in japan?
ask yourself this a million times over and then actually go there, just for a trip, and communicate with people in the field for possible getting a job over there. My dad wanted the same thing you want, except he didn't bother looking up the work scene there prior to upping my mom, himself, and myself to live there. Our first 4 years of living there was pretty much in a tiny ass one room apartment while barely getting by. My mom always went nuts from culture shock too.

Moving halfway across the world is a bigger leap than just a city over, so please make sure you properly do this if you're really considering it.
>>
>>17271876
>I so badly want to move and live in Japan. I speak the language at an intermediate level
First things first, how do you define talking Japanese at an intermediate level? can you hold a conversation with a Japanese person? can you read and write Japanese? how did you learn the language?

Also do you know and understand the lifestyle in Japan? do you understand the social values, beliefs, family roles, literature, body language, biases, work ethic, gestures and expectations over there?

Have you ever been to Japan?

Most weeaboos think they want to live in Japan, but once they get there they can't handle it.
Do you even have a plan outlined for moving over to Japan?
>>
>>17271971
Who the fuck are you to criticize someone else's motivation?
>>
>>17272013

Japan is an objectively horrible place.

> Stifled culture
> Want to make money then become a salaryman
> Work 14 hours a day, not allowed to leave office until boss leaves
> Absurd amounts of racism and xenophobia
> You will NEVER be viewed as an equal. You will always be an outsider
> Letter of the law always wins over spirit of the law
> Most qt 3.14 girls will be deathly afraid of you but racistly curious
> Assuming you get a girlfriend her family will hate your fucking guts because you don't conform.
> You will always be fucking up everywhere you go culturally and people will stare and judge you all the time.
> Looks of disgust for eating in public
> Constantly feeling on edge and stressed to the max because you just can't fucking unwind in Japanese culture
> Jam fucking packed everywhere you go
> Tiny living quarters will make you feel like you can't even breathe.

It was the worst fucking experience of my life and I regret it. I now despise Japanese culture.
>>
>>17271876
>I don't have many friends, so even being alienated there as a foreigner wouldn't bother me
Look man, I'm gonna be blunt, you are clearly a weeb, one without any friends, it happens, weebs don't make friends at home, they start watching anime. You eventually start believing that you belong here, you identify more with your japanese culture. Now here is the thing, if you have no friends here, it won't make a difference when you move, you should work on fixing yourself wherever you are now before you even think of moving. You are thinking, I'm white, I like anime, vydia, they will surely accept me more there than here in. But no, you are probably gonna annoy the crap out of them if you go with these mentality.
>>
>>17271957
>>17271876
How'd you lads land a nice job? I'm studying Literature right now and it depresses the fuck out of me knowing my job prospects are garbage.
>>
>>17272035
I taught English in Japan for 2 years, my experience wasn't much better.
You ever come across the weird phenomenon where they blame everything on other countries?
>Japanese man didn't commit crime, he was actually Korean
>bad person was influenced by naughty Koreans
>no gang violence, naughty Chinese students
>bad person wasn't Japanese, parents are Korean/Chinese

I managed to sleep with a few Japanese girls, but I found that they only slept with me out of curiosity, they were Japan's equivalent of coal burners.

Still, the positive parts make good talking points.
>>
>>17272055
here found video related
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2FGgYp6mdk
>>
>>17271876
50 bucks says you've never even visited Japan before.
20 bucks says intermediate level = Genki 2
>>
>>17272058
Turns out you can teach English majors how to program, but STEMfags can't document their own shit in any way anyone else would understand. So, they hire professional writers who can program. In the 00s I designed integrated explosives detectors for airports. Got my English degree in the 90s. Retired in '11.
>>
File: images (9).jpg (16 KB, 405x291) Image search: [Google]
images (9).jpg
16 KB, 405x291
Gaijinfag here.

>>17271876
If you have a job with all benefits included then keep it and forget about Japan.

https://www.gooverseas.com/blog/salary-expectations-for-teaching-in-japan

The article doesn't mention what the companies that sponsor you will substract (pension fee, health insurance fee, taxes, etc). Some people are left with peanuts for the month. Others have to get a second or third job to keep up, also the work locations can be quite far and if you have jobs in different locations then these can also be far apart.

You should go read these blogs

Debito.org
locoinyokohama.com

There are others

>>17272035
There is racism here but not to the point where they will say shit in front of you or spit on you, etc like I keep hearing about expats living in China.

>>17272059
Yep they love blaming others and their crappy attitudes on foreigners or foreign influences. There are exceptions but they are very few, for instance

http://newsonjapan.com/html/newsdesk/article/115769.php
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.