[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Neet-like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: Japanese_Chin_5687974.jpg (22 KB, 370x277) Image search: [Google]
Japanese_Chin_5687974.jpg
22 KB, 370x277
Hey /adv/. I've lived in a developed country in Asia all my life. I live with my parents. I took a gap year and will starr my second year at uni this summet. My parents pay for all my expenses.

Recently, things have not been going well. My parents are not happy with me and they think of me as a lazy, unmotivated sack and they are right. I don't have much passions/hobbies except learning a European language that is not widely spoken in Asia at uni. I spend most of my time surfing the web each day. I got really awful grades at uni this semester. I do not have much friends at uni. I will soon be traveling and they are upset that I haven't started packing things yet. They see me as a passive, sad sack on my way to becoming a neet.

Any advice? (specific location names and details will not be provided as I don't want my peers who use 4chan to identify me here)
>>
I really wish I could help you, but the only solution I know is a shitty one.

I used to be in a very similar situation. Worse, even, because my parents straight up gave up at one point and stopped bringing it up, instead opting to show their disappointment in small passive ways. It got unbearable.

So I started faking it. Forcing myself to do this and that, pretending I liked it, and so on.

Fast forward two years and they're no longer ashamed to have me as their son, but I hate every single part of the giant lie I built up.
If you think sacrificing your own happiness for their sake is worth it, you can try it to. I wouldn't recommend it.
>>
>>17262731
It's not like I disagree with my parents. I know that they are right - that I am a lazy sack with no ambitions in life whatsoever. I want to change myself, but I don't know how.

After they get angry at me and I start taking action, they will say that I am faking it, and the truth is I tend to lose the motivation to improve myself a week later.
>>
>>17262777
Well, of course they are right. So were mine. But the thing with motivation and ambition is that getting them isn't as easy as they'd like, and that difficulty is hard to see for someone without the problem.

They say that the initial part of forcing yourself is the hard part, and that you're guaranteed to find something you want to do/achieve if you look hard enough. But I've spent two years forcing myself, while at the same time looking into every single fucking hobby I could think of, and nothing works. It's not even depression, though some people suggested it. I'm perfectly happy when alone, relaxing with a book or browsing the internet. But it's not the sort of happiness, not the sort of life people are expected to have. So it's not enough.

Anyway, the positive in it all is: Once you find a source of income and move out, it really doesn't fucking matter what you do in your free time. But without motivation, you'll need to learn to accept that any given job will be a tedious grind.
>>
>>17262816
Well my parents have suggested me moving out when they were talking amongst themselves. They said it will be the only way I will learn to grow up. This is not common in my country though - we ain't Americans.

They were talking amongst themselves and saod how a cousin of mines "grew up" in a similar manner - she studied something not very useful at a tertiary educational centre and she finally found a job at a very large company. My parents saif in the past, everyone was poor and just had to go to work whether they liked it or not and it's us kids with first world problems and maybe they are right.

By any chance are you a NEET or what? Where are from? Because you sound like someone who is a NEET.
>>
>>17262826
Not sure what gave you that impression. No, I'm not a NEET. I was, as I've mentioned, or almost at least - then, just to get everyone to get off my back, I found a job and moved out. Started studying again, too. I hate both my job and the major I took, but it's one that's guaranteed to get me good money, and nothing I'm actually interested in studying would land me a job, so...

Your parents are right, in a way. Necessity has a way of getting people's ass in gear right quick. Wouldn't really call it growing up, though.
>>
>>17262857
What is your job? What is your major? Do you truly have no passion in life?
>>
>>17262884
Currently? Customer support, the job everyone hates. But it's the best I could find, and pays the bills. I also do a side stint as a math tutor.
I'm studying Mechanical Engineering. I exaggerated a bit, I don't exactly hate it with a burning passion - I just have no actual interest in the subject, and it's grating after a while. I do well at it, though. Guess it's not about passion after all.

And yes, that's pretty much it, or it certainly feels like it. I've looked into many hobbies and potential careers in the last two years, and nothing made me actually care in the least, not for longer than a month. I'm only really content when indulging in a bit of escapism. I only bother with social interactions because I have to.
>>
>>17262914
What? ZERO hobbies? At least I enjoy learning a new language? Nothing at all?
>>
>>17262925
Well, no. As I said, escapism keeps me content. Books. Games. Movies. That sort of thing. No productive hobbies though, no - I've tried learning many instruments, and got bored incredibly fast. I've tried drawing, painting, even sculpting for a bit, and found it all unbearably dull. I've tried sports and general outdoor activities, and... well, not for me, I'm not a very active person.

I mean, don't misunderstand me. I'm not saying this is good. I really wish I had something I cared about, that I enjoyed doing and actually had some meaning beyond time-wasting.

But if there's a thing out there that's for me, I haven't found it yet. And I've been looking for literal years.
>>
>>17262936
Objectively speaking, your situation is worse than mines then.
And since you have no interests anyway, why not find a job that pays the most?
>>
>>17263000
Well, I have. It's hard to find a well-paying job without requisite education, which is why I'm studying engineering - no telling if I'll actually get a job once I finish studying, but prospects are good, and the pay is really solid.

As for the current one, well, the support job and tutoring as side thing were pretty much the best I could get at the moment, at least in my current city - I live where I study, and the overabundance of students means openings get snatched up really fast.
>>
Bump
Any other anons?
>>
>>17263464
All I can say is that I'm also in a similar but worse situation than you. Bumping, but have no advice.
>>
Are you socially active?
>>
>developed country in Asia

That only leaves Japan
>>
>>17264057
What about Israel, south Korea, Brunei...
>>
Receive money from parents? My advice is to keep them happy.

Paren't PMS'ing about not starting to pack before making a trip? Ignore them completely - or actually as you receive the money just try to keep them happy.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.