[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm pretty liberal, and I've read a lot of articles
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: image.png (6 KB, 410x171) Image search: [Google]
image.png
6 KB, 410x171
I'm pretty liberal, and I've read a lot of articles about the dangers of the echo chamber and stuff, so I decided to follow my Facebook friends who were more conservative in order to expose myself to different views and be a better person. Unfortunately I've found that so much of what they say is wrong and it's making me question being friends with them (and I know some of them IRL!) Should I take it upon myself to engage them more and correct their thinking or should I just stop following them? Maybe unfriendly them? Report them?
>>
>>17260451
kill yourself.
>>
>>17260459
That's a little harsh.
>>
>>17260451
You are confusing two separate issues.

1. It is legitimate to seek out friends for what they can teach you about life, and then to decide for yourself how "true" or useful their beliefs are.

2. It is also legitimate to remain friends with people you disagree with on key topics, because the other good qualities of the friendship outweigh that one disagreement.

Indeed, one could argue that friends with whom you disagree are as valuable as those who think the same as you, since they help you refine and clarify your own beliefs.

Only if their beliefs are so very offensive to you that you can't look past them to the rest of the friendship is it appropriate to consider dropping them.
>>
>>17260451
If they are unwilling to change their positions when presented with undeniable evidence then you shouldn't be friends, not because they disagree with you or hold views you find unpleasant but because that kind of stubborn attitude and arrogance will become a problem in other areas
This assumes they are actually wrong though, either of you could have a blind spot and discussion is the only way to find this out
I've completely changed my positions on multiple issues over the last 5 years, don't be afraid of being wrong, look forward to it
>>
>>17260608
How do I know if I'm wrong? Do I have to be faced with unassailable logic? Undeniable appeals to emotion? So long as I can see flaws in their reasoning, may I hold to my beliefs or is it wrong to pick apart their arguments? How much scrutiny should an argument be able to withstand?
>>
>>17260451
>Should I take it upon myself to engage them more and correct their thinking or should I just stop following them?

This has got to be bait. If not, then sure go ahead all mighty one. Enlighten us with your absolute knowledge.
>>
One of my friends turned into a massive alt-right fanatic practically overnight. It hurt me because he went from being my closest buddy to someone who was always trying to bait me and constantly shitposting in closed fb groups because Lauren Southern paid him a bit of attention.

Last time I saw him I went out for lunch with his "new friends". One of them spent the entire time telling me about how Muslims are genetically more prone to violence than his people, and another bragging about how magic mushrooms affirmed his faith in jesus, something that "filthy leftists" never could understand.

I haven't spoken to him since. Sometimes letting go hurts less than keeping in contact with idiots.
>>
Always remember:

"I may disagree with what you're saying, but i'll fight to the death to defend your right to say it."
>>
>>17260451
>Report them?
for what? disagreeing with you. this is always the liberal response. if you don't think as I do you should be eliminated.
>>
>>17260745
You should take a stand against hate speech.
>>
File: m_toranpu-01.jpg (16 KB, 350x232) Image search: [Google]
m_toranpu-01.jpg
16 KB, 350x232
Trump President

Conscription would be resurrected.

He loves war! He said "Black is NOT a person".
>>
>>17260451
>(and i know some of them IRL!)
I cringed. This has to be bait.
>>
>>17260835
What's wrong with knowing people in real life and on facebook?
>>
>>17260451

live and let live.
>>
>>17260960
Considering the majority of them are not you friends in real life and that you didn't know anything about their opinions before this little investigation, i'd say they are not your friends.
I'd say you care too much about facebook and the way you write sounds like a retard or bait. I give you the benefit of the doubt and think this is bait.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.