[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which mac for WebDev?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: $_86.jpg (55 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
$_86.jpg
55 KB, 1024x768
Hey, so first off - I've never owned a mac. I haven't even used a laptop for quite some time. I have a decent PC and I just need something that I could work on when I'm travelling.

I'm not a heavy user, it will probably run brackets/sublime and chrome with some music player at it peaks so I don't need a performance beast, however I would like it to last me for another year or two, still being buttery smooth.

I wanted to get myself a ThinkPad but they are harder to get used so I'm leaning towards something like 13 inch MacBook Air/Pro.

Just tell me if Air is gonna be enough if I want a smooth OS X for another 1-2 years and to work with it comfortably for an hour or two from time to time. Resolution might be an important factor too, I currently have one 2k and one 1080p monitor and I can't even imagine working without them at the moment, therefeore is 1080p macbook going to be sufficient ? Or I need a step up in resolution ?
>>
>>17260804
I chose the 13" Air. The Pro is too heavy and the battery is drained faster.
Personally, I went for an upgraded Air. Better CPU and more RAM. That's mostly so it'll last for a few more years, though.
Resolution was never really an issue, for me.
>>
>>17260804
Yes the 13 air is ok, did webdev on it for a couple months before switching to an iMac. The screen is kinda shitty cause it's a TN panel and it has bad viewing angle.
The 13 macbook pro retina is good too and the screen is godly. Don't even consider the non-retina one.

In both cases just don't jew out on the SSD, don't get the 128GB, 256GB ones are way faster.
>>
I really really don't recommend a macbook of any kind if you are:

a) going to code on it
and
b) going to UPLOAD the code you have on it from a mac to elsewhere.

I am not saying it's impossible, but in the case of the tech companies that allow you to do this, they practically give you a mac designated station fitted for this purpose precisely because it's such a pita.

>work on it comfortably for an hour or two
This is going to be impossible on any laptop, just so you know. The most you can do is probably a bit of review and syntax editing. You won't be able to code-code or any heavy refactoring kind of stuff.
>>
>>17260854
> going to code on it
> going to UPLOAD the code you have on it from a mac to elsewhere
All right, you lost me. Why would ANY of these be an issue? Been doing it for a year and a half, by now, and have never had any issues.
>>
>>17260854
Uneducated windows monkey spotted
>going to code on it
Use fucking atom or sublime text
>going to UPLOAD the code
I guess you mean deploy, just push it to a git repo and/or deploy via ftp
You really only need 4-5 tools to do everything
>>
also would like suggestions for webdev and iOS app development.

Air seems to be the main choice.
>>
>>17260804
Web dev? You'd be fine with a Pentium 4 from 10 years ago. It's really not that demanding, assuming you're not doing anything stupid.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.