[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
GED
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: maxresdefault.jpg (56 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
56 KB, 1280x720
What are the best resources I can use for learning the material on the GED? Especially math. I am horrible at math, can't barely calculate in my head, but I don't want to give up. I don't want to fucking die without atleast trying.

Today I was holding my father's magnum to my temple, and it occurred to me... I am a failure, but I haven't ever tried to be anything else. SO here I am, /adv/, I'm at your mercy. Help me become an educated member of society.

Ah pic related... The answer's D, right?
>>
Pay for a tutor, somebody who will be patient with you.

And no, you're only potentially a failure at math, that doesn't mean you aren't a useful person with value.
>>
hey man, i took the TASC about 2 years ago; it's the new high school equivalency test in a lot of states. so at that time it was really new, there were no books out to study the test, so i had to use the GED books. i passed with a very high score even though prior to the test i had very little knowledge of maths. oh and the difference between GED and TASC is i think the TASC test is more inclined towards Common Core or some shit like that.

let me tell you what helped me get the most out of the test, it was by doing the practice tests in the GED books over and over and over again. This is important: when you start to notice a pattern of wrong answers, it's time you learn about that subject in particular. so you can...

1.) reference the GED book you're using. oh, if you're looking for a GED book. get the barrons GED book, and you probably don't have to spend a dime for it. i know local libraries stock GED books in some section.

2.) khan academy esp. for math, just type the wrong answer question topic and you should be able to find a video on it. https://www.khanacademy.org/library

there's also another math video website, which is kinda annoying to watch, but helpful nonetheless: http://www.yaymath.org/#!video/c66t covers almost every important high school math topic

3.) just keep doing practice tests, even the ones you've done before. approach it like you're seeing it for the first time again, and really talk to yourself every step of the question to the right answer.

you take as much time as you need to prepare. don't let the fact that you suck at math stop you from getting your GED. i dropped out of high school after freshman year, and i was more than terrible at math for most of my school life. for this test, you don't have to become a genius, trust me on this.
>>
>>17247432
>product of 12 and 2
>>14
>increased by 6
>>14+6
>is
>>14+6=20
>>
>>17247755
>product is addition

Did you actually go to school?
>>
>>17247755
>product of 12 and 2
>14
Plz be troll
>>
>>17247432
don't stress about the math portion, there's only 6 questions that you can't use a calculator for and they're at the start and just basic addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. you only need to learn up to algebra 1 and can stop once you've got slope/equation of a line
>>
File: index.jpg (6 KB, 220x277) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
6 KB, 220x277
>>17247755
are you fucking gay m8
>product of 12 and 2
>increased by 6
24+6= 30

okay OP you need a good maths book. I recommend Merrill Algebra One

pic related
>>
>>17249079
The question is actually asking for the product of 12 and (2 increased by 6)
So the answer would be 96- little known english rule
>>
>>17249036
>You only need to learn up to Algebra 1
Okay.
So I use Khan Academy and just work my way up to Algebra 1? Everything in between?
>>
>>17249240
You should look into some british maths textbooks. Look up 'CGP GCSE Maths' and read it thoroughly and practice every exercise. It has pretty much all the maths you'd need to get a GED I think.

Khanacademy will help you very much too, go through the arithmetic, early math, geometry sections in full, and then do algebra until algebra 1

good luck man, maths is hard at first but once you build up that intuition it can even be enjoyable.
>>
>>17249719
I've always had problems doing shit in my head. Then again the school I went to just was horrible. I don't even know my multiplication tables. Can't barely calculate in my head. I'll give it a shot though. It's better than taking a shot at my head. heh.

Man fuck
>Go to special math class
>Teacher doesn't pay attention to my needs, tries the usual teaching method
>Gets mad and screams at me when I don't understand
Fucking whore.
>>
>>17247432
Don't shoot yourself in the temple, you might live, and you'll be super disabled. You need to get the brain stem to make sure you die, so the mouth isn't a bad option.
>>
>>17249237
There's a specific way of wording mathematical parentheticals in equations as sentences. The Oxford comma does not apply to this.
>>
>>17251186
Does it involve slapping yourself and telling yourself it's a bad idea?
>>
Buy maths textbooks and do the questions until you get it. It's all a matter of practice. If you're absolutely shithouse, get a tutor. A math major will probably tutor you for cheap.
>>
I'd buy the Manhattan Review books for the GRE. They cover all the basic math one should know from HS in a very good way.
>>
>>17247755

Wew, lad.
>>
>>17247432

I got a high school diploma from ICS. It hasn't failed me yet. I got into college with it (Eastern College). Dunno if the U.S has something equivalent. The reason I went that route is because GED would have required a hop, skip, and a jump to get to the testing place.
>>
>>17249780
Try immersing yourself in a maths environment. Hang up posters in your most frequently travelled areas in the home. My school had times table posters hung up in corridors, I used to read them when waiting for classes to start

Don't give up though. Like I said, maths will be extremely hard to get the hang of the basics properly but once you do, which can take months (i mean, from when I was 5 till when I learned my math basics properly, it was about 10 years) you will begin to enjoy it and feel more confident in your learning
>>
File: unrele10.jpg (42 KB, 538x434) Image search: [Google]
unrele10.jpg
42 KB, 538x434
>>17247432
>killing yourself over math

Anyways, just get a whiteboard and write that shit out. It got me through a degree in math.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.