[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Post-op gastric bypass problems
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: dreams.jpg (16 KB, 340x255) Image search: [Google]
dreams.jpg
16 KB, 340x255
I took this to /adv/ because I really don't have a lot of other places to go. Hopefully there are other anons out there who have had a gastric bypass or similar bariatric procedure who have some insight or tips!

Basically I am 2 months out of surgery and I am not losing anymore. I try to get my daily 60-80 g of protein, I walk and walk and walk and jog and work out 300+ mins a week and I eat around 600 kcals a day which is as much as I am able to at this point after surgery.

Im so disillusioned, disappointed, exhausted. I have a fairly active job where I sit still for maybe 1 out of 7,5 hours, the rest I spend walking/moving around. I am at my wits end and I dont know what to say to my doctor about this issue - my weight has stood still for over a month now. Do I make him check me for thyroid issues, PCOS? insulin?

Any experience from anyone is greatly appreciated- or if anyone wants a GB buddy - I would love one.
I just want to reach that healthy weight and be successful so badly.

Help is greatly appreciated!
>>
anyone? ;_;
>>
Hey OP

Think of your body as an engine. Bigger, stronger engines require more fuel to operate. If you're able to maintain weight by eating so little that means your engine isn't very powerful.

I used to weight 184 pounds but lost 40 by just running one hour everyday, and doing weight lifting every two days. You might not like the idea of gaining weight by putting on muscle, but strong people burn fuel fast. Michael phelps eats a whole frigging pizza just as a meal, that's because his body needs a lot of energy.

Try increasing your intensity, or incorporate weight lifting on top of what you're current doing if you haven't already.

If you're so desperate to lose weigh by going through surgery...you could aways try the hollywood diet; by puking the meals you eat.
>>
>>17258658
>Do I make him check me for thyroid issues, PCOS? insulin?
Sounds like a good place to start. Just make an appointment and tell him what you told us.
>>
>>17258658
calories in= what you eat
calories out= exercise

lose weight eat less get more exercise. There is no other way around it despite what almost everything will tell you.
>>
>>17258793
Thats true but you're also ignoring metabolism. That's why men lose weight easier than women.
>>
>>17258795

>ignoring metabolism.

see >>17258781

There are ways to improve your metabolism....such as exercise...
>>
>>17258781
Congratulations on missing the entire point of everything OP said yet still managing to fit in the world's least impressive humblebrag whilst trying to make the whole thing about you.

kys
>>
Find yourself a nutritionist and a personal trainer.
>>
>>17258795
This is exacle what i mean. Metabolism mean little to nothing. Every overweight person thinks they just have a slow metabolism.

Get your BMI (body mass index) and count calories.

eat 3000 calories of food, work out only 2000 calories and you will gain weight. Its cold hard math.
>>
>>17258800

Nice dubs.

I'm just telling my weight loss story, I had the same fucking problem. I was overweight and i was skipping lunches and having very small breakfasts, i was skinny fat (stick limbs, fat gut)

Not sure what you think the OP's real point was, that losing weight is impossible for him?

No, its not. You have to do the right things to lose weight, burning calories and eating less isn't enough, you need to build a hungrier system
>>
>>17258813
OP here.

I am fully aware of how calories in/out etc works, my gastric bypass surgery was the last resort after years of struggling to lose weight. I also had a hiatal hernia that they fixed, thank god, so Im no longer in general pain.

The point that you and a couple of others ignore a bit here is that my entire ability to take up calories from food is greatly reduced due to both the fact that my stomach pouch only holds a cup or less of food, and parts of my intestine has been removed to decrease overall calorie intake. I should not be able to maintain/not lose weight from the amount of calories I am eating at the moment. I log all of my food and drink and I vary between having 4-700 calories max per day.

After GB it is also important to get as much protein as possible to prevent problems like hair loss and the more obvious loss of muscle mass etc - therefore I have to always get my proteins first and since fat and sugar in even small to "normal" amounts cause dumping syndrome this is something I avoid almost entirely (as much as fat is possible to avoid in a healthy protein rich diet). In other words I am eating extremely lean and I have not experienced dumping yet which is rare for most people.

I lost 25 kg prior to surgery, but eventually stalled and stood still for 2 years + before deciding to go through with it. I am simply asking if anyone has any input who also happens to have experience with the surgery or knowledge on bariatric post op issues. General diet tips are ofc nice of you guys but is really not what I need/am looking for - my experience and knowledge of nutrients, macros, etc should be more or less on point.
>>
>>17258781
As I stated, the reason for my low intake is weight loss surgery (gastric bypass), not because "my engine isnt powerful". I have had 90% of my stomach pouch removed surgically, I eat as much as I can given the size I am left with.

>>17258791
Thank you, it looks like these might be what I am left with for now - there really is nothing left that makes sense. I should add that I have lost a couple of inches over this month, but nothing comparable to what it should be.
>>
>>17258888
ok thanks for clarifying.

The only thing i can add is a friend of mine who is a woman in her 60's had the same thing you had done, plus stomach stapling.

After it was done she stayed on protein shakes for about 3 months with only unprocessed foods every now and again like salads or meats. She said she was having trouble digesting much else and she really felt like she lost a chunck of her digestive tract. But again she was a 60+ old lady so not sure if this applies.
>>
>>17258909
I was on a liquid diet for the first 4 weeks, then mashed and soft foods and the past month I have slowly incorporated regular foods. I agree with her that salads and "softer" proteins like boiled eggs and chicken meat is easier to digest than fibrous foods like broccoli, steak etc. but I have been very active since the first week after surgery (I went back to work after 5 days) and have pushed myself to try to eat new items every week to recover asap.

I still need to drink lowcarb protein shakes more or less daily to meet my protein goals, and I assume and have accepted that I will continue to do this for the next few months. I just want to be able to keep a healthy diet and see some actual results - and I am worried something might be off/wrong : s
>>
>>17258904

>As I stated, the reason for my low intake is weight loss surgery (gastric bypass), not because "my engine isnt powerful".

I think you completely missed the point, like fully.

What you said, is that you have a hard time losing weight AFTER surgery. So by eating very little food, you still can't lose wait, correct?

That's exactly the point I'm making, your engine is weak.

If you can survive eating only 600 calories a day, it means your body is weak.

There's a reason why people like the rock can eat 6000 calories a eat and not get fat, whereas people like you eat only 600 and maintain their weight. The rock needs to feet his muscles, you have literally nothing to feed, you're just fat, blood and bone.

If you build muscle, you will start losing weight more easily regardless of what you eat.

Gastric bypass doesn't solve the inherent problem that you have, which is having an extremely weak body.
>>
>>17258946
Oh lord. You are really starting to grasp at straws here. I can safely say I am not stuck in a "weak body" because of my low intake nor based on how I generally function. Im starting to wonder if youre just trolling, but Im disregarding you and your posts that are based around some weird assumptions youve concocted that Im not working out - I have already explained that I am both working out and eating the way I should. I follow a full body strength program, do my cardio as well as get all the protein I need to maintain as high a level of muscle as possible and I generally lift heavier than the people I regularly attend the gym with. Either way, you clearly have no knowledge of either GB or any medical advice of value so I think its time to lay it to rest. The conclusion is I will see my doctor about the PCOS/thyroid/blood tests and you can go back to mirin yourself with the other broscientists over at /fit/.
>>
>>17259006

I'm not trolling, all I'm saying is you need to increase your training intensity.

300 minutes a week is literally nothing....you need to double that at a bare minimum.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.