[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys, I have Psychosis NOS (similar to schizophrenia but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: voices.jpg (1 MB, 941x935) Image search: [Google]
voices.jpg
1 MB, 941x935
Hey guys,

I have Psychosis NOS (similar to schizophrenia but missing one or more key elements necessary for that diagnosis). I'm on anti-psychotics and they help me a lot, but lately I haven't been taking them.

The reason I haven't taken them is because I've gotten more and more ashamed of having a mental illness, and don't want to do anything that would acknowledge my illness. Funny enough, another part of me believes (or maybe wants to believe) that I'm not really sick. Both these beliefs are compiling and making it really hard for me to take my meds.

I know from a logical point of view this makes no sense, that I shouldn't be ashamed, and, from my extensive history, I definitely DO have an illness, but I just can't get it out of my head.

I've talked to my therapist about it and she tries to help but just can't seem to change my viewpoint.

So, any advice?
>>
You don't seem psychotic to me. You seem to coherent and logical right now. When I was going through psychosis I was running through the forests at night barefoot with police helicopters cashing after me babbling about demons to myself before they hauled me off to the looney bin for 6 months, there was no time to be sitting down and talking to /adv/ like this.

So please pardon me if you went through something similar, but psychosis doesn't last and is just a temporary lapse. This happened over 3 years ago and I have been off meds for nearly as long. So maybe your psychotic episode is simply over dude.
>>
>>17249588

I've had several relapses over the last few years, so it's not exactly temporary, I also have intermittent symptoms still even with meds. Everyone is different.
>>
>>17249576
Part of having a mental illness is not being aware there's something wrong with you.

Are the voices gone, OP?

Best case scenario, it was a brief psychosis and it won't return.
>>
>>17249603
Do you get manic when it happens? because it sounds like mania to me. Also you should generally taper from anti-psychotics dude, because they can give you rebound psychosis.
>>
>>17249606
That's a part of some illnesses, not all. It's true that can happen with psychosis NOS but not everyone has that symptom. I still have the occasional voice and visual hallucination but have had several relapses over the last few years since I developed this.
>>
>>17249608
Do you mind if I ask what part sounds like mania? And to answer your question I have never had a manic episode.
>>
>>17249613
Just that you seemingly have episodes of psychosis, which to many people who have episodes of mania it comes with psychosis.
>>
>>17249622
I believe everyone with a psychotic disorder has episodes where it gets really bad. I hear it can even come on a set schedule (ex. every 6 months). Like I said, I still have intermittent symptoms even when I'm not having an episode though. You are right, people who experience mania can also experience psychosis, as can depressed people.
>>
>>17249576
>Have illness
>Have medicine for illness
>Medicine works
>Don't take medicine because that would be admitting I have illness
>Medicine doesn't work if I don't take it.
>Still have illness, but at least I'm not admitting it

Seen that baldly, does it make sense to you?
>>
>>17249576
eh, go a little crazy. see how it feels.

I wish I would. The world is only devoid of color for me.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.