[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
empathy hurts
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: iph3.jpg (970 KB, 1040x1526) Image search: [Google]
iph3.jpg
970 KB, 1040x1526
/adv/, I'm so sad. There's nothing wrong with my life, in fact it's always getting better. What upsets me is the disparity between my life and the lives of so many around the world. Usually, I can... ignore it, basically, and concentrate on the good things. But this shooting in Orlando has really weighed me down since I heard about it.

I'm sad for all the victims, for the gay community, for Americans, for the shooter, and for the extremists who allegedly orchestrated the attack. I'm sad that they can't live in a safe world.

I know it's useless to worry about things I have no control over. But I can't stop this deep, painful grief I have for anyone who suffers from a lack of things I take for granted every day. Safety, shelter, food, water, freedom of speech, love, intimacy. I think everyone deserves these things, just because they're alive. I hope that someday we can share these rights universally.

Am I alone, /adv/? Do you think we can achieve a better world someday?
>>
In all honesty, I don't think a good world is achievable for us and we endlessly show reasons why this world will never be good.
>>
>>17250385
It depends what you mean a better world. The Islamic extremists are rejoicing because what they view as a better world was that attack. They are working toward that goal. I personally think human nature is about being above other never being equal, that's why people evolved. If your looking for a utopia it depends on what you view to be right. Hitler was trying to get his better word. Mussolini was trying to get to his better world. Obama is trying to get to his better world. You do have some control over making your better world. It just depends how far you are willing to sacrifice your own happiness.
>>
File: but-wait.png (134 KB, 525x353) Image search: [Google]
but-wait.png
134 KB, 525x353
>>17250385
>I'm sad for all the victims, for the gay community, for Americans, for the shooter, and for the extremists

??? What does this feel like? I legitimately don't feel this feel.
>>
>>17250470
It feels awful. I even cry when things like this happen. It's heartache.
>>
>>17250489
Browse 4chan more. You'll feel your empathy slowly slipping away.
I'm about at that point. I have comfortable levels of empathy, not too much.
>>
>>17250496
I've been browsing 4chan for years. It hasn't had an effect on my level of empathy.
>>
Each one of us is actually a horrible individual for not feeling absolutely mortified at the disparity between us and those who lead miserable lives. Sadly, if you wish to live a normal life in this society you need to succumb to escapism and become a disgusting person, so that you can wake up the next day and go to work, only to help maintain the system that makes your comfort come at the price of other people's lives.
>>
File: CowHug.jpg (113 KB, 900x886) Image search: [Google]
CowHug.jpg
113 KB, 900x886
>>17250385
OP, just look at you image. You need to scale down!

A better world starts with yourself. If you can make just one person happy then you made a difference.
>>
I feel bad for animals more than people. When my dog dies (he's getting old for his bread) I'm going to be very sad. Still sad about my black lab dying.
>>
>>17250700
That's why I attached that image. I've seen my fair share of the world visiting some 30 countries. And its extremes. The bad bits haunted my mind and I needed to let go. The world is just too large and any emotion and energy put into it can drain you quickly. It's like poring a cup of boiling hot water into a cold bath.

Don't dismiss your empathy but focus it on thing you can influence.
>>
>>17250804
How did you get ego-centered and so full of hate?
>>
>>17250385
>Am I alone, /adv/? Do you think we can achieve a better world someday?
I hope so. Do the first step by living your own principles an influencing your own small social circle this way. If everyone did this, the world would gradually be a better place .
>>
Be careful people in your real life do not take advantage of your empathy and abuse you.
>>
>>17250890
This please OP. You seem to a have a genuine heart. Please be careful around people near you.
>>
>>17251007
>>17250890
Thank you, I will.

>>17250720
>>17250694
Thank you, I'm trying to do that. It's just hard sometimes.
>>
>>17250385
I'm the opposite OP. I think empathy is awesome.

Maybe empathy bothers you because you feel helpless to do something about it. You don't have to dedicate your life to helping others, but you can make a difference. you are not powerless. Just help one person a day.
When you feel that empathy, act on it.
It doesn't feel bad, when you do. It feels bad when you don't.
>>
>>17250385
>Do you think we can achieve a better world someday?
no. unless something completely out of left field happens, we are set on our course. too many people are profiting from the way things are, and they will use their wealth to ensure the continuation of the cycle. i just try to enjoy the ride as best i can.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.