[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I agreed to try therapy and I can't back out of it now.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2
File: 1392486106765.jpg (70 KB, 283x276) Image search: [Google]
1392486106765.jpg
70 KB, 283x276
I agreed to try therapy and I can't back out of it now. First appointment is in about a week. What should I expect? They don't make you report a crime if something happened to you, right? They can only have you put in a loony bin if you're going to kill yourself or someone else, right?
I'm scared.
>>
>>17257098
>What should I expect?
For the first appointment? A lot of questions, but not a lot of answers,

>They don't make you report a crime if something happened to you, right?
No; they may urge you to do so. but can't actually MAKE you do it.

Also, depending on your age and the nature of what was done to you, they MIGHT be required by law to report it themselves. That typically only happens if you're under 18 and are currently being abused.

>They can only have you put in a loony bin if you're going to kill yourself or someone else, right?
It's not limited to killing, but you're right that you do have to pose a serious, immediate threat to yourself or someone else before they can have you committed.
>>
>>17257098
Believe it or not, the therapist wants to help you make it in the real world. Putting you in jail or a loony bin would go against all their goals.

They'll start by asking you why you're there and what you want from them. They'll ask questions just to help you express (and maybe even see) your problems more clearly. They might give you a homework assignment, along the lines of making a list of the 5 things that bug you most about yourself and the 5 that you consider your best traits.

That's enough for a first session. Others will pick up on something you said or listed and guide you to think more about them until you begin to see a way out of the problem. (The general rule is that helping you figure something out for yourself is better than telling you what they havefigured out about you.)
>>
>>17257098
Unless you get a nutter or someone just in it for the money, you should actually end up with someone who gives a shit, and other than asking some mandated questions, will do what they are able to help you relax and open up.

Just be honest. There shouldn't be anything you could tell them that would land you in a loony bin unless you are (or have been) violent.
>>
>>17257098
First appointment is going to be a rundown of why you're seeing the psych. The psych will ask you questions and try to assess what they need to tackle with you. If you don't like the psychiatrist, you can find another one no problem.

You don't have to tell your psychiatrist anything you don't want to. I talk to mine about stupid shit all the time. The only time you'll get committed is if you're a legitimate danger to yourself or someone else, I.e. you saying you want to murder someone or that you're going to kill yourself.

Relax, they're trying to help you. They're not you're enemy. They want you to get better just as much as you do.
>>
File: Remover of Obstacles.jpg (78 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
Remover of Obstacles.jpg
78 KB, 500x375
You're still in the driver's seat.

You aren't under oath. You don't have to answer any questions you don't want to answer.

You're not going to be dragged off to the "looney bin."

This will be a positive experience that will help you get your life back on track. You will be healthier and happier and more like yourself once you begin treatment.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.